• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the goal of Religion?

Booko

Deviled Hen
*** MOD POST ***

Please remember to address the issues at hand and avoid personal remarks in this thread.

4.) While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. We will allow faith to be debated and discussed by a member only when there is no hostile, rude, or insulting opinion of another's faith.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Hema said:
Cool! :)
Shri Satya Sai Baba says that there is one religion - the religion of love.

There is also the religion of frustration.

Love is all humanity needs. Love, Meditation and a Vacation once a year away from everybody.

I think what Shri Satya Sai Baba meant is that there is only one "true" religion.
There are many religions that don't practice love.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Jonathan Rex said:
And how do you know that the Prophets were Prophets?
They said so? Circular logic (by your definition).
Your religion is based on circular logic. All religions are.
There is not a single religion that isn't based on circular logic.
This is firstly, a different argument, and one that you can't prove because you simply weren't there to see these prophets and find out why they were accepted as such, and secondly I don't accept anyone's individual claims because they say so, but only if the mind of the Church says so.

How is that left to interpretation? How many ways can you interpret, "Go into your room, shut your door and pray to God in private?"
He is talking of prayer, not worship, and the issue is one of bragging, showing off, wanting to look holier than your neighbour. Corporate prayer as part of worship is not like this at all and I pity you if you fail to see the difference. You really do sound like an ultra-low church Protestant.

Can you read? Seriously?
What is your definition of prayer and worship?
You're the one that has a serious problem with comprehension because you cannot see that prayer does not equal worship. They are not synonyms to anyone but the most narrow minded, iconoclastic Protestant. They aren't synonyms in English and they certainly aren't synonyms in Koine Greek.

What's the puzzle? Your understanding of Christianity sounds so Protestant that if you weren't generally anti, you'd be one. You clearly have absolutely no understanding of the beliefs of those of us whose churches long pre-date the last 500 years.

Interpretations? He says, "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen." He says that immediately after telling them not to pray in the synogogues in front of people like the Phairsees whom he calls Hypocrites. How many ways can that be interpreted. Give me another way that one could interpret this, please.
I told you how it should be interpreted above and, even without Holy Tradition it is pretty flipping obvious. The fact that you fail to see that this is the natural reading of that episode shows just how much your view has been warped by low church Protestant understandings.

You do know that Martin Luther is the one who conjured up the freedom to Interpret scripture nonsense, right?
Don't teach grandma to such eggs. I'm an ex-Lutheran myself and have been arguing against the lunacy of sola scriptura here from long before you arrived. I dare say I have a much greater grasp of the history of the heresy than you do, not to mention its ramifications. What I offered was not individual interpretation but the interpretation of the Church - the same Church that wrote and compiled the canon of Scripture in the first place.

Then don't believe it. Go your way then.
You have not provided another option.
You're just denying that it means exactly what it says.
Afraid not. I have repeatedly told you that this is not a ban on corporate worship and why. Now I've offered you the 2000 year old understanding of what it actually was a ban on, and that's actually exactly what it says. You simply want to deny Holy Tradition and prefer a Protestant flavoured individual interpretation (ironically after the Luther quip).

How do they maintain those fancy buildings? God drops money out of the clouds?
What, maintenance of unheated buildings? It's not exactly expensive. I'm on our parish council and know well. All the money we receive is from voluntary donations and most of it goes to help parishioners in need. There are no tithes. Some monasteries also make things like icons, prayer roopes etc. and these are sold. Historically, most of the 'fancy' buildings were gifted to the Church by rich patrons such as kings and restoration work, for instance in the post-communist era - is usually undertaken by government and/or charities as the Church rarely has enough money. Don't make assumptions that because a church is pretty the owners are rich. I'm pretty certain that most unadorned, American Protestant churches are way wealthier than my parish and even the poorest American parish is probably much wealthier than the parish in which I was married even though you'd probably assume the opposite if you entered the church, it being a 15th century historical, architectural and artistic treasure - and one which just happens to be located in a tiny village populated almost solely by subsistance farmers.

James

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jonathan Rex said:
Your religion is based on circular logic. All religions are.
There is not a single religion that isn't based on circular logic.

Could you demonstrate the circular logic in:

Taoism
Buddhism
Shinto
Any Native American religion

Dr. Nosophoros

I'd say religion overall generally seeks to connect one with our unconcious abilities, whether those abilities are attributed to outward sources or to oneself depends on the system. Symbols, figures, deities, names etc. are only compartmentalized thoughts put in a fathomable form so it can be understood or connected to to tap into the power of that which is not undertandable. For many, that which is outside the parametres of accepted understandings or outside of ones (those who created those parameteres) control is generally feared and is taught to be feared, there is a fine blurred line between religion and psychology.

Sunstone said:
Could you demonstrate the circular logic in:

Taoism
Buddhism
Shinto
Any Native American religion

Taoism, Buddhism and Shinto taught for the followers to become, not to follow.
If somebody follows Buddha correctly they will not be Buddhist, they will be Buddha.
If somebody follows Taoist, they will not be Taoist they will be the Tao (at least one with it). I don't know anything about Shinto, but it's likely the same.

I was mainly referring to the Western Religions. I shouldn't have said all. If I were going to choose a box to live in, it would either be a Taoist or Buddhist box.

