• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What stupid taxes do you have where you live?

gtrsgrls

I just started this to see what other retarded taxes are out there.I live in ashevill N.C. and we actually have a rain tax.Yes,they tax you for the rain that falls off of your house.They are also considering one it is called a view tax.For those that have ever visited western north carolina,you know that the mountains are among the most beautiful.Well,the city has decided to take advantage of that beauty and tax you on the mountains that you can see from your house.I don't blame you if you don't believe me,I probably wouldn't believe me either.So what stupid things are you taxed for?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
gtrsgrls said:
I just started this to see what other retarded taxes are out there.I live in ashevill N.C. and we actually have a rain tax.Yes,they tax you for the rain that falls off of your house.They are also considering one it is called a view tax.For those that have ever visited western north carolina,you know that the mountains are among the most beautiful.Well,the city has decided to take advantage of that beauty and tax you on the mountains that you can see from your house.I don't blame you if you don't believe me,I probably wouldn't believe me either.So what stupid things are you taxed for?

I've been to Ashville several times and that doesn't shock me in the least. The "communist hippie population" there is ever-growing. (Have you ever been to the Brew & View? That place is awesome). Anyway, the most idiotic taxes are the car tax, the income tax and the property tax. I'd like to see them all repealed in favor of a consumption tax.

Solon

Well. rain tax, amazing,if that was applied here, we'd be bankrupt. I don't think we have any really silly taxes, but way too many taxes. Since New labour came to power, there have been 96 new tax measures, from new ones, such as Airport tax, Insurance policy tax, and other steps which have entailed reducing personal allowances, a tax increase in all but name. Then there are local taxes, the list is never ending, Tax to watch TV, called the licence fee, too to many taxes. People live and work to pay taxes, and more taxes.........and even if you don't work, you can't escape VAT, which is applied to virtually everything you can buy, it's called value added tax, never understood that, where's the value in paying a purchase tax, still puzzled ????? for value, the Gov sticks on 17.5% for itself, even on your utility bills............

Solon

gtrsgrls

Darkdale said:
(Have you ever been to the Brew & View? That place is awesome
QUOTE]Do you the Ashevill Pizza and Brewing?If that is what you mean than ya,I've been there.I went there a few weeks ago,they were playing War of the Worlds.It's a pretty cool movie despite how unbelievable it is.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
gtrsgrls said:
QUOTE]Do you the Ashevill Pizza and Brewing?If that is what you mean than ya,I've been there.I went there a few weeks ago,they were playing War of the Worlds.It's a pretty cool movie despite how unbelievable it is.

I guess. The one I went to had a bar upstairs and a thearter downstairs, where you could play pool or fooseball, there were couches and so forth as well. It's been about five years since I was there... but it was really cool.

gtrsgrls

Darkdale said:
I guess. The one I went to had a bar upstairs and a thearter downstairs, where you could play pool or fooseball, there were couches and so forth as well. It's been about five years since I was there... but it was really cool.
I think we might be talking about two different places because I don't think the pizza and brewing company has two levels.We probably are because there's a lot of cool hangouts all over asheville.(despite it's bad taxes):rolleyes:

jonny

In Oregon they are talking about using GPS to tax you for driving on the roads and freeway. I guess that certain roads would be different prices at different times during the day. Look for this in a state near you in the future. Oregon has been the home of many innovative taxes that have become wildly popular in other states.

Aqualung

Tasty
jonny said:
In Oregon they are talking about using GPS to tax you for driving on the roads and freeway. I guess that certain roads would be different prices at different times during the day. Look for this in a state near you in the future. Oregon has been the home of many innovative taxes that have become wildly popular in other states.
Oregon is one of the only states that has a state income tax, as well as the federal income tax. I've always thought that was one of the stupidst laws ever. It may not be as dumb as the rain tax, but it does more damage.

jonny

Aqualung said:
Oregon is one of the only states that has a state income tax, as well as the federal income tax. I've always thought that was one of the stupidst laws ever. It may not be as dumb as the rain tax, but it does more damage.
I think most of the states have a state income tax...Washington is an exception.

At least you don't have sales tax. Move to Vancouver. Work in Washington and shop in Oregon and SAVE ON TAXES!!! :)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
jonny said:
They do that in london now it is called a congestion charge I think it is about £5 per day.
They don't use Gps but use sensors and auto-check ypur number plate as you enter and leave central london.
They tell me london is a much better place to drive now.

Terry__________________________--
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Aqualung

Tasty
jonny said:
I think most of the states have a state income tax...Washington is an exception.

At least you don't have sales tax. Move to Vancouver. Work in Washington and shop in Oregon and SAVE ON TAXES!!! :)
I thought it was the other way around - most states had sales tax, whereas Oregon has income. And it's worse with income. For one, income tax is easier to evade, so it's higher than a sales tax would be. Secondly, tourists into Oregon don't pay for the state that they are "using."

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
The tax system in the U.K is a shambles. There is income tax, local authority tax (based on the market value of the house in which you live). This latter tax has been increased by 35% (I believe that was the figure, it certainly is in the low 30's), in the last 5 years, beating price indexing and inflation by strides.

We have a tax which is added to the sale of goods price (as I know you do in America). When this VAT (value added Tax was introduced, the purpose of it was to be levied on anything sold that was considered a luxury. It is applied on most sale goods. I am aware that one exemption is there for children's clothes, but I am unsure of other exemptions (appart from certain 'accessories' sold to disabled people). Strangely enough, the tax is applied to walking sticks, even if you nproduce an invalidity certificate, which I have, because "Even perfectly fit people can choose to purchase a walking stick".

Solon

Food is exempt from VAT, I have never understood the term, Value Added Tax, because I fail to see where the value is, it should of been called GLGT, Gov loaded goods tax, which I might add, is also levied as I mentioned earlier, on Gas, Electric, Water and Telephone Bills. There's no escaping the Tax man, apart from the rich who employ smart accountants.