• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Sense, and Justification, in Calling Jesus "the Truth"?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
So, sort of like when He tells the Cannanite woman to get lost, or 300 kicks people into Hell on judgement day... those attributes? Do you have any proof that Jesus drank wine normally, and not non-alcoholic grape beverage? Is that technically a 'matzah', or just dry bread?
Yeah those attributes too, justice and righteousness. Righteousness seems to be his thing, "High Priest of righteousness" Good bread and wine was the new covenant, it fits the symbolism. The new covenant where a little bit of leaven in your bread is forgiven, and if it was grape juice you wouldn't call it wine. Jesus' Priesthood was after the order of Melchizedek, who also brought bread and wine.

Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, -Genesis 14:18

Hawkins

I'm aware of the expression in John's gospel; "I am the way the truth and the life, and no man come to the father but by me".

What i'd like to establish is the sense in calling a person "the truth"? - Does this simply mean to imply that Jesus was a truth-telling person? Because technically, "truth" is in dictionaries called things like "the true or actual facts of a case". Or as Schopenhauer said: "Truth is the reference of a judgment to something outside of it as its sufficient reason". Thus when we examine conventional definitions of the word "truth", they become incoherant (apparently) when applied to the descriptor of a person. To say "Jesus is the Truth" is similar a kind of statement to "Elvis Priestley is the State of Affairs". It's unclear what is actually been said here. With no reference to something outside of a thing as its cause or sufficient reason; simply calling Jesus "the Truth" doesn't really proclaim a single fact; so is it a worshippy thing, to say this of him? A product of liturgy in the gospel authorship?

Thanks for your time.

[-0G-]​

If you are sent back to stone age by a time machine to tell them that black holes exist. In this regard, you are the truth the way for humans there to get to the fact that black holes exist. If the existence of black holes concern their lives, then you may well tell them that, "I am the truth, the way and the life, without me no one can get the fact that black holes exist".

Jesus is the one holding the truth and whole truth about the heavenly things humans won't know within their life time. That's what's meant by "Jesus is the truth".