• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What/who is your God?

King Phenomenon

Outer space is infinite and that is my god. I cannot think of anything that even comes close to the majestic mystery that is infinity. The chosen one comes in at second place. If you're unfamiliar with the chosen one check out my featured thread titled My True Belief. If I had to pick a 3rd place it would be love.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You have a very broad definition of God.
Just being infinite or majestic doesn't = God.

RestlessSoul

It’s not something I could ever begin to define. Something beyond all human understanding, I think. But I could no more do without nourishing the spirit through conscious contact with that which I call God, than I could do without food, water, or sunlight.

Notthedarkweb

Indian phil, German idealism, Rawls
Trivially speaking, I am a Christian of the Nicaean variety, so my God is the one contained within the orthodox creedal interpretations of the Bible as determined by the councils recognized by the Anglican Communion. Though I think that's not a very satisfying answer to a person who is not a Christian. And I don't want to do a complete positive theology, since I am a member of a reformed church after all. But through the criterion of the Word, I think the Godhead of Christianity probably conforms to what Calvin and Hooker, along with Barth, probably thought: an utterly simple perfection that is analogically related to us as humans (since God's perfect being cannot be conveyed to imperfect creature) through the revelation of God's self-divided form on the cross as the Son, Jesus Christ, mediated through God's activity in the world in lifting our reason upto the point such that we can comprehend God's self-revelation through the Holy Spirit. All of this is done through the free grace of God, as opposed to some mechanical conception of divine nature as the Scotists had (Calvin was, after all, inspired by Aquinas and Augustine.)

Notthedarkweb

Indian phil, German idealism, Rawls
You should clarify your usage of God, then. Most prople think of him as a willful personage.
Also not trivially obvious that the universe is infinite, considering we only can posit empirical proof for the observable universe with light. And I think the sense in which physicists posit the term "infinite" is somewhat more akin to what Hegel would call bad infinity, an infinity of magnitude as opposed to a perfect or good infinity. E.g. the set of all even numbers would be infinite, though smaller than the set of all numbers. But God is usually posited to be unconditionally infinite.

Outer space is infinite and that is my god. I cannot think of anything that even comes close to the majestic mystery that is infinity. The chosen one comes in at second place. If you're unfamiliar with the chosen one check out my featured thread titled My True Belief. If I had to pick a 3rd place it would be love.

My God is spirit, which I think is greater than space or universe.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

We know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
My God is love and justice

My God is Universal, God is beyond any religion. God has no religion

My God is spirit. God is a concious force/spirt

Goldemar

A queer sort

The God that I worship is the Creator of all human souls/spirits (as well as all Angels). He is not the creator of the material world though. One of His creations, an evil, lower, god-like being, is the creator of the material world.

King Phenomenon

The God that I worship is the Creator of all human souls/spirits (as well as all Angels). He is not the creator of the material world though. One of His creations, an evil, lower, god-like being, is the creator of the material world.
i agree. infinity is beyond material

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
My Gods are the primordial parents. They are creator and destroyer. Their children, I believe, are the millions of deities of countless pantheons, Yahweh included.

My God is a dying and rising God. My Goddess is the Mother of the Universe.