• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Judgement Day?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The Bible says that God “has set a day in which he purposes to judge the inhabited earth.” (Acts 17:31) For many people the prospect of being subjected to any kind of judgment is unwelcome. Is that how you feel?

IF SO, you can find comfort in the fact that Judgment Day is a loving arrangement that will bring great blessings to the human family—including those who have died. (Matthew 20:28; John 3:16)

Find out here why judgment Day is necessary? And what will actually occur during that “day”?

Jensen

Hi Peg, Speaking of judgement day, what is the Witness view of the judgement of those that did not have the chance to get to know God, or about God, so as to accept God and his Son as their God and Savior? Are they lost forever?

Jensen

I read part of the site that you posted...It says here,

"Will the judgment of resurrected ones be based on what they did before their death? No. The Bible teaches that “he who has died has been acquitted from his sin.” (Romans 6:7) So, like those who survive the end of this system, those resurrected to life on earth will be judged “according to their deeds” during Judgment Day. (Revelation 20:12, 13) Depending on the final outcome of their actions, this will turn out to be either a resurrection that results in everlasting life or a resurrection that results in destruction. Many of those restored to life will for the first time come to know about Jehovah God and his requirements for life. They will have the opportunity to live in harmony with God’s will and receive everlasting life on earth."

This is totally new to me, that one is not judged for what they did before their death, but what they do during judgement day. I thought what we did during our lives was what we are judged for. Isn't that like saying one isn't punished for their sins during their life? That although they weren't good people,if they are during judgement day they will be saved? And once one has "met" God and the Son, and understand, they all would be good? right? and therefore be save?

It also says that those that did not repent of their sins, that were bad before their death, will be judged for that behavior, or is that also only their behavior during judgement day?

Hope that I'm do being too confusing, that my questions are clear. Thanks

Jensen

Last edited:

Jensen

This part seems to be in disagreement with what came below...as it says, (highlighted)

"The Bible says that during Judgment Day the dead will “rise up.” (Matthew 12:41) Jesus said that “the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.” (John 5:28, 29) This is not referring to disembodied souls of those who have died. The dead are totally unconscious and do not have a soul that survives death. (Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14, 23, 24) Jesus will bring those asleep in death back to life again on earth."

Isn't this stating that one is judged for their behavior before their death? Please explain.

Jensen:)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hi Peg, Speaking of judgement day, what is the Witness view of the judgement of those that did not have the chance to get to know God, or about God, so as to accept God and his Son as their God and Savior? Are they lost forever?

no, they are not lost forever...not at all.

Jesus spoke of a resurrection. Both good and bad will be resurrected during Judgement day.

John 5:28 Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.

So we believe that everyone, even those who did not know God and did not worship him, will be brought back to life during the judgement day. Even the people who put Jesus to death will be resurrected at that time.

I read part of the site that you posted...It says here,

"Will the judgment of resurrected ones be based on what they did before their death? No. The Bible teaches that “he who has died has been acquitted from his sin.” (Romans 6:7) So, like those who survive the end of this system, those resurrected to life on earth will be judged “according to their deeds” during Judgment Day. (Revelation 20:12, 13) Depending on the final outcome of their actions, this will turn out to be either a resurrection that results in everlasting life or a resurrection that results in destruction. Many of those restored to life will for the first time come to know about Jehovah God and his requirements for life. They will have the opportunity to live in harmony with God’s will and receive everlasting life on earth."

This is totally new to me, that one is not judged for what they did before their death, but what they do during judgement day. I thought what we did during our lives was what we are judged for. Isn't that like saying one isn't punished for their sins during their life? That although they weren't good people,if they are during judgement day they will be saved? And once one has "met" God and the Son, and understand, they all would be good? right? and therefore be save?

Let me ask you this....when a criminal is sentenced or fined for a crime they commit, after serving the sentence or paying the fine, will the court issue them another sentence for the same crime???

No. Once you have served the sentence or paid the fine, the crime is justified or atoned for.

everyone who dies in this system, die as a punishment for 'all' their sins. Thats why there is no need to judge them for these sins again. They have already paid the penalty for all the sins they committed while alive.

God has no reason to punish them again for the same sins. I know this is difficult for many to understand, but the fact is, mankind were not created to die. We were created to live forever.... but death is the punishment for sin and we all pay the price.

Adam was warned what disobedience would result in....death.
Gen 2:16  Jehovah God also gave this command to the man: “From every tree of the garden you may eat to satisfaction. 17 But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will certainly die.”

