• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what laptop should I get?

ScottySatan

I currently have a 13 inch macbook pro that has the highest specs you could get on it 3 years ago.

I use a laptop to take my work home and will pay several thousand dollars for the best machine.

I make pictures and true 3D movies for work, and I want to be able to do my video editing on my laptop. I'd like to be able to have my 3D cube of volumetric pixels spin slowly as it plays. It's abut a 10 Gb file and my mac can play that at about one frame per second if it goes at all. Editing one of these can take hours to finish.

I need a laptop to be portable. I don't care if it's light or thin, I don't want it to be broad. I want to be able to use it in an airplane seat. My 13 inch is about the ideal size.

I prefer the mac OS, but macs don't do graphics cards, which would probably be helpful.

What's the best powerful compact laptop? Last time I think it was my apple. I've looked at stuff like alienware, but those seem too big for me. .

biased

Thinkpad series is the best.

I have a maxim, people who buy Apple are idiots (no offense)

Apple
1.) overcharges
2.) relies on its "coolness" selling point
3.) less powerful than comparable laptop PCs (like Thinkpad)
4.) is used by those smug as **** liberal hipsters who I believe should be damned to the eternal hellfire so Allah can punish them.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I see what you mean about the Alien ware being more bulky. The new powerbooks are more powerful than most things that are out there. You could possibly get by with a Macbook Air, but stick with the powerbook. The previous two versions of the Macbook Air have had some overheating problems in the batteries, plus while they are comparable in power to the powerbooks they have half the ram and will throttle down the CPU speed to keep the temperature low. You can get a Thinkpad with a little more memory and power, but not with the small size of a powerbook.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd go the Alienware14 or a custom build, and live with the extra bulk.
But if you want something light and competent, maybe the ThinkPad X1 carbon?
I had to make this choice 6 months ago, and got an XPS13 which was pretty good, but there were a few constraints on me it sounds like you don't need to worry about.

biased

Don't buy an alienware. Overpriced garbage. Get a thinkpad. I've been using computers since I was 8 now 25 and I know hardware like the back of my hand. I've built all my computers, have managed servers, know how to secure servers and I know how to break servers (blackhat). **** alienware. **** Dell (who owns alienware IIRC) and **** all those corporations; go local, support your local computer stores; order from newegg if you must use a corporation then amazon but never under any circumstances buy retail.

You are getting SCAMMED. They play off people's ignorance.