• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God?

mojtaba

Usool al-Kaafi, H 220, Ch. 2, h 6.
It is narrated from Imam abu Abdallah (a.s.)[ the Sixth Imam of shia ], who said this to an atheist when asked him: "What is He(God)?"

"He (Allah) is a thing but different from all other things. Get from my saying the proving of a meaning.
He is a thing in the sense of the reality of things except that He does not have a body and form. He isn't seen or touched and He does not comprehend with the five senses. Imaginations can not comprehend Him and the timeless (Dahr) times does not reduce Him and the times do not change Him."
The man asking questions then said, "Do you say that He hears and sees?" The Imam said, "He does hear and see: He hears without a hearing organ and sees without a means. He hears by Himself and He sees by Himself. My saying "He hears without a hearing organ and sees without a means; He hears by Himself and He sees by Himself" does not mean that He is a thing and His-self is another thing but that I only meant to express my self thereby as I was questioned and explained to you as you had asked a question. Indeed, He hears with the whole of His-self but not in the sense that His whole self has parts but that I intended to explain it to you and to express my self. All I meant thereby is that He does hear, see and He is all-knowing and is the expert in knowing without any multiplicity in His-self or meaning.
The man asking questions then said, "What then is He?" The Imam said, "He is the Lord. He is the One Who is worshipped and He is Allah. When I say Allah, it does not mean establishing the proof for these letters (of alphabet) like Alif, Lam, Ha’(Allah), al-Ra’ or al-Ba’(Rab, i.e. Lord) but I intend thereby the meaning of a thing and a thing that is the Creator of all things and the Designer of all things. These letters only refer to the meaning that is called Allah, al-Rahman (the Beneficent), al-Rahim (the Merciful), al-‘Aziz (the Majestic) etc., of the other such names and He is the One Who is worshipped, the Majestic, the Glorious One."
The man then asked, "Does the question how apply to Him?" The Imam said, "No, this question does not apply to Him because it is the aspect of qualities and limitations. However, it is necessary to avoid abandoning and analogizing Him because negating Him is denying His existence and refusing to accept Him as the Lord and abandoning Him altogether.
Whoever would analogize Him with other things from His creatures he has proved the qualities of the creature in Him, the creatures that do not deserve being called the Lord. It, however, is necessary to believe that the question how applies to Him only in a way that would not apply to things other than Him and things other than Him would not deserve and share Him in it. The how question can not apply to Him if it would limit Him or make Him the subject of knowing for others."

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I saw that it says that God has no form: according to Shi'ite Islam, does God have hands and feet 'of some kind', but not like ours?

This seems to be a thing that a lot of Muslims here seem to belive - but most Muslims here are Deobandi and not Shi'i. The reasoning behind this is supposed to be that it says in the Qur'an that God has hands, for example - and Muslims are not permitted to interpret, just know that He does. I'm not sure how much of it is common Sunni belief or just simplifications.

Can you give me the Shi'i interpretation, please?

mojtaba

I saw that it says that God has no form: according to Shi'ite Islam, does God have hands and feet 'of some kind', but not like ours?

This seems to be a thing that a lot of Muslims here seem to believe - but most Muslims here are Deobandi and not Shi'ite. The reasoning behind this is supposed to be that it says in the Qur'an that God has hands, for example - and Muslims are not permitted to interpret, just know that He does. I'm not sure how much of it is common Sunni belief or just simplifications.

Can you give me the Shi'ite interpretation, please?
Hello dear breathe.

We believe that God doesn't have any hands or feet, He has neither hands and feet of some kind nor like ours. The Hadith of Imam Sadiq in the first post of the thread says:" He does not have a body and form". Having hands and feet of some kind proves a form for God, while God doesn't have any form. So He doesn't have any hand or foot.

Please read this Hadith below about this verse of holy Qur'an : [ Allah ] said, "O Iblees, what prevented you from prostrating to that which I created with My hands? Were you arrogant [then], or were you [already] among the haughty?" . 38:75

Ma'ani Al-akhbar, Volume One, page 16:
It is narrated that Mohammad Al-Moslem( a shia ) asked from Imam Mohammad Al-Baghir (a.s.)[ the fifth Shiite Imam ] : " What is the meaning of this saying of God in 38:75 : [ Allah ] said, "O Iblees, what prevented you from prostrating to that which I created with My hands? "

So Imam replied: " In Arabic, hand also is used for power and grace". Then said: " (38:17) and remember Our servant, David, the possessor of hand(i.e. power), (51:47) And the heaven We constructed (it) by (our) hand, i.e. by (our) power. And also it is said that ' he has a white hand with me ' that is, (he is) a blessing( in my life ) ".