Notice that the man would only 'die' if he 'ate from the tree'.... so ask yourself this: Would he have died if he did not eat from the tree?

our answer is no. And thats why we accept that death ends all sin and no future punishment is required. When we die, we are justified by the law of God. Therefore in the future resurrection, everyone will be starting life with a clean slate so to speak. God will only judge them on how they behave thereafter.

It also says that those that did not repent of their sins, that were bad before their death, will be judged for that behavior, or is that also only their behavior during judgement day?

Hope that I'm do being too confusing, that my questions are clear. Thanks

Jensen

They can only be judged for how they choose to live and behave after they are brought back to life...the sins they commited before they died are finished, they are washed away. The new covenant makes this possible

Jeremiah 31:31 “Look! The days are coming,” declares Jehovah, “when I will make with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant. 32 It will not be like the covenant that I made with their forefathers on the day I took hold of their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, ‘my covenant that they broke, although I was their true master,’ declares Jehovah.” 33 “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares Jehovah. “I will put my law within them, and in their heart I will write it. And I will become their God, and they will become my people.” 34 “And they will no longer teach each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know Jehovah!’ for they will all know me, from the least to the greatest of them,” declares Jehovah. “For I will forgive their error, and I will no longer remember their sin.”

The new covenant is made possible by the blood of Jesus. Thats why its so important to express faith in that shed blood and know that we can have a clean standing before God. The memorial celebration that we hold discusses how his blood saves us and explains in detail the meaning and value of his blood.

I would really encourage you to find a local Kingdom Hall for April 14th and go along to the memorial observance. :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
This part seems to be in disagreement with what came below...as it says, (highlighted)

"The Bible says that during Judgment Day the dead will “rise up.” (Matthew 12:41) Jesus said that “the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.” (John 5:28, 29) This is not referring to disembodied souls of those who have died. The dead are totally unconscious and do not have a soul that survives death. (Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14, 23, 24) Jesus will bring those asleep in death back to life again on earth."

Isn't this stating that one is judged for their behavior before their death? Please explain.

Jensen:)

'those who practiced good things' refers to Gods people of the past who may already have died in this system. There may have been millions of people who have worshipped God and put their faith in Christ...many may have even died for their faith. They 'practised good thing' during their life and obeyed God...people like Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Job, Abel, the prophets, John the baptist for example would count among their number.

So when they are brought back in the resurrection, they will most likely continue to practice good things and be awarded with everlasting life.

But 'those who practiced vile things' are people who did not know God, did not worship or obey him and may have done some very bad things during their life. They will be given the opportunity to learn Gods laws and live by them....but they are not automatically awarded everlasting life until they have proved themselves worthy of it. So God will give them time and judge their actions during that time. Thats why its called a 'resurrection of judgement'

it doesnt mean they brought back to life so they can be sentenced again for the crimes they committed in the past....rather it will be a time for them to prove what their works will be, and God will judge them based on what they choose to do with the wonderful opportunity God opens up to them.

i hope that is clear...if not, feel free to ask for clarification and i might yell out to my brothers and sisters to chime in....:)

Last edited:

Jensen

Thanks Pegg, no need to yell out for your brothers and sisters, I do understand, and thanks you for the JW view, it is clear now. The judging for behavior done after ones resurrection was new to me. Isn't there always something we don't know though? :)

Jensen

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Thanks Pegg, no need to yell out for your brothers and sisters, I do understand, and thanks you for the JW view, it is clear now. The judging for behavior done after ones resurrection was new to me. Isn't there always something we don't know though? :)

Jensen

there sure is. The bible is like a deep well... we'll never get to the bottom of it.

:)

I saw a scripture in a new light recently.... i've read the verse a million times but never from this particular point of view.
The verse is Genesis 1:26 which shows that it was never Gods purpose for mankind to be ruling over each other... The verse reads:

26 Then God said: “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every creeping animal that is moving on the earth.”

Notice that there is only one earthly creation missing from the living things that man has permission to bring under his subjection.... 'man' himself. And the prophets have spoken of mans independent rulership as something that is not meant to be.
For example Jeremiah 10:23  I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him.It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.
The results of mans rulerships are also mentioned by King Solomon
Eccl 8:9 All this I have seen, and there was an applying of my heart to every work that has been done under the sun, [during] the time that man has dominated man to his injury.

We can be very thankful, and look forward, to what we read at Daniel 2:44. This is a wonderful prospect :) Incidental, its during the 1,000 year judgement day that Gods Kingdom will rule over mankind. So submitting to the kingdoms rulership now is a wise decision.

Last edited: