• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whats more important, religion or people?

Whats more important, religion or people?

• people

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • religion

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters

danieldemol

Premium Member
You are mixing up religious influence with culture/ societies influence!
You are overlooking some religions where oppresion of women or atheists is part of the religion, and you are overlooking the fact that for some people culture is part of their religion.

Society and different cultures have been the culprit against women and treating them bad for centuries - not the religion! IMO It has been a male dominated world from the beginning of time. The strong always dominated the weak! It's a bully thing! Treatment of Atheists has also been an intimidating thing for some! "If you are not with us - you must be against us" - that has always been the attitude of human kind!
Yeah, its a shame that you can't see that oppresion of gays is a bully thing as well. But never mind, in spite of you insisting that anti-homosexuality is part of your religion one day there will be somone to come along and tell us the lie that it was only part of your culture but not your religion.

Double the exposer (to possible date rape situation) and double the crime! As this practice is getting more and more traction - more and more straight people will encounter unwarranted advances (when they are drunk or under some kind of influence). My good friend was subject to such an experience! Date rapes usually don't get reported for many reasons - embarrassment could be one of them! So, you won't have substantial data. Sometimes straight folks could have their guards down when they are with same sex individuals - especially in the case of women in a club/bar. IMO
Heterosexual rapes also go unreported for a variety of reasons as well. So you are just making an unsubstatiated allegation to claim double the rapes and double the crime by gay people. But I suspect your religion would fall apart at the seams if it didn't have unsubstatntiated allegations to fall back on in the abscence of justifiable truth claims.

I was addressing homosexuality there! Scientists won't have data regarding effects in DNA anytime soon because it may requires observation of a subject for his entire life and then they need to observe his offspring and their offspring for generations! Global warming and climate change controversies should make it clear - how hard it is to prove something that requires observation of long term effects (for generations).
Scientists have data from the fossil record. Also with the exception of bisexuals homosexuals don't have any influence on the gene pool because they can't pass on their DNA owing to the fact that they do not reproduce.

As far as global warming/climate change goes it's effects are becoming apparent in our generation, so it won't take multiple generations to work that one out.

I believe - God is not always there to protect and save us while we are here on earth. This is pretty much an automated world under the supervision of devil. IMO. As I mentioned earlier - I believe we are the "rejects" from God's kingdom! We are here to prove some of us can be salvaged. I believe devil is here to entice us and try and throw us off the track from the right path. God is allowing this because we have already proven ourselves incompetent once before. IMO So, I believe God is not too worried about us. Why do you think we are sent in our physical form and not in our soul form? Everything has a reason behind it!

I agree that this is appears to be an automated world, however that is precisely the reason there is no need for a devil to run it. Therefore Occam's razor suggests that a devil running the world is an unnecessary assumtion and unlikely to be true. I also disagree that everything has a reason behind it.

If no damage is produced then sin will be minor. But if God asked to refrain from it then why not try? If you don't believe that God asked then feel free to practice it but better hope you are right about it!
Why would I practice it? I'm not gay. You don't need to be gay to stand up for gay rights any more than you need to be a woman to stand up for women's rights.

...I am not against gay marriage but I continue to hold my belief that it needs to be discouraged...
There you go with your contradictory mixed messages again.

In my opinion.

You are overlooking some religions where oppresion of women or atheists is part of the religion, and you are overlooking the fact that for some people culture is part of their religion.

Oppression of women is part of a major religion? Really? I disagree! Most likely you are misunderstanding it somehow.
Most major religion actually tried to (gradually) ease the oppression of women. A prophet can only do so much! Try going to a biker's bar and announce everything those bikers are doing is wrong. Preach to them that riding bike is wrong, wearing bandana, leather jackets, boots, tattoo is wrong, tell them drinking beer is wrong etc. etc. and see what happens to you. :glomp2: Similarly prophets came at a time when they had to teach a tough crowd - so they had to try and educate them gradually. Had they announced extreme changes then they would have been eliminated immediately.... many were! They didn't had police to protect them! They came at a time when you can say a wrong thing and die for it.

