• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Would David Have Done?

Good-Ole-Rebel

This involves an event in Davids life that has always been of interest to me. It is found in (1 Samuel 27-31). Saul had been trying to kill David for quite some time. David and his army of men flee to Gath of the Philistines. The King of Gath, Achish, accepts David and becomes impressed with him and trusts him. During this time David and his men are secretly destroying other enemies of Israel in the area.

The time comes when the Philistines are going to go to war with Saul and Israel. Achish tells David that he and his men shall join them in this fight and David agrees to go. In this battle to come, Israel would be defeated and Saul and Jonathan slain. But before the fighting occurred, the leaders of the Philistines would not allow David to go with them, as they did not trust him. Achish listened to the Philistine princes and sent David back.

This certainly removed David from a precarious position. My question is, had not Achish sent David back, what would he have really done? Would he have fought against Israel? That God was behind this defeat of Israel and Saul's death is clear in Scripture. Therefore, had David gone, he would not have been fighting against God.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Iymus

This involves an event in Davids life that has always been of interest to me. It is found in (1 Samuel 27-31). Saul had been trying to kill David for quite some time. David and his army of men flee to Gath of the Philistines. The King of Gath, Achish, accepts David and becomes impressed with him and trusts him. During this time David and his men are secretly destroying other enemies of Israel in the area.

The time comes when the Philistines are going to go to war with Saul and Israel. Achish tells David that he and his men shall join them in this fight and David agrees to go. In this battle to come, Israel would be defeated and Saul and Jonathan slain. But before the fighting occurred, the leaders of the Philistines would not allow David to go with them, as they did not trust him. Achish listened to the Philistine princes and sent David back.

This certainly removed David from a precarious position. My question is, had not Achish sent David back, what would he have really done? Would he have fought against Israel? That God was behind this defeat of Israel and Saul's death is clear in Scripture. Therefore, had David gone, he would not have been fighting against God.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Unable to answer this type of what if situation. David came off as very patriotic to Israel and had great respect for the previous Lord's Anointed. The Philistine princes seemed wise in not allowing David to participate.

nPeace

Veteran Member

Good-Ole-Rebel
Interesting question.
My view is that we don't know what God's spirit would have moved David to do.
I think the fact that David was asked to return, and he found that the city had been raided, shows that it was God's spirit that intervened in having David return.
So it appears to me, God did not want David to fight in this battle either way, so he intervened to take David out.
That's how I see it.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Unable to answer this type of what if situation. David came off as very patriotic to Israel and had great respect for the previous Lord's Anointed. The Philistine princes seemed wise in not allowing David to participate.

Yes, I know. It is a 'what if'. Meaning there is no 'right' answer. I used to lean more heavily that David would not have fought against Israel, but would have turned on the Philistine army, as the Philistine princes feared. Now, however, I tend to lean that David would have fought against Israel in this instance.

Consider this. There are important times in Scripture when a person is told something and they react in a false manner. Such as with Sarah when God promised her a child in her old age. She laughed to herself, but not out loud. She spoke to herself but not out loud. (Gen. 18:12-15) But God heard it and recorded it.

I think Davids decision to go with Achish, (1 Sam. 27:2), against Israel would have been one of those times to record David's true thought if he had been lying to Achish. But we are not told that. So I tend now to believe that the Lord stopped David because He knew David would go and fight against Israel. And this would have ruined David personally, and would have ruined God's plan for him as King of Israel. My opinion...at present.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Interesting question.
My view is that we don't know what God's spirit would have moved David to do.
I think the fact that David was asked to return, and he found that the city had been raided, shows that it was God's spirit that intervened in having David return.
So it appears to me, God did not want David to fight in this battle either way, so he intervened to take David out.
That's how I see it.

Yes, many things are taking place around this event. David in returning to Ziglag and the conditions there had his mind totally removed from this event with Israel. And because it concerned Israel, it would no doubt have caused him to think and react in one way or the other. And either way he acted would not be good for him. God didn't want him fighting for or against Israel in this instance. I agree.

