• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What movies cover the Indus Valley society?

Rakovsky

What movies cover the Indus Valley Civilization that lasted until about 1500 BC?
I am most interested in films that directly take on this topic, although a movie that discusses it to a major extent in passing would count.

I found:

NETFLIX

• Raja Rasoi Aur Anya Kahaniyan - (deals with food of these two regions where the Indus Valley society lay)
  • Kahi Suni - Episode 24 Dwarka myth, discusses the story of Krishna in this city located in the Indus Valley society's region.
  • Stealing History 2006 discusses people stealing Harappan artefacts

Amazon
  • Mohenjo 2016 famous new fiction movie
  • Secret World of Wellness Ancient India
  • Timelines Of Ancient Civilizations
Documentaries in Russian
  • Час Истины : Хараппская цивилизация и Мохенджо Даро
    (Hour of Truth: Harappan civilization and Mohendjo Daro)
  • Хараппская цивилизация. Как легенда стала исторической былью?
    (Harappan Civilization, How the legend became a historical past)
Documentaries directly on the topic

Cultural-Historical connections to the Indus society
  • Treasures of the Indus 1: Pakistan Unveiled
  • Treasures of the Indus 3: Of Gods and Men
  • Culture and Math: The Indus Valley http://www.films.com/id/15946
  • The Trident (2007)
  • Hanuman, 1998 (for a childish audience)
Misc. Worthy Mentions
  • Religion (2007) ;
  • Life, Death and Reincarnation 2015 ;
  • Yoga Unveiled (2004);
  • Faith Connections (2013);
Question: What Provinces of India today are located on the site of the Indus Valley civilization?

India-Map-with-Modern-Countries.jpg

635441416345370187_indusmap.gif

indusmap.gif

I found these provinces in a partial list of sites:
Gujarat, Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh (6 sites), Rajasthan (3 sites), Jammu-Kashmier (1 site at Manda)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indus_Valley_Civilisation_sites

The full list of international regions would include Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and Jammu/Kashmir.
IVC colonies can be found in Afghanistan while smaller isolated colonies can be found as far away as Turkmenistan and in Gujarat. Coastal settlements extended from Sutkagan Dor in Western Baluchistan to Lothal in Gujarat. An Indus Valley site has been found on the Oxus River at Shortughai in northern Afghanistan, in the Gomal River valley in northwestern Pakistan, at Manda,Jammu on the Beas River near Jammu, India, and at Alamgirpur on the Hindon River, only 28 km from Delhi. Indus Valley sites have been found most often on rivers, but also on the ancient seacoast, for example, Balakot, and on islands, for example, Dholavira.
http://www.crystalinks.com/induscivilization.html

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You have very good information here. Mohenjo daro film was a flop, though it had Hrithick Roshan, a popular Bombay film hero. "The film was released worldwide on 12 August 2016 to generally negative reviews." (Wikipedia) I did not think of seeing it since I know how horribly Indian film producers can murder history. I think, made in the cast of Gladiators or Ben Hur, the hero fighting lions, crocs and armies; and perhaps marrying the princess in end. Some images here:

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=M...wwindow=1&tbm=isch&q=mohenjo+daro+film+poster

Rakovsky

Thanks! Russian sources sometimes pick up on things that Western ones don't. After all, they are the same haplogroups (R1A) as the IndoEuropean Hindustanis (37% of Pakistanis are R1A) and have the same language family (Satum) and a couple pagan gods like Perun / Varuna.

One discussion by L. Sokolova was on the fact that archaeology in Okunevo in Siberia showed similarity to Harappan sites. For example, they both showed horns on humanoid heads in some artefacts. And there are Indus sites in Turkmenistan and on the border inside Afghanistan (Shortugai).

One Russian article claimed that there was glazing on the streets and walls of harappan cities. The materials could have been burned in such a way that they have a glass-like quality. Do you know anything about that? Supposedly "vitrification" has been used in ancient Peru and ancient megalithic Europe and it's been a mystery why the Stone age Europeans did that.

The big topic in Russian amateur video clips is whether Harappan cities got nuked. But I think it's a modern urban legend.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Perun in Vedas is 'Parjanya', another name at a different time for Indra.

HYMN CII Parjanya.
1 SING forth and laud Parjanya, son of Heaven, who sends the gift of rain. May he provide our pasturage.
2 Parjanya is the God who forms in kine, in mares, in plants of earth, And womankind, the germ of life.
3 Offer and pour into his mouth oblation rich in savoury juice. May he for ever give us food.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv07102.htm

Book 7 was written by my fore-fathers, the Vasihthas. The hymn is credited to Vasistha Maitrāvaruni and Kumara Agneya.

This and 42 other results for Parjanya in RigVeda: https://www.google.co.in/search?domains=www.sacred-texts.com&q=RV+Parjanya&sitesearch=www.sacred-texts.com&sa=Search&client=pub-8617793260330971&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&cof=GALT:#008000;GL:1;DIV:#336699;VLC:663399;AH:center;BGC:FFFFFF;LBGC:336699;ALC:000000;LC:000000;T:0000FF;GFNT:0000FF;GIMP:0000FF;FORID:1;&hl=en&gws_rd=cr&ei=TpbmV6qoJMfzvATd8rG4Dw

upload_2016-9-24_20-31-6.jpeg
R1A is common in Europe also. :) www.eupedia.com

I will check about 'vitrification'.

Last edited:

Rakovsky

Side question:
May I please ask how many adherents of the Krishna movement actually believe the stories about Krishna?
Or for that matter how many serious professed or active adherents actually believe them? For example, if it says that Krishna played with bulls, do they think that Krishna actually physically used hands and put them on physical bulls in India? Or do they think that these are myths with "spiritual"/moral value like Greek myths about Zeus or Sophia?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, Krishna went to graze his cattle every day with his friends and Mother Yashoda packed his lunch. As is the won't, they returned only at dusk. Krishna and his companions teased the vilage belles that came to Yamuna to collect water. The children had a lot of fun. They played many games including ball games (Kanduka kreeda). One ball fell into the river and Krishna got it back after defeating Kaliya serpent. Krishna was a master flute player. The whole world came to a stop when he played his flute. They did all what a gang of village boys do.

Krishna sporting with village girls, Krishna at play, Krishna having lunch, Krishna stealing the clothes of village girls, Krishna playing his flute, Village girls scolding Krishna for breaking their earthern pitchers, Krishna dancing on the head of Kaliya the serpent and holding its tail to get his ball back while the serpent's wives ask for his mercy..

upload_2016-9-26_12-26-44.jpeg
upload_2016-9-26_12-27-43.jpeg
upload_2016-9-26_12-27-56.jpeg
images
images
images
upload_2016-9-26_12-36-5.jpeg

Hari bol. :D

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Rakovsky ji
Side question:
May I please ask how many adherents of the Krishna movement actually believe the stories about Krishna?
Or for that matter how many serious professed or active adherents actually believe them? For example, if it says that Krishna played with bulls, do they think that Krishna actually physically used hands and put them on physical bulls in India? Or do they think that these are myths with "spiritual"/moral value like Greek myths about Zeus or Sophia?

as Guadiya Vaisnava we belive that what we call the pastimes of Sri Krsna are factual occurances and that events listed are actual events , some more major events have now been verified , dates given by reference to the position of planets in the Mahabarata verifiy the time frame that has allways been put forward as correct to the day , time and date also given for the dissapearence of Dwarka the City of Krsna have now also been verified , ....

P.S. .....yes , .... I am serious adherent , .....serious and happy

Hari Hari Bol

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, I am an atheist. I take these as mythology/fun stories. But majority of Hindus do believe that it is truth/historical.

Rakovsky

I'm watching "Stealing History". In the movie, Iqbal, a Pakistani farmer, is told by a jewelry collector that he has found Sanskrit texts from 1500 BC.

QUOTE:
"We thought they were bewitched Hindu texts So we couldnt take them home with us. THey had to be burned. There were alot of them. We used them for cooking tea." ~Iqbal, Pakistani farmer

The movie concludes that hundreds of text fragments have wound up in British and Japanese private collections, like those of the Norwegian collector Schoyen, who is based in Norway and Britain.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Thanks! Russian sources sometimes pick up on things that Western ones don't. After all, they are the same haplogroups (R1A) as the IndoEuropean Hindustanis (37% of Pakistanis are R1A) and have the same language family (Satum) and a couple pagan gods like Perun / Varuna.

One discussion by L. Sokolova was on the fact that archaeology in Okunevo in Siberia showed similarity to Harappan sites. For example, they both showed horns on humanoid heads in some artefacts. And there are Indus sites in Turkmenistan and on the border inside Afghanistan (Shortugai).

One Russian article claimed that there was glazing on the streets and walls of harappan cities. The materials could have been burned in such a way that they have a glass-like quality. Do you know anything about that? Supposedly "vitrification" has been used in ancient Peru and ancient megalithic Europe and it's been a mystery why the Stone age Europeans did that.

The big topic in Russian amateur video clips is whether Harappan cities got nuked. But I think it's a modern urban legend.
The nuking of Indus valley cities was brought up in Chariots of the Gods or similar titles in the late 60s early 70s, as I recall, based on the presence of some vitrified finds...I don't know what the actual archaeological evidence is, but that's when I first heard about it...

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Aupmanev, ..
Aupmanyev or Aupmanyov will be a better Russian rendition. :D
"We thought they were bewitched Hindu texts So we couldn't take them home with us. They had to be burned. There were a lot of them. We used them for cooking tea." ~ Iqbal, Pakistani farmer.
Yes, a whole lot were lost to Islamic invaders. There was no central collection. The various hand-written manuscripts (recensions) were with individual teachers at their homes. The teachers were killed and their homes burnt. This kept on happening intermittently for some 800 years.
The nuking of Indus valley cities was brought up in Chariots of the Gods or similar titles in the late 60s early 70s, as I recall, based on the presence of some vitrified finds...I don't know what the actual archaeological evidence is, but that's when I first heard about it...
Depends on whther you are a believer of mythology as history or not. Atom bombs in Harappan civilization. Indeed! ;)

Last edited: