• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What you love about Islam

Bismillah

Submit
Someone told me that they are Agnostic and said "convince me". This is what I thought (some parts are from my responses to other online places but Wallahi I am not plagerising :))

Salaam brother,

What you must first understand is the basic reality of Islam; belief in tawhid, or absolute oness of Allah
Swt.gif
. This is the one transcendent truth that we must all abide by and literally "submit" to. It is our duty to recognize that we come from an infallible divine source and that our presence implies a purpose.

Every thing we do and every action that we look forward to is constantly in mind of this one fact. "Woe betide you, O son of Adam! What distracted you from contemplating me? Did you not know that I am the house of trial, the house of darkness, the house of solitude and the house of worms? This is what I have prepared for you. What have you prepared for me?"

We, as humans, have the potential to be the most noble of creatures or to be the most base and whose actions are lower than those even of beasts; for beasts have no ability to rationalize.

“We did offer the Trust to the heavens and the earth and the mountains, but they refused to bear its burden and were afraid of it, and man picked it up. Indeed he is unjust (to himself), unaware (of the end).”
(Chp.33:Vrs.72)

Our duty and our burden is thus monumental. Something so powerful that it can only be man who, so foolishly, agrees to the task and in the process shows his fragility. But his fragility is compounded by his tendency to go astray. For this very reason have we been blessed with the divine words of Allah
Swt.gif
and the mannerisms of the best of us, our Prophets, so that we may know how to correct ourselves.

With this acknowledgment of the absolute transcendence of Allah
Swt.gif
the onus is on us, as humans, to achieve unity with Allah
Swt.gif
. Of course this is an absolute ideal, which none of us can ever attain and the Prophets of the past have come closest to reaching. Through reading and imbibing, to the best of our ability, the moral codes of the Qur'an we reject our pathetic original state and trod on the noble path, though it is fraught with hardship in this world, for we know the reward in the next.

The Islamic goal of achieving tawhid (unity) with God rejects any intermediates and acknowledges both the depth between humanity and divinity and the fact that this journey is a very personal one. It is a reflection of the dualistic tendencies based on both a great ignorance and inability to grasp the nobility of God while being intensely familiar of his creation, after all his power is reflected in the nature that abounds around us and even our own symmetry and inherent beauty (the same beauty that drove the Greeks to spend their lives marveling at the perfection of the human physical state).

“…When I have fashioned him…and breathed into him of My spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him.” 15:29

Tawhid is a stratification and purification of oneself to reduce the plurality of human emotions and desires through one divine facet. To reduce our contrasting disjointed nature into one singularity that fuses the mortal with the divine so that every action one takes holds a barakah (blessing).

It is not asceticism or monasticism in that you still are involved with the mundane, but the trivialities of the mundane become sacred in their own right. That earning bread for the family or pursuing our sexual desires are manifestations of piety.

This plane of spiritual divinity is not alien to us that we our spirit is derived from Allah
Swt.gif
and ideally we must conquer our fallibility for the greater purpose.

“And We have already created man and know what his soul whispers to him, and We are closer to him than [his] jugular vein” 50:16

Ultimately Islam, as I understand it, is a reduction of the plurality of life that represents the chaos of the world and unifying these “threads” into one divine “ribbon”. It is a recurring theme that you will find in Islamic jurisprudence or reducing the many maddhab opinions into one implementation as well as the overarching definition of the oneness of God that fits into the entire scheme of things.

This is tantamount to our faith and is reflective in our practice. While the rest of the "believers" of the world sleep, Muslims make supplication, day and night. While the rest of the "believers" work we bow before the majesty of Allah
Swt.gif
. Life does not dictate our spirituality, our spirituality dictates our life.

We gather as a community of ascetics, fasting in the month of Ramadan and feeding the poor. Standing shoulder to shoulder on our knees and even then, unable to bear the majesty of Allah
Swt.gif
, on the floor in them most submissive and supine position.

We live and abide by a strict moral code that avoids the perils of a sex-driven society increasingly splintered. Muslim families, which are symbolic representations of the Ummah with three generations living under one roof.

That as opposed to “Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s” for Muslims there is no division or contradiction. All of this abode is of our Lord and we live under his divine mandates.

Ultimately we will all be judged by our creator on the merits of our life.

This of course is my humble opinion and I pray you find guidance, Ameen.

The whole aspect of repentance where Allah (swt) will blot out your sins, if you turn to Him and do good deeds, the emphasis on His mercy. I've done a blog article on 'Hope' the link is to the blog is on my profile.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have just read it and i think you have put it beautifully. May i ask what his response was? the Agnostic i mean.

Bismillah

Submit
She questioned me whether animals were really lower than human (in a very lengthy manner think twice as long as my post :))

I was sick that week or I would have responded so I feel a bit guilty but there is a book called Encyclopedia of the Brethren of Purity and within it is a story of the "Debate of Animals". The epistles dating from the 10th century focus on various subjects, but this particular story is one that centers around mans subjugation of wildlife. He puts the ox to work, takes the chickens eggs, eats the bird, steals the honey etc. etc. The animals appeal to the King (a Jinn I think) who organizes a debate between the animals and the humans to see who is indeed superior. At first man approaches it the wrong way and the animals seem on the verge of winning at such as when man states he can build elaborate buildings the bee replies the he is a natural geometor, or the bird talks of his flight etc. etc. However once man points out that he was given a covenant with Allah and entrusted with the Qur'an revealed by messengers of Allah then the animals bow to man and proclaim his superiority. The arbitrator agrees with man but warns him that if he mistreats the creations of Allah he will be condemned to hellfire as warned in mankind's own book the Qur'an.