• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the genealogy of Jesus through Mary's line?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
But the bible says that Heli's son (who was named Joseph) obviously did have a sexual relationship with Joachim's daughter Mary, and that Jacob's son (who was also named Joseph) later adopted their son. But since paternity is just a matter of opinion without reliable paternity tests, Jesus' biological father could have been a Roman centurion as some have suggested, or even the milkman.
Either way, if Jesus actually existed, then he had a biological father as well as an adoptive father call Joe.
Not when it specifically says "Mary had not known a man" and confirms that The Word was made flesh (John 1). There are more reasons for this, of course.

In our scriptures, as per my signature, we just can't throw out the scriptures that contradict our position. We must find the harmony in it. So think of the scripture as a strainer... we put our ideas in the strainer and throw out the ideas that the Word (strainer) doesn't let pass through. For me, when scriptures says "that which is birthed is done by the Holy Spirit and not man", I throw out the Centurion or Joseph option.

However,

You certainly are a free-will spiritual agent that can believer your version. I support your right to do so.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
But who did he inherit his Y chromosome from? And unlike David, Jesus only claimed to be the son of a man, and only claimed to be a prophet even though his own family didn't believe him. And Jesus didn't claim to be without sin either (Mark 10:18 Luke 18:19).
Well that's the question isn't it.

We don't actually know the facts surrounding his conception. All we have are unreliable legends about him. If Joseph is not his father, then some other man would be his father. Perhaps Mary didn't know who the father was, or knew, but chose not to reveal. This would make Jesus a mamzer (a child born of an illicit relationship) and in addition he would have no tribal status. Not Judah, and not Davidic lineage.

But of course, Christians believe God was his father, and that the Y chromosome was miraculously created out of nowhere. In which case, he STILL would have no tribal status.

Monty

Not when it specifically says "Mary had not known a man" and confirms that The Word was made flesh (John 1). There are more reasons for this, of course.

In our scriptures, as per my signature, we just can't throw out the scriptures that contradict our position. We must find the harmony in it. So think of the scripture as a strainer... we put our ideas in the strainer and throw out the ideas that the Word (strainer) doesn't let pass through. For me, when scriptures says "that which is birthed is done by the Holy Spirit and not man", I throw out the Centurion or Joseph option.

However,

You certainly are a free-will spiritual agent that can believer your version. I support your right to do so.
And I throw out the fantasy that a god was Jesus' biological father, in the same way that Psalm 2:7 says that David was his god's begotten son too, even though David was a murderer who said that his love with Jonathon was more wonderful than with any of his wives and concubines (2Sam 1:26). And is that why Jesus loved a particular disciple who laid on his breast instead of cleaving to a wife (John 21:7 21:20)?

The facts are that if Jesus existed then he had a biological father from whom he inherited his Y chromosome, and wasn't conceived by parthenogenis, or that he had a haploid genotype with only 24 chromosomes and not 46 as claimed by Ron Wyatt.

Last edited:

Monty

No

Psalm 2 is a Messianic Psalm and the King is the Messiah.
So who was Jesus' biological father if it wasn't Heli's son who had a sexual relationship with Joachim's daughter before she married Jacob's son as described in Luke 3:23?

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
So who was Jesus' biological father if it wasn't Heli's son who had a sexual relationship with Joachim's daughter before she married Jacob's son as described in Luke 3:23?

The whole point of the story about the virgin birth is to show that Jesus had no biological father.

Monty

The whole point of the story about the virgin birth is to show that Jesus had no biological father.
IOW it's just a fantasy story, and Jesus never existed if he had no biological father.

But where did Romulus & Remus get their Y chromosomes from, since they didn't have a biological father either?
Nor did Horus or Alexander the Great etc etc.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
IOW it's just a fantasy story, and Jesus never existed if he had no biological father.

I believe the story of Jesus virgin birth, you don't. That does not mean that the story is a fantasy except from your view point.

But where did Romulus & Remus get their Y chromosomes from, since they didn't have a biological father either?
Nor did Horus or Alexander the Great etc etc.

I don't believe the miraculous birth stories of other religions and myths but I believe the living God has done it in the story of Jesus birth and all the other Biblical stories.
You aren't alone in your opinion. Science and historians look at the many sort of similar myths and decide that they all must be false.
That's sort of reasonable but nobody is ever going to find out that one of those myths is true by presuming they are all false.

Monty

I believe the story of Jesus virgin birth, you don't. That does not mean that the story is a fantasy except from your view point.

I don't believe the miraculous birth stories of other religions and myths but I believe the living God has done it in the story of Jesus birth and all the other Biblical stories.
You aren't alone in your opinion. Science and historians look at the many sort of similar myths and decide that they all must be false.
That's sort of reasonable but nobody is ever going to find out that one of those myths is true by presuming they are all false.
But did Jesus have a Y chromosome, and is that why Jesus loved a particular disciple and laid on his breast instead of cleaving to a wife (John 21:7 21:20)?

Bthoth

*banned*

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
And I throw out the fantasy that a god was Jesus' biological father, in the same way that Psalm 2:7 says that David was his god's begotten son too, even though David was a murderer who said that his love with Jonathon was more wonderful than with any of his wives and concubines (2Sam 1:26). And is that why Jesus loved a particular disciple who laid on his breast instead of cleaving to a wife (John 21:7 21:20)?

The facts are that if Jesus existed then he had a biological father from whom he inherited his Y chromosome, and wasn't conceived by parthenogenis, or that he had a haploid genotype with only 24 chromosomes and not 46 as claimed by Ron Wyatt.
I think we have already covered this. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
But who was Jesus' biological father from whom he inherited his Y chromosome and had sex with his mother.
Is Y chromosome a problem for the Creator? Did Jesus have Y chromosome?

"An individual with an X chromosome that carries the SRY gene will develop as a male despite not having a Y chromosome, but will not be able to produce sperm to father biological children."

"SRY (which stands for sex-determining region Y gene) is found on the Y chromosome. In the cell, it binds to other DNA and in doing so distorts it dramatically out of shape. This alters the properties of the DNA and likely alters the expression of a number of genes, leading to testis formation."

Last edited:

Monty

But you don't believe what the bible says: That Jesus' biological father was supposedly Heli's son Joseph (Luke 3:23), and that another bloke adopted him who was coincidently also named Joseph.

And have you ever seen a living god and discussed virgin births (ie a woman's first pregnancy)?
And what is your evidence that Jesus' mother and the gospel writers actually discussed how she first became pregnant, given that Mark was written about 70 years after Jesus was born, and Matthew was written later, and John was written about 95 years after Jesus was born? And how old was she when she first became pregnant, and how old was she when she told the gospel writers how she became pregnant? Gospel - Wikipedia

Or are you just grasping at imaginary straws?

Last edited:

Monty

Is Y chromosome a problem for the Creator? Did Jesus have Y chromosome?

"An individual with an X chromosome that carries the SRY gene will develop as a male despite not having a Y chromosome, but will not be able to produce sperm to father biological children."

"SRY (which stands for sex-determining region Y gene) is found on the Y chromosome. In the cell, it binds to other DNA and in doing so distorts it dramatically out of shape. This alters the properties of the DNA and likely alters the expression of a number of genes, leading to testis formation."
And a person with a Y chromosome and a non functional SRY gene will continue to develop as a female, and the uterus will not develop into a prostate, and the labia will not fuse to become a scrotum, and the clitoris will not enlarge to become a penis.