• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What or who is a Sufi?

I was first introduced to Sufism while researching a project on Encarta 2003. The poetry and particularly the way the Sufi poets refered to God as 'Beloved' was very strange ( I had been raised up to fear God as the Almighty) and yet also very beautiful. I found some Sufi music and also began to look for Sufi poetry on the net. I believe in the 'Beloved' as the Supreme being who is both one with the universe but also transcends it. To me this being is both father and mother and I believe that universal love is the most important doctrine of all. I am aware of the fact that there are traditional Sufi sects which lean towards orthodox Islam and universal Sufism which is as Islamic as it is Christian or Judaic for that matter. What I am asking to anyone who knows but particularly to people who consider themselves to be Sufis is 'what or who is a Sufi'.

john313

warrior-poet
it sounds like you are a closet sufi ;) a good place to check out is hashmalah .
the sufis i know are very generous and loving people, they follow all universal truths and study many scriptures, not just 1 book. any questions you have about sufis can be answered in complete detail at hashlamah.org.

peace, love, and john denver

RS1346

Hi LoveroftheBeloved,

This is a very old post, but I thought I'd give my two-cents :p

Sufism is more of a word for mysticism in Islam - in that sense many people have claimed certain historical figures to be Sufis. For example: Mawlana Rumi, Hafiz, Saadi, and many other poets - some people claim that they are "Sufis".

However, this may be true in one sense and not true in another. For instance, these were very spiritual men who had the ability to pull out some of the most precious gems from the Qur'an. As the hadith goes:

"Treasures lie hidden beneath the throne of God; the key to those treasures is the tongue of poets."

So, in the sense that they were very spiritual men, they could be said to be Sufis -

but really this is what Muhammad had encouraged all Muslims to do.

In another sense, Sufis can be defined as those who belong to a Sufi "order" or follow "Sufi doctrine". This development can somewhat be seen as a sect of Islam in that there is a certain doctrine that the followers of a Sufi order follow and that there is also a hierarchy as well as a system of pedagogy (Shaykhs etc...).

However, it becomes difficult when the lines between a school of mystical or philosophical thought and a full-fledged order with separate doctrine, laws, and hierarchy begin to blur.

Moreover, there is great variation amongst those who claim to follow "Sufi doctrine". Some of the most evil figures in history have been "Sufis", but also some of the most pure and good hearted souls have at one time or another been or lived as Sufis.

So, all in all, it's veery difficult to have a fixed definition of who is a Sufi :p

Hope that answers your question a bit!

However, it is really best for people of all faiths to try and overcome the dichotomy between the mystical and the practical and realize that they are both interconnected and, in fact, complimentary. Take the lives of the Prophets of God as the best example :)!

Best wishes,

Greg

Last edited:

fenrisx

I was first introduced to Sufism while researching a project on Encarta 2003. The poetry and particularly the way the Sufi poets refered to God as 'Beloved' was very strange ( I had been raised up to fear God as the Almighty) and yet also very beautiful. I found some Sufi music and also began to look for Sufi poetry on the net. I believe in the 'Beloved' as the Supreme being who is both one with the universe but also transcends it. To me this being is both father and mother and I believe that universal love is the most important doctrine of all. I am aware of the fact that there are traditional Sufi sects which lean towards orthodox Islam and universal Sufism which is as Islamic as it is Christian or Judaic for that matter. What I am asking to anyone who knows but particularly to people who consider themselves to be Sufis is 'what or who is a Sufi'.

once you get past the fear thing and see god as the ultimate goal; gnosis, union, and self improvement, see faith beyond dogma, pray beyond church/mosque/temple, you might just be on your way.
peace

Kirran

Premium Member
An old thread, but just to add to the definitions of Sufi: my neighbours back in Wales were a Sufi family, meaning they raised their children as Sufi, in the same way one would raise their children to be Shi'ites, or Catholics. So it was very much a sect for them.