So in holy Qur'an, hand of God means power of God.

Last edited:

mojtaba

Usul al-Kafi, H 231, Ch. 6, h 2
A man from Ma Wara' Nahr Balkh (Transoxania) came to abu al-Hassan al-Rida (a.s.)[ The eighth Shiite Imam ] , and said, ‘I have a question for you. If your answer is the same as I already know, I will accept you as my Imam (leader with divine authority).’" Imam abul-Hassan (a.s.) replied, "Ask whatever you wish." The man said, "Tell me when did your Lord come into existence, how has He been and on what did He depend?"
Imam Abul-Hassan (a.s.), replied, "Allah, the Blessed, the Almighty, is the space maker of space, Who Himself is not subject to the effects of any space. He is the maker of How and Himself is not subject to How. He is Self-sufficient with His own power."
The man stood up and kissed the head of the Imam (a.s.) and then said, "I testify that there is no god except Allah and Muhammad (s.a.) is the Messenger of Allah and that Imam Ali (a.s) is the successor of the Messenger of Allah and the Guardian and protector of what the Messenger of Allah has brought from Allah and that your forefathers are the leaders with divine authority and that you are a successor to them."

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
So in holy Qur'an, hand of God means power of God.
Thank you. That's the way I always understood it, too. I found the idea God has hands to be a strange outlook; I researched it briefly and found it's not just a Deobandi belief, though. [Source] I have no idea how common it is for other denominations of Sunnis, though.

Anyway. I must say I definitely prefer the Shi'i understanding. :)

faroukfarouk

As Salaamalaikum brother. Mojtaba
Shia sheikh ibn Qawlaveyh in his book “Kamil az ziyarat” narrated from imam Jafar as-Sadiq the following.
“One day in the house of hazrat Fatima (a), the Messenger of Allah (s) took imam Huseyn (a) in his arms. Suddenly he cried and made prostration. Some time later, the hazrat said: ‘Oh Fatima! Oh Muhamad’s daughter, The Most High in this hour, in this house has shown Himself to me in the most beautiful form and the best manner and said: ‘Oh Muhamad! Do you love Huseyn?’ I said: ‘ He is my eye’s light, my sweet-scented plant, fruit of my soul and leather between two of my eyes’.
Then, he put his hand on Huseyn’s blessed head and said: ‘Oh Muhammad, may this newly born kid, upon whom are My blessing and greeting, mercy and pleasure, be blessed. My anger, curse and punishment, humiliation and disgrace will be upon his killer, also upon person who hates him and goes against him. Know that he is the leader of the first and the last martyrs in this world and the hereafter and the leader of the youth among the creation in the Paradise’.”

The above confirms that Allah has a form.

mojtaba

Assalamo Alaikum wa Rahmato Allah my brother.
First I should say that all Ahadith that are in shia books are not Sahih(true). Our religious scholars study Ahadith and compare them with Holy Qur'an and other Ahadith which are certainly Sahih(true). Also they analyze the narrators of a Hadith and then find whether the Hadith is true or fake.
There are some verses in Holy Qur'an and very true Ahadith which are in shia books that say that Allah has not any body or form.

Usul al-Kafi, Ch 11[Chapter On Prohibition on Considering Allah as having Body (JISM) and Form(SURAH)], Hadith 1:
From Imam Jafar as-Sadiq(a.s.): "Glorious is He(Allah), Whom no one knows how He is except He Himself. There is no one similar to Him and He is All-hearing, All-seeing(Holy Qur'an, 42:11). He cannot be limited, nor can He be felt or touched or moved. Eyes can not see Him nor any of the senses can comprehend Him. He cannot be contained in anything, nor has He any body or form or figure or confine."

