• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Unitarian Universalism?

Gaurick

Well, I'll say this. I've read over all the documentation provided through this forum, and then some, and interpreted it into my own views on what Unitarian Universalism is. If I am correct in assuming so, then perhaps it may just be what I'm looking for.

Unitarian Universalism is a belief centered around all other beliefs. It is a religion for the open minded and optimistic that, instead of believing in this or your damned for eternity, pull the good from all religions to aid in daily living. It's a place for those who have their own twist on religion, but base their twists on teachings from other religions.

If this is wrong, please correct me. I'm very curious, and very interested in learning more of the Unitarian beliefs. Based on the beliefs that the bible is indeed a more or less true account of what may have happened, I use that to guid me in my own faith and beliefs. Such as yes, I believe Jesus existed. Do I believe he was the son of God? Yes... but this is because of the beliefs that I have, not because the bible says it. My belief is somewhat of a different twist on HOW he is the son of God. But none the less, I believe that the historical accounts are accurate, however distorted they may have become over the many, many years and translations.

However, I could go on and on about that forever... heh. I more want to discover if I'm right about what Unitarian Universalism is, and the system of beliefs. Once I get that cleared up, I can be a happy camper. :) Thanks for your time.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Gaurick said:
Unitarian Universalism is a belief centered around all other beliefs. It is a religion for the open minded and optimistic that, instead of believing in this or your damned for eternity, pull the good from all religions to aid in daily living. It's a place for those who have their own twist on religion, but base their twists on teachings from other religions.

What is Unitarian Universalism? That's never a simple answer lol. But in regarding to what you said you believe it is, I'd say, Yes and No to what you stated. I wouldn't say that UUism is centered around all other beliefs, but instead we are centered around the idea that one should be open to all beliefs and find what is right for them. Not all UUs pull the good from all religions and incorporate them into their daily lives. Instead they are open to the truths that are in all religions and are able to accept these and learn and grow from them. Indeed, UUs often have their own twist on religion, however there are some Christian UUs, who believe in the teaching of the Bible and of Jesus. Where they differ from other Christians is they acknowledge that other religions are just as worthy as the one they've chosen. We have Atheists and Agnostics in our church. We have Buddhists in our church. We have Humanists in our church. While we all "worship" (I don't like that word, but it's the best I can do this morning lol), together and do social action projects together, we don't necessarily incorporate our beliefs together. We are all free to find the path that suits our individual needs. This is what is so special about Unitarian Universalism. There is no set creed or dogma. No one is going to tell you what or how to believe, it's up to you, you're responsible for your own spirituality and the church is there to support you along the way.

We strive to live by the 7 Principles of the church:

-The inherent worth and dignity of every person;

-Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;

-Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

-A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;

-The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;

-The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;

-Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

And that's it.

Gaurick

Well, that's pretty much what I was looking for. I've already tracked down a place near me to attend services, and find out some one on one info. Thank you for the clarification. Much of what you said was what I was trying to get across, I'm just not always good at expressing myself through written text... heh. Thanks!

Runt

LOL, I think they can help ANYBODY on their journey... except people who want DEFINITE answers... those people would probably be more comfortable in a dogmatic religion...

Isis

do any of you know how I could find information about UU organizations around me? (I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada for referance)
It seems interesting and I'd like to check it out in person, rather than over the net.

This sounds really amazing, it is kinda the way I think, I will have to read into it more, sounds a little more structured than I am comfortable with right now, but from what you have said I am probably over reacting, lol...

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I've no doubt that the "structure" varies from church to church. But I think overall the "religious" part is very unstructured solely because everyone is free to believe as they feel is right. There is a "worship" service, although it is hardly that, IMO. A Unitarian Universalist service has been described more like a college class with intellectual ideas being discussed, social action projects being planned and people just sharing and communing with each other. Other parts of the churches activites are very structured. I can think of no other church, at least in my community, that is more involved in the community and with a wider array of issues and causes. Everyday there is something going on at the church; CUUPS meetings (the pagan group), Buddhist meditation night, yoga classes, Prayer vigil of peace, Humanist meetings, the GLBT group, etc... There is SO much to be involved with that it's impossible NOT to find something that interests you and that you want to be involved with. So that part I would say is structured, at least at my chuch.

I would encourage you to check out your local UU church if you're interested. It's really hard to describe what one is all about. I think it's better to experience it first hand. You may find it's not for you, but then, you might like it. :goodjob:

funky and fresh

my agnostic father has been going to UU church and ive been skeptical of going because the whole idea of church and church service kinda of scare me, seeing as im agnostic, but now i really wanna check it out, i think im gonna go with my dad next time he goes to a UU service.

Colin_Admin

funky and fresh said:
my agnostic father has been going to UU church and ive been skeptical of going because the whole idea of church and church service kinda of scare me, seeing as im agnostic, but now i really wanna check it out, i think im gonna go with my dad next time he goes to a UU service.

It cant hurt to check it out. I have never been to a UU service but it sounds like something i could try out.

Runt

I encourage you to do so. The services are nice... I don't want to say "better" than other religions' (because that would be arrogant)... but certainly nice. The minister or lay people who give sermons present topics that are barely religious... they are more social-spiritual, and nobody expects you to believe that the sermon is valid simply because a minister is telling you that "this is truth". Instead, they explore a subject from a unique point of view to encourage the congregation to explore further and decide for themselves. Very refreshing.

Mal

Hi Gaurick,

In my own search for the truth I have found that there are two ways to find it
1. Try and climb to the truth using mental speculation and
2. receive the truth from those who know.

The first method is difficult because of our limitations. eg: our senses are limited, we make mistakes and some of us have a tendency to cheat.

The second method is easier, for example if we want to learn how to be a doctor it is much quicker to learn from someone who is already a doctor. Religion is based on this second method of receiving truth from those who know Jesus, Buddha etc

Now if the truth was represented by a nice juicy mango at the top of a big tree and it was being passed down from person to person sitting on the branches of the tree then history has shown us that the Mango or truth can or damaged or changed on it's way down. Sometimes we might be getting a walnut instead of a mango. Even though the walnut may be presented to us very nicely it is still a walnut.

So may I ask you and anyone else who would like to respond how do you personally sort through the mangos and walnuts.

Best regards,
Mal.