Good-Ole-Rebel

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yes, many things are taking place around this event. David in returning to Ziglag and the conditions there had his mind totally removed from this event with Israel. And because it concerned Israel, it would no doubt have caused him to think and react in one way or the other. And either way he acted would not be good for him. God didn't want him fighting for or against Israel in this instance. I agree.

Good-Ole-Rebel
I read something really interesting today.
I had read before, where the enemy camp turned against each other, and slaughtered each other, allowing the small Israelite army, to win the battle.
I know Jehovah was fighting for his people, but I wondered how he used his spirit to turn the men on one another.
Even though I read this before, I'm sure, I only got my answer today.
(1 Samuel 14:21) . . .the Hebrews who had previously sided with the Philistines and who had come up with them into the camp were going over to Israel under Saul and Jonathan.

Oh. So that's how it happens.Former enemies who became allies, reverted to being enemies. Nice.
No wonder the Philistine didn't want to take any chances with David.
That would have been disastrous.
David was a mighty warrior, and so was Jonathan. (1 Samuel 14:12, 13) Of course, Jehovah was with them, so who could stand against them.

Awesome!

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

Good-Ole-Rebel

My speculative guess is that God would if needed have intervened in some (other!) manner to prevent David from having to fight against Israel, such as for instance by allowing him to be knocked out or have his horse run away, or whatever, as practical, to result in him not fighting Israel, but that is mere speculation. As it is though, it seems already that God intervened, in helping prevent David from the battle in the manner you just reminded us of above. God can easily cause an individual to notice something, as needed, for example (just one of thousands of possibilities). More speculations: If David had fought, perhaps he might have manage to knock out Israelites without killing them, for instance. Or perhaps he could have been caught up in a traffic jam of bodies and not get near the fighting...etc. There are so many possibilities.

Good-Ole-Rebel

I read something really interesting today.
I had read before, where the enemy camp turned against each other, and slaughtered each other, allowing the small Israelite army, to win the battle.
I know Jehovah was fighting for his people, but I wondered how he used his spirit to turn the men on one another.
Even though I read this before, I'm sure, I only got my answer today.
(1 Samuel 14:21) . . .the Hebrews who had previously sided with the Philistines and who had come up with them into the camp were going over to Israel under Saul and Jonathan.

Oh. So that's how it happens.Former enemies who became allies, reverted to being enemies. Nice.
No wonder the Philistine didn't want to take any chances with David.
That would have been disastrous.
David was a mighty warrior, and so was Jonathan. (1 Samuel 14:12, 13) Of course, Jehovah was with them, so who could stand against them.

Awesome!

Yes, it has always been that way with Israel. When the Lord is with them, the battle is theirs. No matter if it is Jericho, or the Six Day War of 1967. And if the Lord is not with them in the battle, just the opposite. They cannot win. No matter if it's Ai or this battle with the Philistines where Saul and Jonathan were slain.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

My speculative guess is that God would if needed have intervened in some (other!) manner to prevent David from having to fight against Israel, such as for instance by allowing him to be knocked out or have his horse run away, or whatever, as practical, to result in him not fighting Israel, but that is mere speculation. As it is though, it seems already that God intervened, in helping prevent David from the battle in the manner you just reminded us of above. God can easily cause an individual to notice something, as needed, for example (just one of thousands of possibilities). More speculations: If David had fought, perhaps he might have manage to knock out Israelites without killing them, for instance. Or perhaps he could have been caught up in a traffic jam of bodies and not get near the fighting...etc. There are so many possibilities.

Yes there are.

Good-Ole-Rebel

74x12

Good-Ole-Rebel
I believe he would have turned on the Philistines and fought for Israel ... I just don't see him ever fighting Israel for the Philistines. Nor should he ...

Good-Ole-Rebel

I believe he would have turned on the Philistines and fought for Israel ... I just don't see him ever fighting Israel for the Philistines. Nor should he ...

I held that view also but have since changed as I explained in post #(4). A thing that bothered me was that God in this battle was against Saul and Israel. So, would David have been against God if he fought against Israel? If David had turned on the Philistines, would he have then been fighting against God? Which means he would not have prevailed.

I know it is speculation. But it is interesting.

Good-Ole-Rebel