Last edited:

faroukfarouk

Salaams brother Mojtaba
This hadith i gave you is from a book called Kamil az-Ziyarat.In the introduction of this book the following is stated.
We realize we cannot cover all that which has been transmitted from them (imams) on this subject [the salutations at the shrines], nor on any other issue, except that which has been related to us by reliable [transmitters] from our companions – may Allah forgive them by His Rahmat. I have not cited a tradition in it [the book] which has been transmitted by reporters who are rarely mentioned (shudhdhadh).
It was also authenticated by Abdulhamid al-Muhajir.
So according to you Shia sheikh ibn Qawlaveyh is not reliable.His books are fake and if Abdulhamid Al-Muhajir authenticates it then he is also fake.
Is that correct brother.

faroukfarouk

walaikum salam brother
Sorry my brother i am now confused.
Before i continue any further i need to confer with you.
Is my quoted hadith authentic or fake?
Jazakallah in advance.

mojtaba

walaikum salam brother
Jazakallah in advance.
Excuse me brother.
I must study more and then I will answer your questions; In Sha'Allah.
Please wait a few days.

faroukfarouk

Excuse me brother.
I must study more and then I will answer your questions; In Sha'Allah.
Please wait a few days.

Salaams brother.
I give you time no problem but while you go to study please consider following question as well..
Does Allah speak?

mojtaba

Salaams brother.
I give you time no problem but while you go to study please consider following question as well..
Does Allah speak?
Al-salamo Alaykum wa Rahmato Allah wa Barakatoh brother, Sorry I've taken so long to reply.
Your question was about this Hadith in Kamil al-zyarat:
"One day in the house of hazrat Fatima (a), the Messenger of Allah (s) took imam Huseyn (a) in his arms. Suddenly he cried and made prostration. Some time later, the hazrat said: ‘Oh Fatima! Oh Muhamad’s daughter, The Most High in this hour, in this house has shown Himself to me in the most beautiful form and the best manner and said: ‘Oh Muhamad! Do you love Huseyn?’ I said: ‘ He is my eye’s light, my sweet-scented plant, fruit of my soul and leather between two of my eyes’.Then, he put his hand on Huseyn’s blessed head and said: ‘Oh Muhammad, may this newly born kid, upon whomareMy blessing and greeting, mercy and pleasure, be blessed".

Muhammad ibn Sanan is between the narrators of this Hadith. The scholars of Ilm al-Rijal(science of the chain of the narrators of Hadith) have different opinion about Muhammad ibn Sanan. Some of them say he is reliable and other scholars say he is not reliable.
However, I consider that Muhammad ibn Sanan is reliable and the Hadith is true, then I will reply your ask about this that Allah has a form.

Before replying your Question, I should say an introduction:

There are a verse in Holy Qur'an and many Ahadith which are certainly true that say we can not see Allah:

[6:103] Vision perceives Him not, but He perceives [all] vision.

Usul al-Kafi, Ch 11[Chapter On Prohibition on Considering Allah as having Body (JISM) and Form(SURAH)], Hadith 1:
From Imam Jafar as-Sadiq(a.s.): "Glorious is He(Allah), Whom no one knows how He is except He Himself. There is no one similar to Him and He is All-hearing, All-seeing(Holy Qur'an, 42:11). He cannot be limited, nor can He be felt or touched or moved. Eyes can not see Him nor any of the senses can comprehendHim.He cannot be contained in anything, nor has He any body or form or figure or confine."
And such Ahadith which are many.

But there are verses in Holy Qur'an and also many true Ahadith saying we can see Allah:

[75:22, 23] Some faces, that Day( Day of Judgment ), will be radiant[22]Looking at their Lord[23].

Usul al-Kafi, vol. 1, p. 97:
Imam Ali(a.s.) says:"I have not worshipped a God that I have not seen".

So, can we see Allah or not?

What can be said in light of the Quran and the Sunnah, is that on the one hand, knowledge and seeing of the essence of God is something impossible. The verses and Ahadith which say that seeing of Allah is imposible, are about the seeing of the essence of Allah.

However, seeing with the heart ( Ruh, spirit ) or the vision of Allah is an established belief, which is a mystical position, granted to the complete and absolute servants of God. Strictly speaking, the vision of Allah is in fact the intuition of God’s self-disclosure in the manifestation and epiphanies of His names and attributes of essence, not the intuition of the truth of His essence.

Please read this verse of Holy Qur'an:
And when Moses arrived at Our appointed time and his Lord spoke to him, he said, "My Lord, show me [Yourself] that I may look at You." [ Allah ] said, "You will not see Me(until the Day of Judgment), but look at the mountain; if it should remain in place(when I show myself to it), then you will see Me." But when his Lord manifest to the mountain, He rendered it level, and Moses fell unconscious.

This verse proves that vision of Allah is the intuition of God’s self-disclosure in the manifestation(Tajalli), not the intuition of the truth of His essence([6:103] Vision perceives Him not, but He perceives [all] vision).

Knowledge of God related to the heart, which is in fact the vision of manifestations of God Almighty, has been assigned many different levels in mystical discussions.

I finish introduction with this Hadith: page 117 of Saduq’s Tawhid
Abu Basir(who was blind) has mentioned: I asked Imam Sadiq (a.s.) to inform me whether the pious believers would see God on the Day of Judgment? He said: Indeed, and they have even seen him before the Day of Judgment. I asked him: During what time? He said: During the time when he said to them: ‘أَ لَسْتُ بِرَبِّكُمْ’, which means: Am I not your Lord? They said: قالُوا بَلى: Indeed, you are our Lord[7:172].
After this, the Imam (a.s.) remained quiet for a period of time and then He said: And the pious believers will see him before the Day of Judgment in this world. Do you not see him right now?
Abu Basir then says that he said to Imam Sadiq (a.s.): May I be sacrificed for you, should I narrate these words from you( in public )? He said: No, for if you were to narrate these words, an individual who is ignorant of its meaning will reject it and think that this is comparison (Tashbih) and disbelief (Kufr). Undoubtedly, seeing with the heart is not the same as seeing with the eyes and God is greater than what the Mushabbih sect and the atheists have ascribed to Him.

Source:
http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa7114

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa14293

Last edited:

mojtaba

As Salaamalaikum brother. Mojtaba
Shia sheikh ibn Qawlaveyh in his book “Kamil az ziyarat” narrated from imam Jafar as-Sadiq the following.
“One day in the house of hazrat Fatima (a), the Messenger of Allah (s) took imam Huseyn (a) in his arms. Suddenly 9he cried and made prostration. Some time later, the hazrat said: ‘Oh Fatima! Oh Muhamad’s daughter, The Most High in this hour, in this house has shown Himself to me in the most beautiful form and the best manner and said: ‘Oh Muhamad! Do you love Huseyn?’ I said: ‘ He is my eye’s light, my sweet-scented plant, fruit of my soul and leather between two of my eyes’.
Then, he put his hand on Huseyn’s blessed head and said: ‘Oh Muhammad, may this newly born kid, upon whom are My blessing and greeting, mercy and pleasure, be blessed. My anger, curse and punishment, humiliation and disgrace will be upon his killer, also upon person who hates him and goes against him. Know that he is the leader of the first and the last martyrs in this world and the hereafter and the leader of the youth among the creation in the Paradise’.”

The above confirms that Allah has a form.
According to introduction:
1- Allah can not be seen with physical eyes.
2- Seeing of the essence of Allah is imposible
3- Seeing of the manifestation and epiphanies of Allah's names and attributes of essence with heart( spirit ) is posible.
4- Knowledge of God related to the heart, which is in fact the vision of manifestations of God Almighty, has been assigned many different levels in mystical discussions.

So we interpret this part of the Hadith which is on Kamil al-Zyarat with these principles:
The Most High in this hour, in this house has shown Himself to me in the most beautiful form and the best manner = Allah has shown Himself to me( my heart ) with the highest and the most perfect manifestation.

And the other part of this Hadith: Then, He( Allah )put his hand on Huseyn’s head and said: ‘Oh Muhammad, may this newly born kid, upon whom are My blessing and greeting, mercy and pleasure, be blessed.