Booko

Deviled Hen
JamesThePersian said:
Don't make assumptions that because a church is pretty the owners are rich. I'm pretty certain that most unadorned, American Protestant churches are way wealthier than my parish and even the poorest American parish is probably much wealthier than the parish in which I was married even though you'd probably assume the opposite if you entered the church, it being a 15th century historical, architectural and artistic treasure - and one which just happens to be located in a tiny village populated almost solely by subsistance farmers.

Oh, I can attest to this, James. There's a church on the other side of the highway from me, a "megachurch" that has millions.

My son once remarked that it looked like a huge corporate office building inside and out (he'd been there with friends) and somehow that seemed to fit their focus.

I suggested that while he may be correct, he would be better to keep such opinions to himself, or at least not take them outside the house.

Many things are true, but something being true doesn't make it polite or helpful to say so. :cover:

athanasius

The goal of my religion is to find, kidnapp, and force dwarfs and hobbits into weightloss programs. Its always been that way ever since our founder Cathel founded the Catholic Church! I don't know what the goal of your religion is?

Booko

Deviled Hen
athanasius said:
The goal of my religion is to find, kidnapp, and force dwarfs and hobbits into weightloss programs. Its always been that way ever since our founder Cathel founded the Catholic Church! I don't know what the goal of your religion is?

As long as you don't gnap my gnarden gnome, you're alright by me!

athanasius

Booko said:
As long as you don't gnap my gnarden gnome, you're alright by me!

Gnomes are safe. Not to worry! That is unless its a blue gnome. Our religion has strict rules about blue gnomes. They must be tickled for 12 hours straight, hung upside down and put on a strict Jenny Craig program for at least two months:sorry1: !

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Jonathan Rex said:
What is the objective of individual religions?

Islam - To submit to Allah and do good
Christianity - To follow Yeshua's (Jesus) words, worship God and do good.
Judaism - To follow the law of Moses, worship God and do good.
Buddhism - To follow the teaching of Guatama, become a Buddha and do good.
Hinduism - To follow Krishna, and do good.
Zoroastrianism - To do as Zoroaster taught, and do good.
Taoism - Become one with the Tao, and do good.

There is a pattern here. This pattern has been ignored for thousands of years and has been replaced by dogmatic religious politics. The purpose of all religions was to establish a code of ethics by which the civilization lived unanimously and to take care of one another.

Whether you are Taoist, Confucian, Zoroastrian, Hindu, Buddhist, Jew, Christian, or a Muslim (or one of the many minor religions/cults around the world) the purpose of your belief system is to take care of other human beings and serve humanity by giving something back to the earth, while you are here.

What good is faith if your actions are dead?
What does it mean to believe in God if you do not take care of your brothers and sisters (other human beings)?

Even an Atheist or Feminist can agree on this objective, so what is holding us back?
Why can people not believe in God in their various different ways and worship in the privacy of their own home, in their various different ways and live their faith by taking care of each other instead of discussing their faith?

Anybody who has to convince another person of their beliefs, whether they be Christian or Atheist, is really trying to convince their self. They want other people to accept their views because they are not comfortable practicing their religion alone.

There are flaws in every religion and as long as human beings continue debating the flaws, we as a world will never transcend the nonsense and achieve World Peace.
I would tend to think that we all have maybe a small degree of interest in trying to attain to some better position not just in this life,but some future position in the next.That I believe is the internal mutual interest.
I think that is down inside all of us,obscured by a mirage of practices,mindsets,religious protocols etc.
I mean if you just want to be good for this life and in the eyes of your fellow man that is great but I THINK IT IS FUTILE and even empty to some degree.
I think everyone wants to find the answers to life ,why am I here,what is our purpose,where am I going , where did I come from.
Some may have some inclination as to why we are here ,for instance, to love our fellow man,but I think there is deep desire to connect with a greater intelligence and power that we all inherently know ,but really don't know.
Thus you have the world religions
It is really undefinable to many

Does anyone agree to some degreee of what I am saying.
Can we be honest and really say what we want and hope for is that there is more to life then just living the good life,materially,socially,spiritually in the here and now

syo

There is a pattern here. This pattern has been ignored for thousands of years and has been replaced by dogmatic religious politics. The purpose of all religions was to establish a code of ethics by which the civilization lived unanimously and to take care of one another.
exactly. that's why I believe all religions are perfect, because they all teach goodness.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس

Whether you are Taoist, Confucian, Zoroastrian, Hindu, Buddhist, Jew, Christian, or a Muslim (or one of the many minor religions/cults around the world) the purpose of your belief system is to take care of other human beings and serve humanity by giving something back to the earth, while you are here.

What good is faith if your actions are dead?
What does it mean to believe in God if you do not take care of your brothers and sisters (other human beings)?

Even an Atheist or Feminist can agree on this objective, so what is holding us back?
Why can people not believe in God in their various different ways and worship in the privacy of their own home, in their various different ways and live their faith by taking care of each other instead of discussing their faith?

Anybody who has to convince another person of their beliefs, whether they be Christian or Atheist, is really trying to convince their self. They want other people to accept their views because they are not comfortable practicing their religion alone.

There are flaws in every religion and as long as human beings continue debating the flaws, we as a world will never transcend the nonsense and achieve World Peace.
Religion (all) simply provides two things for us;
1) Comfort
2) Community