• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Christian view of human nature?

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
I will post my view later, but I am interested to know how all the different denominations view human nature. Feel free to post even if you are not a Christian, but have questions to ask or have some knowledge of Christian theology.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In general, I think the Christian notion of human nature focuses on moral questions, rather than on psychological, sociological, biological, or other aspects of human nature.

That is, many or most Christians believe that there was once a Golden Age (The Garden Of Eden) during which humans were sinless (morally perfect). They believe this age ended due to human choice. And they believe that humans have ever since been sinful. Thus, the human condition is one of moral imperfection. Moreover, this moral imperfection is in need of redemption.

Christianity is not the only religion to describe humans as morally imperfect. For instance, Confucianism would agree with Christianity that humans are morally imperfect. But while Confucianism asserts that proper study and education can lead to moral humans, Christianity asserts that Divine Intervention is needed (in the form of Jesus Christ) to redeem humans from their moral corruption.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
CS Lewis did a wonderful word study on "Nature, Natura and Phusis" and it is the uderlying theme in ALL of his books (including "The Lion, The Witch & the Wardrobe"), especially his space trilogy. The first of that series (Out of the Silent Planet) creates a Martian language where a being is referred to as a "hnau" and a being who does something outside of it's nature is referred to as a "bent hnau".

Original human nature is to praise and love God as well as each other. Unfortunately, we are "Bent Hnau" and so our broken nature is to hate and destroy each other.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
Sunstone said:
In general, I think the Christian notion of human nature focuses on moral questions, rather than on psychological, sociological, biological, or other aspects of human nature.

That is, many or most Christians believe that there was once a Golden Age (The Garden Of Eden) during which humans were sinless (morally perfect). They believe this age ended due to human choice. And they believe that humans have ever since been sinful. Thus, the human condition is one of moral imperfection. Moreover, this moral imperfection is in need of redemption.

Christianity is not the only religion to describe humans as morally imperfect. For instance, Confucianism would agree with Christianity that humans are morally imperfect. But while Confucianism asserts that proper study and education can lead to moral humans, Christianity asserts that Divine Intervention is needed (in the form of Jesus Christ) to redeem humans from their moral corruption.

That's a good explanation of what I believe. I probably can't explain it any better than the way you put it Phil. I am imperfect and sinful, but made perfect through Jesus Christ. In other words, I could never break myself from sin except through Jesus' sacrifice for us.

sparkyluv

Todd said:
That's a good explanation of what I believe. I probably can't explain it any better than the way you put it Phil. I am imperfect and sinful, but made perfect through Jesus Christ. In other words, I could never break myself from sin except through Jesus' sacrifice for us.
I agree