• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What means Dakshina ?

Hello :)

In a book I found the term "dakshina bandha". It seems to be connected to "ritual" or "bounded by ritual". So far, I knew the term "dakshina" only as "right" and "south".

What is the root of daksina/dakshina ?

Best wishes,
Sini

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
In the Vedic context it refers to the payment made to a Brahmin (priest) for performing a ritual, ceremony or sacrifice nd traditionally consited of a cow or cows. Sometimes a king could give many cows. Cows were great to have because they provided milk and plowed the lands.

That's all I really know.

Wannabe Yogi

Hello

In a book I found the term "dakshina bandha". It seems to be connected to "ritual" or "bounded by ritual". So far, I knew the term "dakshina" only as "right" and "south".

What is the root of daksina/dakshina ?

Best wishes,
Sini

I think this is the info you might want

Today most westerners categorize Tantra into two types of spiritual practices . Dakshinacara ( Westerns call this the right-handed path) and Vamacara the ( Left handed path.) Many who use these terms don't understand that Left handed is a pejorative. In Asia it’s the hand you wipe your butt with, while the right hand is the clean hand that you eat with.

This is incorrect for the following reasons.

No Tantric sect has only two paths or acharas, there are from 7 to 9 forms of of spiritual practices not only two.

Dakshinachara is called the favorable path that is because it is seen as the gate way to the higher paths. This path is seen following the rules of spiritual practice but not being able to put them into practice in your day to day life. This is the fourth path.

Vamachara is the 5th path. It is not the left handed path but the path of the beloved. You try to see your beloved ( God ) in every thing you do. This is when you attempt to spiritualize all areas of your life. If you have sex you make that your religion and you turn it into worship. If you have a desire to drink follow a ritual to do it. Every area of your life is seen as a ritual of the beloved. This is to see the pair of opposites ( Good and Evil ) as the same. Both needs to be transcended.

This is what I have been taught. It is also written about in the Introduction of the Mahanivana Tantra by Arther Avalon.

You are right It also means south.

Last edited: