• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the difference between a dream and a vision?

Squirt

Is it just a matter of whether you're awake or asleep? If God wanted to tell you something, could He do so in either a dream or a vision, or would you not be able to rely on something you were shown in a dream?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Neither in them selves are convincing, when it comes as a message from God.
The problem is not, do you believe the message,
but does anyone else?
Even when more than one person has witnessed a vision, no one has believed them.

God speaks to us in many ways, usually as a result of prayer.
If it is important for every one,
you won't be the only one to get the message,
I am sure that is how new religious ideas come about.

Terry__________________
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Squirt said:
Is it just a matter of whether you're awake or asleep? If God wanted to tell you something, could He do so in either a dream or a vision, or would you not be able to rely on something you were shown in a dream?
I don't think there's much difference between a dream and a vision. I think dreams are visions...within our minds. The question is...how relevant are our dreams or visions?

I have relied on certain things that I've "seen" in dreams and/or visions. But only after given spritual confirmation that what I'm seeing is truly valid.

Aqualung

Tasty
Dreams are random impulses of brain electricity that the mind brings together into a "movie" to deal with them. A vision is from god.

Squirt

dawny0826 said:
I have relied on certain things that I've "seen" in dreams and/or visions. But only after given spritual confirmation that what I'm seeing is truly valid.
I suspect you've hit the nail on the head.

Squirt

Aqualung said:
Dreams are random impulses of brain electricity that the mind brings together into a "movie" to deal with them. A vision is from god.
But can you have a vision when you're asleep? I guess that's what I was asking.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Squirt said:
I would say...yes. In the Bible, Joseph, for example, received visions in the form of dreams.

Squirt

dawny0826 said:
I would say...yes. In the Bible, Joseph, for example, received visions in the form of dreams.
Let's say you saw someone in a vision... would what you saw be real? Or would it just be in your imagination?

Aqualung

Tasty
Squirt said:
Ah, so you're not asking what the difference is, you're asking how I tell what hte difference is. I don't know. I've never had a vision. I think maybe you don't feel alseep. Like when you're just dreaming you know (well, at least I do) that I"m really asleep. I think in a vision you probably wouldn't.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Squirt said:
Let's say you saw someone in a vision... would what you saw be real? Or would it just be in your imagination?
If I saw someone in a vision or dream that was real enough for me to mull over...I'd pray extensively on it...let the Holy Spirit confirm (or not) the validity of what I was seeing.

If I received a God given vision or dream...I don't doubt at all that some sort of spiritual confirmation would follow.

Endless

It's an interesting topic dreams and visions. I would say a vision is much more 'real' than a dream, if you get what i mean by that. Visions probably tend to be ones that you cannot 'wake up' from. Do they occur when you are awake or asleep..hard to tell, certainly they can occur when you are awake..but do they occur when you are sleeping..possibly, i dunno. I would think the 'realism' of what you are experiencing is what would distinguish them.
What you see could be real, or like John who had the vision of revelation some things can be symbolised - it ultimately depends on God and like Dawn says you should pray and seek the Lord about confirmation because dreams and visions can come from 'both sides'.

weeza

A dream is a Psychological experience, I don't believ God has any part to play in dreams. As for visions ... I don't really know if I have experienced one but maybe, just maybe it is God? Or another psychological experience

Super Universe

Defender of God
Our subconcious connection to God is most active when we are sleeping because during the day we are so worried about material things.

The majority of our dreams (99%) are abstract random things mixed together since this is the normal limit of the human mind. Most of us are not capable of true original thought on our own. Pure abstract thought we are very good at though.

Try it for a moment, think of something purely original...

Now, most likely what you did was take an object say... a volkswagon bus and then take another object say... sherbert ice cream, then you did something completely unexpected with the two like disassembled the VW's carburator and replaced it with one made of sherbert. Original? No. Abstract? Yes. You did not create the VW or the ice cream.

So the overwhelming majority of our dreams are the same way, somehow your dead grandmother is pitching a baseball to you while you are in school taking a final exam.

Believe me, you will know the dreams that are visions because you will suddenly sit up in bed and have an answer to something that's been bothering you for ages.

Don't see these visions as coming from God. Instead see them as coming from the real you, your spirit that is making a connection to you and hoping that you attempt to make one back.