You are overlooking some religions where oppresion of women or atheists is part of the religion

Blame the people!

you are overlooking the fact that for some people culture is part of their religion.

Blame the people! I don't think any major religions told any followers to oppress anyone. God is capable of making his judgments, so why would religion ask anyone to take things in their own hands?

in spite of you insisting that anti-homosexuality is part of your religion one day there will be somone to come along and tell us the lie that it was only part of your culture but not your religion.

You are forgetting about moral compass! Everyone knows what is right and what is wrong. Some decide to overshadow what their instincts is telling them through biased reasonings. A prostitute knows what she is doing is wrong without religion, a thief knows stealing is wrong without religion. They may justify their behavior but who are they fooling but themselves!

So you are just making an unsubstatiated allegation to claim double the rapes and double the crime by gay people

I didn't say that. I said double the exposer to unsuspected and vulnerable situations can increase the number of date rape victims! A female friend of mine was not aware her acquaintance was lesbian and she found herself in a situation with her where she wasn't prepared how to react. Hence I said double the exposer to date rape kind of situation when you are not expecting any unwarranted advances - can double the chances of an experience that you were not asking for. Sometime you could be drunk and you are not in full control! If this activity was discouraged then there will be less occurrence of that. IMO
Double the exposer means - we are already exposed to hetero date rape situations - homosexuality increases that exposer! I hope you understood what I meant this time!

Scientists have data from the fossil record. Also with the exception of bisexuals homosexuals don't have any influence on the gene pool because they can't pass on their DNA owing to the fact that they do not reproduce.

If they don't willingly reproduce then that could be against God's plan but many do find alternative ways and have babies!
If you believe in evolution (natural selection) then you should acknowledge that - need and desire for something with accessibility - could find a way of manifestation into a real trait (in the long run)! So, regardless of how minuscule - they could still contribute a negative influence in the gene pool. It is like a computer virus! The damage could be big one day if it has unrestricted access. For example - many young men (especially in Japan) are into video games and they don't have time for relationships these days. This kind of change in behavior could trigger bigger change in a long run. Video game addiction is playing a similar role as homosexuality. IMO Both counter-productive as far as procreation is concerned! IMO

I agree that this is appears to be an automated world, however that is precisely the reason there is no need for a devil to run it. Therefore Occam's razor suggests that a devil running the world is an unnecessary assumtion and unlikely to be true. I also disagree that everything has a reason behind it.

Tell a doctor who is treating a patient with multiple chronic illness to use Occam's razor approach in his diagnosis. See if he can figure out the cause of his symptoms and treat him successfully that way. The simplest approach is not always the correct approach!

Why would I practice it? I'm not gay.

You should practice what you preach! (just kidding!) ;)

There you go with your contradictory mixed messages again.

It is not up to me to stop anyone from getting married but I could still discourage them if asked for blessing (support). How is that a contradictory message? :confused:o_O I believe God is capable to make his own rulings. :sunglasses:

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Oppression of women is part of a major religion? Really? I disagree! Most likely you are misunderstanding it somehow.
I think you are the one who is misunderstanding. Take for example Deuteronomy 22:13-21 (all translations taken from the NIV);

'If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death.'

So if a man engages in the serious misconduct of slander he only gets a fine, but if a woman engages in the minor misconduct of not being a virgin when she is married she is to be murdered in a brutal manner.

Or take Deuteronomy 22:28-29;
'If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.'
So if a woman gets raped the solution is for her to be married to her rapist?!

