• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Torath Mosheh and why I use the term

Ehav4Ever

In another thread it was claimed that the terms "Torath Mosheh/Torat Mosheh/Torat Moshe" or "Torath Mosheh Jew" is something that either a) I made up or b) I have rebranded. First, I will restate what I have mentioned in the past to describe what Torath Mosheh is:

1681647416970.png

Now, if this is something that I made up it would stand to reason that the statement "Torath Mosheh" would not be found anywhere. Next, if it is a statement that I rebanded it would mean that the statement means one thing but I alone have done the following:

Rebranding is the creation of a new look and feel for an established product or company. The usual goal of rebranding is to influence a customer's perception about a product or service or the company overall by revitalizing the brand and making it seem more modern and relevant to the customer's needs.
In this thread, I will be showing the following:
  1. I didn't create the term, it has been used throughout a wide variety of Jewish communities.
  2. The term is used, going back thousands of years, to mean what I wrote above.
  3. How it makes sense for me to describe myself and my community this way on an English forum such as this.

Ehav4Ever

Now concerning the claim that I just made up the statement above. Starting in the book known as Yehoshua bin-Nun (Joshua), perform mitzvoth per (תורת משה) Torath Mosheh (the written Torah) is described.

1681660550217.png

In the Tanakh, in the book of Malachi 3:22 - Torath Mosheh is also mentioned. The commentary of Metzudoth Dawith also details what this means as the judicial system of the Torah.

1681658749250.png

The question of course would then be, "What do they mean by the statement Torath Mosheh?" A similar statement to what I have made is found in the Kuzari by Rabbi Yehudah Halevi, as shown below. I.e. that there is the Torah from Mount Sinai and also the Sanhedrin Judicial system, centered in Jerusalem, that received the teaching/instructions of the Torah from previous generations.

1681658228734.png

The below source details that same information I stated as the definition of Torath Mosheh, i.e. that it was passed through the generations from the leaders of the Israeli people.

1681658673945.png

Last edited:

Ehav4Ever

In short, I stated the following in another thread and it is a summary of what I have stated.

1681660919606.png

1681661138012.png

Note: I have circled a mistake I made in black. The first time the exact statement is referenced in the Hebrew Tanakh is in Yehoshua bin-Nun (Joshua).

Ehav4Ever

Concerning the claim of "rebranding"

Rebranding is the creation of a new look and feel for an established product or company. The usual goal of rebranding is to influence a customer's perception about a product or service or the company overall by revitalizing the brand and making it seem more modern and relevant to the customer's needs.

Thus, in order for me to guilty of "rebranding" I would have to guilty of creating a new look and feel of an established product. Thus, I would have to be stating something that a) not found any ancient Jewish community, b) creating something that no one has ever said or spoken about in any ancient Jewish community, and(or) c) creating a look that is foreign to the original.

Again, going back to the point I made at the start, the book Torah MeSinai, that I listed earlier states the following.

1681708342454.png

1681707595957.png

1681707652694.png

The above explains the same things I have mentioned about how both the written Torah and the Oral Torah came about, from Hashem to Mosheh ben-Amram and was pass down throughout the generations of Torah based Jews. Also, in the following article there is a discussion of what is Torath Mosheh and what is not.

1681708298827.png

Both sources, and the previous ones point to exactly what I noted above and what I stated is not a rebranding of anything since I am quoting from sources that are considered by the Gadolim of the generation as being Torath Mosheh. Further, it is important to note that the concept of using such a term is actually mentioned in the below article from Wikipedia.

1681709118919.png

1681709149868.png

1681709095166.png

Thus, going back to how I have consistantly stated what I mean by the statement Torath Mosheh
1681708561752.png

Ehav4Ever

One important point I also need to make against the "rebranding claim." One of the things I have been to enjoy is the ability to learn from rabnonim from various communities, in and outside of my community. The list of those from who I learned Torah are the following.

1681736163289.png

rosends

One thing I forgot to mention. In the Tanakh our ancestors were divided up in the following ways.
  1. 12 tribes, each with their own distinct leader and each with their own distinct flag.
  2. 12 tribes, each with their own land allotment in different geographical regions.
  3. Three divides based on Cohen, Levi, and Yisrael.
  4. Political leadership divide from the tribe of Yehudah.
  5. Mitzvoth for men and mitzvoth for women.
  6. Mitzvoth for men between the ages of 20 and 50.
Hashem could have skipped all of the above and not made divides and simply made every the same for all.

Even halakhically, there are areas of the Talmud that makes divides on particular ideas that a Jew may have that is against the Torah in some way or the foundations of it.

Thus, there are times in life when divisions exist in reality and there is nothing wrong with noting them for clarity.
Also, according to some, 12 tribes, each of which had its own minhag

Ehav4Ever

Also, according to some, 12 tribes, each of which had its own minhag

Exactly, and at the core of all 12 was the Torah (written and oral) that was received from Hashem and the rulings fom the Sanhedrin in Jerusalem. Thus, it was similar to how Dati Mizrahim, Sephardim, Teimanim, Ashkenazim, Beta Israel/Ethiopains, Hassidim, Benei Menashe interact with each other.

rosends

Exactly, and at the core of all 12 was the Torah (written and oral) that was received from Hashem and the rulings fom the Sanhedrin in Jerusalem. Thus, it was similar to how Dati Mizrahim, Sephardim, Teimanim, Ashkenazim, Beta Israel/Ethiopains, Hassidim, Benei Menashe interact with each other.
Yes -- it is an amazing idea, that even divisions on the level of minhag are all wrapped up in a misinai concept (not that this covers EVERY current minhag, but that the idea of a minhag does not mean that the other peron "wrong" automatically).

Ehav4Ever

One last thing before I go. A very important point about the benefit of learning (תורת משה) "Torath Mosheh" and how it is possible, even in this generation.

1682074729070.png