• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whats Islamic about Nation of Islam?

abdulbasith

The Nation of Islam have a completely different set of beliefs from normal Islam.
I got this information from Wikipedia

-God:
Islam: Allah is one with no partners
NoI: Wallace D. Fard came as Allah incarnate

-Prophet Muhammad (pbuh):
Islam: The final prophet of Islam, no one comes after him
NoI: Elijah Muhammad is the prophet to tell about incarnation of Fard

-Race:
Islam: All are equal regardless of color of skin, judged on behavior
NoI: The original black race of man is superior

-Creation:
Islam: Allah created the universe, first humans were Adam and Eve (pbut)
NoI: Black scientists created the plan which repeats every 25,000 years

-Quran:
Islam: Revealed to Muhammad (pbuh) from Allah through the Angel Gabriel
NoI: Black scientists created and revealed the Bible and the Quran

-Sharia Islamic Law:
Islam: Sacred rules and laws of Islamic life, based on Quran and Sunnah
NoI: Not followed, created own, such as 4-6pm meal or avoid white-flour cake meals

Not only are there MAJOR differences but these beliefs are considered as blasphemy by muslims. So where do the Nation of Islam find a link to Islam?

sadiq

Spain, Morocco, Jerusalem
I always thought they added Islam to their name so they can use an existing religion's reputation to draw more converts.

abdulbasith

I always thought they added Islam to their name so they can use an existing religion's reputation to draw more converts.

One good thing, from the Islamic point of view I guess, is that a lot of Nation of Islam followers later convert to actual Islam:D

Marble

Rolling Marble
As far as I know the Nation of Islam was created as a counter reaction to the racism prevelant at that time.
It seems to be a black supremacy ideology masked as religious movement.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
They pray to Allah at least five times a day, they read the koran but not the sunnah. They don't eat pork and they worship in a mosque. There's other similarities too but I can't think of them right now.

They pray to Allah at least five times a day, they read the koran but not the sunnah. They don't eat pork and they worship in a mosque. There's other similarities too but I can't think of them right now.

I think that the N.O.I. is outside the pale of Islam. You can not eat pork and not be a Muslim (i.e. Jewish or a Seventh-Day Adventist), and you can call your building a Mosque if you want but it won't make you a Muslim.

Zafar Ishaq Ansari, a Pakistani scholar said that the founder W. Fard Muhammad might have been an Ahmadiyya, a sect which is considered heretical by Sunni and Shi'a Muslims. That message of Ahmadiyya was further distored by Elijah Muhammad to encompass black nationalism and racism.

abdulbasith

I think that the N.O.I. is outside the pale of Islam. You can not eat pork and not be a Muslim (i.e. Jewish or a Seventh-Day Adventist), and you can call your building a Mosque if you want but it won't make you a Muslim.

Zafar Ishaq Ansari, a Pakistani scholar said that the founder W. Fard Muhammad might have been an Ahmadiyya, a sect which is considered heretical by Sunni and Shi'a Muslims. That message of Ahmadiyya was further distored by Elijah Muhammad to encompass black nationalism and racism.

Yes I agree with Randy, the points I showed above are considered blasphemy to normal muslims so those minor points won't really make much difference.