Most major religion actually tried to (gradually) ease the oppression of women. A prophet can only do so much! Try going to a biker's bar and announce everything those bikers are doing is wrong. Preach to them that riding bike is wrong, wearing bandana, leather jackets, boots, tattoo is wrong, tell them drinking beer is wrong etc. etc. and see what happens to you. :glomp2: Similarly prophets came at a time when they had to teach a tough crowd - so they had to try and educate them gradually. Had they announced extreme changes then they would have been eliminated immediately.... many were! They didn't had police to protect them! They came at a time when you can say a wrong thing and die for it.
Amongst the problems with the idea of prophets gradually educating a tough crowd is that it implicitly means that a part of their law was false at the time of revelation since they couldn't reveal the fullness of law in one go. This could mean for example that they allowed oppression of gays owing to the tough crowd they preached too. Therefore we should not make the next prophet's job so hard by being regressive and illogical and clinging to outdated laws requiring the oppression of gays that were for a prior time only due to a tough crowd.

Blame the people!

I don't think you are understanding the implication of my belief that all religions are man-made. The implication is that I am blaming the people - that is - the people who invented some of the oppresive religions.

You are forgetting about moral compass! Everyone knows what is right and what is wrong. Some decide to overshadow what their instincts is telling them through biased reasonings. A prostitute knows what she is doing is wrong without religion, a thief knows stealing is wrong without religion. They may justify their behavior but who are they fooling but themselves!
And who are a people that oppress gays fooling but themselves.

I didn't say that. I said double the exposer to unsuspected and vulnerable situations can increase the number of date rape victims! A female friend of mine was not aware her acquaintance was lesbian and she found herself in a situation with her where she wasn't prepared how to react. Hence I said double the exposer to date rape kind of situation when you are not expecting any unwarranted advances - can double the chances of an experience that you were not asking for. Sometime you could be drunk and you are not in full control! If this activity was discouraged then there will be less occurrence of that. IMO
It is discouraged, by having laws against rape.

Double the exposer means - we are already exposed to hetero date rape situations - homosexuality increases that exposer! I hope you understood what I meant this time!
This makes no sense, even if homosexuality is outlawed homosexuals can still break the law and engage in homosexual rape, so you aren't doubling the exposure. Also gays are only about 10% of the population, so adding an extra 10% isn't doubling the exposure anyway. But it was just an unfounded allegation anyway.

If they don't willingly reproduce then that could be against God's plan but many do find alternative ways and have babies!
By adoption they can do it, but adoption does not effect the gene pool. They can also do it using IVF and a surrogate mother, however this is an expensive means which prevents most people from attaining it.

If you believe in evolution (natural selection) then you should acknowledge that - need and desire for something with accessibility - could find a way of manifestation into a real trait (in the long run)! So, regardless of how minuscule - they could still contribute a negative influence in the gene pool. It is like a computer virus! The damage could be big one day if it has unrestricted access. For example - many young men (especially in Japan) are into video games and they don't have time for relationships these days. This kind of change in behavior could trigger bigger change in a long run. Video game addiction is playing a similar role as homosexuality. IMO Both counter-productive as far as procreation is concerned! IMO
You are making an unfounded allegation that homosexuality has a negative effect on the gene pool. As far as procreation is concerned, we live in an over-populated world and encouraging it to be even more overpopulated is one of the major sins of some religions.

Tell a doctor who is treating a patient with multiple chronic illness to use Occam's razor approach in his diagnosis. See if he can figure out the cause of his symptoms and treat him successfully that way.
They do use Occam's razor, it is the whole basis of sticking to evidence based medicine and the reason doctors don't engage in nonsense treatments like exorcisms.

The simplest approach is not always the correct approach!

True, but it is *usually* the correct approach, so if you wan't to deviate from the simplest approach you should have justification for doing so.

You should practice what you preach! (just kidding!) ;)
I do practice what I preach. I am not preaching that people should necessarily be homosexuals, only preaching that peopple should allow homosexuals who want to marry to do so. Since I would allow homosexuals to marry each other I'm practicing what I preach.

In my opinion.

So if a man engages in the serious misconduct of slander he only gets a fine, but if a woman engages in the minor misconduct of not being a virgin when she is married she is to be murdered in a brutal manner.

Even though many religions have a true basis - however I always acknowledged that some of those religions have lost its true face among many of its followers because of corrupted and innovated words like what you have provided. I have been saying truth is out there but it is scattered among multiple religions. The verses you provided - are written by people and when it was written cannot be determined with certainty. Despite of what Bible's blind followers claim - Moses didn't write these. IMO. It is not hard to figure that out. I believe - writers' personal perspective has sneaked in here - also centuries of writing, rewriting, translation and retranslation has caused innovations to sneak in. Not to mention - some changes could be due to deliberate actions on part of certain people in the past. But even with all the corruptions - I believe - it is not hard to sort through these books and figure out the truth. If Jesus saw this - then not sure why he didn't address it. I think the innovation may have a later date stamp!
Anyhow, I also believe prophets only tried to put us on the right track but it is our job to use our moral compass and continuedly seek the truth and stay on a path that aligns with God's intentions.
If you believe God intended us to accept gay activities then it is your prerogative. I hope you are right about it. I am not doing anything to oppress them - so I think I am good as well!
As I said - many believers have adopted their position regarding many things in the Bible and as a result - you don't see men who honor these books and these verses - literally practicing them anymore. They have discarded it or at the least - ignoring it to a point and rightfully so! IMO In today's world - which is different than the world from biblical era - they have adjusted how they should treat women. Things are getting better by the day! I can only imagine how hard it was for women back in the biblical era and maybe these kind of verse gave them a slight better position but "killing" them for failing to prove they were a virgin is unacceptable! This can never be the word of God!

However - this doesn't mean you have to adopt new beliefs altogether and accept homosexuality as an accepted practice. IMO. While dealing with - homosexuality - many changes have been made by many religion already IMO. We have come a long way! Now - in my opinion - it can be allowed to co-exist and gays can be allowed to get married but it doesn't mean it should be welcomed with open arms - because at the end of the day - it is still counter productive towards God's plan! So, it should be discouraged without any oppression! IMO

Also gays are only about 10% of the population

Are you sure? Watching Netflix - it feels like more than half the population is gay! So, Netflix is a propaganda machine!

we live in an over-populated world and encouraging it to be even more overpopulated is one of the major sins of some religions.

Since I believe all souls are made at the same time and we are coming one by one to attain our second chance at redemption - I believe every married couple should do something to facilitate with that Godly undertaking. I believe a married couple who could afford it - should contribute towards that grand plan. The faster all souls can come to the world and receive their chance - the faster the need for this world will end and we will have judgment day! IMO. I believe all our ancestor and predecessors who have already roamed the world - are patiently waiting somewhere for Judgment day! IMO. Homosexuality practices by their descendants - is not something they would be appreciating (if they knew about it) while waiting! IMO

They do use Occam's razor, it is the whole basis of sticking to evidence based medicine and the reason doctors don't engage in nonsense treatments like exorcisms.

You are (as usual) narrowing the world to fit in your examples!
Doctor can never use Occam's razor. If a patient comes in with high fever - there is multiple things a doctor has to do to treat his condition. He cannot just take the simplest method to reduce the fever and let him be on his way. The simplest way to reduce the fever is to use ice! However, you have to find the cause of the fever and until he does - he has to do multiple things at the same time just to make sure the patient survives. Usually the patient would have some kind of viral infection (like the flu or a cold or COVID), bacterial infection, fungal infection, food poisoning, heat exhaustion, serious sunburn, inflammation, a tumor somewhere in the body etc. etc.
So, should the doctor just dip the patient in ice and send him his merry way? Isn't Occam's razor suggest to take the simplest path? It won't allow multiple paths that could turn up unnecessary at the end, Sometimes the doctor has to take multiple seemingly unnecessary measures just to eliminate a possible cause.

Anyhow - this topic has run its course for the moment. I agree that I should let the homosexuals worry about their own faith. I just want to watch some movies without the same sex kissing each other (without any warning). There should be a way to skip those scenes without the use of remote. I like to watch new releases and they are full of gay components.
I was never against gays marriage in the first place. Like I said earlier - marriage technically voids fornication. So, why not try utilizing this possible loophole!
:handwaving:

Last edited: