• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's a Manitou?

Katydid

Katie Didn't!
My daddy calls me lots of things when I 'splore, like "sugar booger" and "crazydid," but sometimes when I break things he calls me "manitou." He says its something like a non-evil force of destruction or something. Is he using this term right?

cardero

Citizen Mod
What's a Manitou?
Nothing. What's a manitou you?

Last edited:
Anthropologists tend to use the supposedly Iroquoian word Orenda, defined as magical power or unseen mystical force. The Algonquian equivalent in literature is Manitou or Manito. Painted Wolf's definition is as good as any, although spirit in English does not give exactly the same meaning as Manito in an Algonquian language; nor does Manito really correspond to the Iroquoian Orenda. In fact, the Iroquoian word refers to a song, dance, or a medicine society. Hewitt brought the word into anthropological use about a century ago. The real Iroquoian terms for magical power, if that is a useful term, are otkon and ogi. The former refers to earthbound powers and the later to airbourn powers, both of which work together, as for example thunder beings and snakes.
Your daddy was pulling your leg.