• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is satanism?

Kammarherren

Hello!
I'm conducting a study on young peoples religious beliefs. I would be most grateful if you satanists under the age of 35 would answer some questions for me. So I can better understand satanism and it's followers.

1. What is satanism to you and how would you describe your faith?
2. How do you practice satanism? (courses, rituals, meetings, culture etc.)

Any answers and help is much appreciated, thank you!

Kapalika

Premium Member
Hope this isn't too much info but here we go...

1. Satanism has been many thing to me over the years, my understanding has evolved over time. But one thing that has always stuck with me is that it's a path of being true to yourself and not acquiescing to outside forces. It's about individuality and empowerment. It's a path of perseverance and growing understanding.

I feel that Satan is the personification of all cosmic force when it comes down to it, and one of my goals is the cessation of the self-imposed barrier between self and Satan. This is done by imitating and emulating Satan and it's characteristics. To literally live as a Satan in daily life as much as possible. But I've always been a bit' of a pantheist so my views on the matter will probably vary from the anti-theistic LaVeyans and also by contrast the more theistic Satanists.

I would describe my 'faith' (I really wouldn't call it faith, it's more of a process or tool as well as a way of life) as pantheistic and naturalistic. I don't believe in supernaturalism but I believe in the power of the mind and in 'magic'.

I also believe in Satan, in a more manifested form as both an archetype (that one assumes) and a spirit (or multiple spirits), or at least perceived as that by those experiencing it. The perception of it my mind gets kind of fuzzy because of my nondual philosophical position. It can manifest in duality but ultimately it traces back to a 'meta' which is the all encompassing Satan so to speak. Really in my mind literally everything is Satan; opposition.

2. Rituals used to be a much more typical way for me to give worship and to enhance my magical abilities. Now days I mostly meditate and focus energy through that or through music. I also am involved in a lot of elemental and energy work when I meditate or just when bored.

In my daily life I mostly don't give a care what people think about me or how they perceive me and apparently that shows at least IRL. Anyways I credit that and my general nonchalant outlook on my Satanic views. While I feel it's my obligation to help those I can actually help, I recognize that most are beyond saving or worse want to take advantage of me. My Satanic values have actually led to a greater understanding of people over time and made me less quick to judge and quicker to forgive least I made a mistake (two tics for one tat in game theory).

Another big thing I do is try to break my own limits. That can be a taboo, something I'm afraid of or just opening my mind to a new perspective or something daunting. I know this doesn't have to be religious but in the context I do it it's kind of important to the Left Hand Path as I practice it.

I really value discipline and learning, but in the kind of way that would be expected of an initiate seeking to master something. That kind of discipline takes holding yourself accountable to yourself. I also value truth and revelation, as well as strength. I have a system of honor of sorts, but it's probably too complicated to get into but I always try to be fair and open minded due to my own experience living as a Satanist and seeing my own change throughout the years due to my beliefs and practices.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
1. What is satanism to you and how would you describe your faith?
2. How do you practice satanism? (courses, rituals, meetings, culture etc.)

Any answers and help is much appreciated, thank you!

Satanism to me is a religion and a philosophy in general. Satanism to me is perhaps a religion of self indulgence, it's more about evolving your own being within yourself. I practice Satanism with the use of Magick and rituals in general. I also study other various ways within the LHP, I tend to synchronize other elements as well. I practice Magick to evolve my own being in general, I also tend to practice Magick to cause change in the Objective Universe in general. Another reason as to why I practice the Black arts is to separate myself from the natural order from the herd. I am currently more of a Self Styled Satanist, I still uphold the belief systems of the COS in general, however I also uphold some views from the TOS as well. I primarily regard Satan to be a powerful figure In general, however I also regard Set to be more of a powerful archetype as well. I tend to regard Set as the god of Isolation the one who isolates and tests you. I regard Satan as a powerful adversarial archetype the one who is powerful within the forces of darkness and indulgence. I tend to regard Satan as a teacher. I regard Satan and Set to be both givers of the Black Flame in general. I consider myself to be an initiate towards the Dark Arts to Set in general.

Last edited:

VioletVortex

Satanism can be many things. The central element is the worship and praise of the Devil, whether symbolic or spiritual.

LaVeyan Satanists see Satan as a personification of a figurative dark force in nature and in man. Most of them do not believe that there is a literal energy that flows through nature, rather they believe the "dark force" is created within the mind. They do believe in Magick, but they see it as purely psychological.

Deistic Satanists believe in a literal dark force in nature, and their beliefs may or may not correspond with those listed in LaVey's Satanic Bible. The Deistic Satanists are probably they largest subdivision of Theistic Satanists. Satan, to them, is a personification of the literal Dark Force.

There are also Theistic Satanists who believe in a literal Satan. This group includes myself. Personally, I believe that Satan is both a defined spiritual entity as well as an omnipresent force.

Setianism is arguably a form of Satanism. Setians see Set/Satan as the being that gave humanity The Gift of the Black Flame; sentience.

All of the groups of Satanists that I described above are not Diabolical Satanists. They do not see Satan as an evil figure, rather they see him as a good figure.

Diabolical Satanists worship Satan as a literal bringer of evil. Most of these Satanists probably do not seriously believe the stuff they claim to believe.

VioletVortex

Hope this isn't too much info but here we go...

1. Satanism has been many thing to me over the years, my understanding has evolved over time. But one thing that has always stuck with me is that it's a path of being true to yourself and not acquiescing to outside forces. It's about individuality and empowerment. It's a path of perseverance and growing understanding.

I feel that Satan is the personification of all cosmic force when it comes down to it, and one of my goals is the cessation of the self-imposed barrier between self and Satan. This is done by imitating and emulating Satan and it's characteristics. To literally live as a Satan in daily life as much as possible. But I've always been a bit' of a pantheist so my views on the matter will probably vary from the anti-theistic LaVeyans and also by contrast the more theistic Satanists.

I would describe my 'faith' (I really wouldn't call it faith, it's more of a process or tool as well as a way of life) as pantheistic and naturalistic. I don't believe in supernaturalism but I believe in the power of the mind and in 'magic'.

I also believe in Satan, in a more manifested form as both an archetype (that one assumes) and a spirit (or multiple spirits), or at least perceived as that by those experiencing it. The perception of it my mind gets kind of fuzzy because of my nondual philosophical position. It can manifest in duality but ultimately it traces back to a 'meta' which is the all encompassing Satan so to speak. Really in my mind literally everything is Satan; opposition.

2. Rituals used to be a much more typical way for me to give worship and to enhance my magical abilities. Now days I mostly meditate and focus energy through that or through music. I also am involved in a lot of elemental and energy work when I meditate or just when bored.

In my daily life I mostly don't give a care what people think about me or how they perceive me and apparently that shows at least IRL. Anyways I credit that and my general nonchalant outlook on my Satanic views. While I feel it's my obligation to help those I can actually help, I recognize that most are beyond saving or worse want to take advantage of me. My Satanic values have actually led to a greater understanding of people over time and made me less quick to judge and quicker to forgive least I made a mistake (two tics for one tat in game theory).

Another big thing I do is try to break my own limits. That can be a taboo, something I'm afraid of or just opening my mind to a new perspective or something daunting. I know this doesn't have to be religious but in the context I do it it's kind of important to the Left Hand Path as I practice it.

I really value discipline and learning, but in the kind of way that would be expected of an initiate seeking to master something. That kind of discipline takes holding yourself accountable to yourself. I also value truth and revelation, as well as strength. I have a system of honor of sorts, but it's probably too complicated to get into but I always try to be fair and open minded due to my own experience living as a Satanist and seeing my own change throughout the years due to my beliefs and practices.

Congratulations on achieving the Number of the Beast!!