• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Bible?

Which of the following best describes how you view the Bible?

• It is the direct word of God - and you will go to Hell for even asking this question!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is the direct word of God

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is the inspired word of God

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • It is based on the word of God, with input from men through the ages

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • A collection of writings of men through history

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • An attempt by men of ages past, trying to influence society (like many other religious texts)

Votes: 21 39.6%

• Total voters

Khale

I believe the bible to be written by men and inspired by God. That is, in the sense that everything is inspired by God/Gods/Prime Motivator (take your pick).

The bible is a book that was created to help educated christians understand their faith and their history. As with any written work it has a its own unique political/theological/philisophical slant; even more so due to the various authors.

Seyorni said:
There are +/- 5,000 New testament scriptures alone and a myriad of older works that have not, so far, been published.
While it is true that there were many books exluded from the bible I would say that:

- They were not necessary to the book.
- The number of 'missing' books is well into the millions.

The reason I say this is because all of the books of the bible are just short writings on faith. Truthfully, there are hundreds of posts on this site alone that could be considered for the scriptures. The fact of the matter is that the collection that we have right now works. There is no need to make it anymore cumbersome.

Duet: Why do you feel that the new testament is composed of:
...neurotic (and anti-Judaic) drivel.
?

Yasin

Maize said:
I voted: "A collection of writings of men through history" I think that says it all.
Where they inspired through the Holy Ghost?
Respectively, Yasin:bounce