• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Stanwood Cobb reported about Abdu'l-Baha. I met Stanwood Cobb in the 70s.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
The following is a pilgrim note, I note, but the following is reported about Abdu'l-Baha:

In the course of His lectures here and abroad ‘Abdu’l-Bahá discoursed on many subjects. Where did He get His wide knowledge of things and of affairs? He had had but one year of schooling at the age of seven. He had been a prisoner all His life. He had few books, no scholarly library, no encyclopedias.

Yet at Schenectady, as ‘Abdu’l-Bahá was being shown around the General Electric Works by Steinmetz,[^8] this wizard of electricity was observed to be eagerly absorbing ‘Abdu’l-Bahá's elucidation of electricity. The Rev. Moore, Unitarian clergyman who was present [pg 60] at the time, testified to me: "Steinmetz's jaw seemed to drop open as he drank in ‘Abdu’l-Bahá's talk."
Stanwood Cobb, Memories of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, 122-123

"‘Abdu’l-Bahá, do You know everything?" Saffa Kinney is said to have asked.

"No, I do not know everything. But when I need to know something, it is pictured before Me."
Stanwood Cobb, Memories of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, 125-126

I was struggling to remember this latter quote, but then I remembered the words "do you know everything?". I found this using Ocean 2.0.

Believe it or not in the 70s sometime Stanwood Cobb was in our area and gave a lecture. He had personally known Abdu'l-Baha and in his 90s gave a lecture where I live in Ohio. From Wikipedia:

Stanwood Cobb (November 6, 1881 – December 29, 1982) was an American educator, author and prominent Baháʼí of the 20th century...

After looking at Theosophy and Reform Judaism and other themes in religion'[13] Cobb investigated the Baháʼí Faith after a series of articles in the Boston Transcript on the religion attracted his attention. He pursued the interest to Green Acre conference center in Eliot, Maine in 1906 during his studies at Harvard Divinity School preparing for the Unitarian ministry. Sarah Farmer much affected Cobb,[13] and Thornton Chase was giving a series of talks.[14] It was on that occasion that Cobb became a Baháʼí.[4]

Between 1909 and 1913 he met with ʻAbdu'l-Bahá five times (twice in Akka and several times during the latter's travel to Europe and the US).[4][15] In 1911 Cobb and a number of others gave talks in honor of the personal invitation by ʻAbdu'l-Bahá to the pilgrimage of Louis Gregory.

Anyway, I encountered in person someone who knew Abdu'l-Baha in person. He lived to be over 100, you may note.