• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your opinion of Mark 14:51-52

Ajax

One passage that has always seemed to defy understanding is Mark 14:51-52

"51 And a young man followed him, with nothing but a linen cloth about his body; and they seized him, 52 but he left the linen cloth and ran away naked."

What does it mean and more importantly, why did the author insert it in the Gospel?

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince

"51 And a young man followed him, with nothing but a linen cloth about his body; and they seized him, 52 but he left the linen cloth and ran away naked."

What does it mean and more importantly, why did the author insert it in the Gospel?
Nakedness was not SUCH AN ISSUE in those times. It merely meant that he was SO DESPERATE to get away since he knew that to admit to being a disciple of Jesus might mean imprisonment or even death by stoning.

Ajax

Yes, I somehow agree, but can not understand why the author of a Gospel thought it was essential to write this incident, pinpointing also that the man was wearing a linen cloth only and he left it running naked...Did the author have a reason to write it?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Yes, I somehow agree, but can not understand why the author of a Gospel thought it was essential to write this incident, pinpointing also that the man was wearing a linen cloth only and he left it running naked...Did the author have a reason to write it?

Some say that the boy could have been Mark.
A detail like that seems to indicate a witness report. The witness could have been Peter, the person whom Mark is said to have heard the story of Jesus from.

Ajax

Some say that the boy could have been Mark.
A detail like that seems to indicate a witness report. The witness could have been Peter, the person whom Mark is said to have heard the story of Jesus from.
It could be...Peter was supposed to have checked Mark's gospel.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Ajax, this is likely imagery which alludes to something else; however an alternate explanation I've heard is that it is Mark telling his own story firsthand, adding in a personal detail. I prefer the former explanation, because there seems to be almost nothing in the NT that does not allude to something else. It is like a web of allusions to other things, ideas, figures of speech. Everything seems to link to something else.

What might it allude to? First of all it reminds me of those NT passages about being tested as with fire, probably because of Colossians 3:15 "If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."

Secondly the young man loses his robe in the scuffle, which is not Ok and which may be the point of the passage. In the law of Moses it is very bad to take a poor man's cloak and not return it (Exodus 22:26). Therefore in this story the priests servants wrong Mark and are made guilty (figuratively) by taking the robe of a poor man. Obviously they have not actually taken a poor man's robe as surety for a loan, but the imagery seems related. Most likely this story is not so much about these priests and about this young man as it is about a political situation, and the story is speaking to that political situation. What is going on in 1st century? What decisions are the Jewish people having to make, and what does Mark want them to decide? In this case it probably is an accusation that the poor are not being treated well. Which poor people? It is the poor gentiles who are kept out of the synogogue and not allowed to etc etc. Its probably about catholicism.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Ajax, this is likely imagery which alludes to something else; however an alternate explanation I've heard is that it is Mark telling his own story firsthand, adding in a personal detail. I prefer the former explanation, because there seems to be almost nothing in the NT that does not allude to something else. It is like a web of allusions to other things, ideas, figures of speech. Everything seems to link to something else.

What might it allude to? First of all it reminds me of those NT passages about being tested as with fire, probably because of Colossians 3:15 "If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."

Secondly the young man loses his robe in the scuffle, which is not Ok and which may be the point of the passage. In the law of Moses it is very bad to take a poor man's cloak and not return it (Exodus 22:26). Therefore in this story the priests servants wrong Mark and are made guilty (figuratively) by taking the robe of a poor man. Obviously they have not actually taken a poor man's robe as surety for a loan, but the imagery seems related. Most likely this story is not so much about these priests and about this young man as it is about a political situation, and the story is speaking to that political situation. What is going on in 1st century? What decisions are the Jewish people having to make, and what does Mark want them to decide? In this case it probably is an accusation that the poor are not being treated well. Which poor people? It is the poor gentiles who are kept out of the synogogue and not allowed to etc etc. Its probably about catholicism.

o_O or maybe this one is more appropriate :facepalm:

Ajax

Ajax, this is likely imagery which alludes to something else; however an alternate explanation I've heard is that it is Mark telling his own story firsthand, adding in a personal detail. I prefer the former explanation, because there seems to be almost nothing in the NT that does not allude to something else. It is like a web of allusions to other things, ideas, figures of speech. Everything seems to link to something else....................
Interesting thought.. thank you.

SarahJackson

Without the weight of possessions, life gets lighter too. Living with less stuff means living with less worries. And that creates space for more joy and meaning -being in the now.

We might not realise it, but everything we own or want adds weight to life. The more we crave, the more pressure on what’s next. It’s easy to get caught up in the rat race like this. To keep on chasing the next thing. The next job needs to be better. The next car needs to be bigger. Eternal pressure on what’s to come. Before we know it, we have captured ourselves in a life full of stress.

Better be like the naked man, and fear no pickpocket.

Ignatius A

I once heard an interesting interpretation about this passage. This happened immediately after Judas betrayed Jesus. The young naked man who ran away was Satan. He was there to witness the completion of his plan that he thought would destroy Jesus. He enticed Judas to betray Jesus and was there to watch. He also ultimately tormented Judas until he killed himself.

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
I think I just said it… Being identified as a follower of Jesus would mean being questioned, imprisoned, and/or even stoned.

Anyone in a situation like that couldn’t care less if they were clothed of naked. Besides, he wasn’t COMPLETELY naked. He still had his turban on his head );