• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the meaning of life?

godischange

Sorry if this is off topic, but I didn't know where to put it...

I was thinking... One of the most commonly riducled (although highly provacative) questions ever asked was, "What is the meaning of life?" I have come up with a thesis that, though is very pessemistic, would convey that everything we do in our daily lives is done to prevent to death. The meaning of life is to avoid death. It is not a comforting or hopeful reality to any, I am sure, but what else is there? If it is not true, what can we think? Will the meaning of life forever elude us? What do you think? :confused:

Lightkeeper

Part of me says, "who cares?" I think each person has to find their own meaning and that there is no one meaning. I do believe we are meant to have an enjoyable experience. It's a matter of doing positive things. If there were no death we probably wouldn't enjoy the life experience at all. It probably would have no meaning.

Scott1

I thought I might bring this thread back and see if we can start some discussion on the topic.... after all, isn't this THE question in life?

Why are we here?

Scott

standing_on_one_foot

The meaning of life? I don't think it's so much to avoid death (because we all fail, in that case) so much as it is to live it. The details are often a bit on the fuzzy side of how to do this, I suppose, but there's something to be said for happiness (although I should think not at the expense of others).

Scott1

standing_on_one_foot said:
The meaning of life? I don't think it's so much to avoid death (because we all fail, in that case) so much as it is to live it. The details are often a bit on the fuzzy side of how to do this, I suppose, but there's something to be said for happiness (although I should think not at the expense of others).
So we live our lives for ourselves?

Would any other behavior (not at the expense of others) be ok if it made us happy?

standing_on_one_foot

For ourselves? Did I say that? I just said live it, not who for. And again, the details are fuzzy. I lost the instruction manual, apologies :p For the most part, I think it's OK to do what makes you happy if it doesn't hurt anyone. I don't think that's all there is to it, though, I just think it's something. And of course, there's an awful lot we do that can/does hurt other people, even if we intend to or not, our lives are so...connected, for the most part.

To make a long thought short, I've really no clue at all. What do you think?

Scott1

I lost the instruction manual, apologies
He he........ great post! I never even got a peek at the manual, I'm totally lost!

I am hoping that some other members jump on this thread.... I don't have enough time tonight to go into detail.... I'll check in later if I can.

Come on people! Why are you alive? What's the point?

Scott1

What basis is there to presume meaning beyond intentionality?
I didn't say there was or wasn't..... I want to know others opinions.

Would I be safe to assume that you believe there is no meaning beyond one's personal interpretation or feelings on the subject?

Lightkeeper

I don't think there is any one meaning of life. Each person has to find their own meaning. We are beginning to understand how we got here, scientifically. As to why there is life, it may just be the outcome of a combination certain natural conditions. Life is probably different on different planets under different conditions.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Monty Python answered that question decisively.......don't believe me? Just rent the video!

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
First off... 42. :D

On a more serious note, life's here to live. To romp and roll around and play and to try and not squash any toes while doing so. And maybe to find someone to share the happy with.

SaraLee

What is the meaning of Life?

Gosh, the age old question is right! I certainly am not sure. I've read so many books on what others think the reason is, and I'd like to believe it is an opportunity to learn and grow or to live happily and come to realize what love is, to serve others and have others serve us, to praise God and end up in some heavenly realm or reasons like that, and maybe all those reasons have some validity. But when I get right down to the nitty gritty of it, it seems to me that we are alive to promote new life, to continue the life cycle. Survival is so ingrained in us, in animals, and I beleive, in all living thngs so much so that it seems to be the predominate reason to stay alive and procreate. I think if trees or animals could talk, they would ask for the proper conditions to keep on living, just like we do. Maybe animals and trees know in some way of their eventual death too, who really knows, and do all they can to keep the life force moving inside. So maybe the basic meaning of life is to promote more life.
SaraLee

Faust

First off... 42.
I have a pain in all the diodes in my right side. (hehehe)
I never expected to run into another Douglas Adams fan on this forum!
I would simply ask the question, why do we believe that life has to have a meaning?
Isn't this the one question that causes most of our problems?
We take ourselves so seriously, judging, measuring the value of our actions as if we are being graded. We often miss opportunity to live and enrich the lives of those around us!

standing_on_one_foot

Because as humans, we like to think we have a purpose? Of course we take ourselves seriously...we're awfully important to ourselves! I mean, when you get right down to it, where you you be without yourself? I, for one, am never seen in public without me being present, let me assure you.

OK, this has gotten just plain goofy. Shutting up now :p

Runt

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the meaning of life is to avoid death. Rather, I would say that a preoccupation of the living is to avoid death.

For life to have a meaning, I think something other than natural law alone would have had to create life. Without a creator of some kind, life doesn't have any meaning but what we give it... which in many ways is comforting, at least to me.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
SOGFPP said:
What basis is there to presume meaning beyond intentionality?
I didn't say there was or wasn't..... I want to know others opinions.

Would I be safe to assume that you believe there is no meaning beyond one's personal interpretation or feelings on the subject?
No - I spoke of 'intentionality', not 'interpretation'. I see no value in attempting to interpret that which, in my opinion, has no independent existence.

To put it another way: what is 'meaning' other than 'that which is/was intended'? This, of course, invites the question: "Intended by whom?" The theist/teleologist will necessarily answer this one way, and the philosophical naturalist another.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Faust said:
First off... 42.
I have a pain in all the diodes in my right side. (hehehe)
I never expected to run into another Douglas Adams fan on this forum!

Among such intelligent people, of course there should be a few Adams fans in the crowd! :jiggy:

cardero

Citizen Mod
Our PURPOSE (why are we here) is as varied as there are stars in the universe. The meaning of life as it has been described to me is RESPECT.