Ma'ani Al-akhbar, Volume One, page 16:
It is narrated that Mohammad Al-Moslem( a shia ) asked from Imam Mohammad Al-Baghir (a.s.)[ the fifth Shiites Imam ] : " What is the meaning of this saying of God in 38:75 : [ Allah ] said, "O Iblees, what prevented you from prostrating to that which I created with My hands? "
So Imam replied: " In Arabic, hand also is used for power and blessing". Then said: " (38:17) and remember Our servant, David, the possessor of hand(i.e. power),(51:47) And the heaven We constructed (it) by (our) hand, i.e. by (our) power. And also it is said that ' he has a white hand with me ' that is, (he is) a blessing( in my life ) ".

So, "He( Allah )put his hand on Huseyn’s head = said: ‘Oh Muhammad, may this newly born kid, upon whom are My blessing and greeting, mercy and pleasure, be blessed".

Indeed, in this Hadith, Prophet Muhammad(صل الله علیه و آله) just elucidates His mystical experience with a sensible and visible discussion.

Last edited:

Khudayar

This seems to be a thing that a lot of Muslims here seem to belive - but most Muslims here are Deobandi and not Shi'i. The reasoning behind this is supposed to be that it says in the Qur'an that God has hands, for example - and Muslims are not permitted to interpret, just know that He does. I'm not sure how much of it is common Sunni belief or just simplifications.

Can you give me the Shi'i interpretation, please?

Salam; May peace and blessings of God be upon you.

Sunni and shia interpretations of the verses, in which the terms such as "hands", "face", "throne" of God are that hands refer to power, face refers to grace and throne refers to the might. Or the verses such as "You threw not but God threw it" refers to the approval by God for the actions of the Holy Prophet.

However, only wahhabis take such terms literal and they are of mujassima category. And Islamqa website which you referred is a wahhabi website, not a sunni or a deobandi one. (It is not weird that the saudi-wahabis whose God understanding is so lowly are the ones excommunicating all other Muslims and killing and beheading them in Syria, Iraq, Pakistan and now by attacking Yemen. What I mean is, of course, the people who can take these verses about even God literal, -for instance- would see grave visists as worshipping them.).

In any case, unlike wahhabis (or the sunnis who are affected by them without realizing, or their shia versions such as the akhbaris) all the sunnis and shias believe that God has no body parts or movements and that such terms can not be taken literally. Sunni and Shia Islamic understanding of God is great. However, there is one mistake which sadly some layman among the sunni brethren hold, that they believe God can be seen literally in Paradise. I hope that they correct this mistake and believe in a perfect Tawhid as most shiites and sunnis do.

Here's an article (taken from my favourite spiritual magazine; Message of Thaqalayn) on the subject of God in shia Islamic traditions:

http://www.messageofthaqalayn.com/41-God.pdf

Please check it and see the hadith starting in page 7. It is a great description of God who has no flaws.

Blessings my friend.

walaikum salam brother
Jazakallah in advance.

Salam. May peace and blessings be upon you, brother.

You need to know that, the difference between sunnis and shiittes is that sunni Muslims usually take the verdicts of hadith narrators as their guide; (e.g. common sunnis of the age say: if -let's say- Bukhari says a hadith is authentic and narrates it, than it is); whereas most shiite Muslims care about but not surrender themselves to hadith narrators; e.g. shiites say: we, ourselves, (or if we can't, someone who is alive who we trust; i.e. marja) have to analyze the narrations in even the most trusted books like -let's say- el-Kafi, through the study of rjial, i.e. the chain of narrators. So, you can't say a shia muslim that "you have to believe this way cause it is written in your hadith books and the person who recorded it says it is authentic."; because unlike sunnis, shiites don't surrender themselves to the verdicts of hadith recording people who were not infallibles and who could and definitely made mistakes about degreeing hadiths.

And then, there is the most important thing. Shiites are categorized into two groups in the study of hadiths. Usoulis versus Akhbaris. Usoulis (essencists) use their mind in the study of hadiths whereas Akhbaris (narrationists) don't. Like in the study and interpretations of the Holy Quran sunni-shiite/shia-sufi (i.e. all) Muslims (except wahhabis) use their mind and study if the verses are Makki or Madani, Nasikh (abrogating) or Mansukh (abrogated), literal or metaphorical or both, their sibaaq and siyaq (previous and next verses) and also cross-references, etc.; in the study of the hadiths too the same things should be kept in mind (i.s., when were the hadiths said, to whom they were said; who were the adressees of the particular hadiths, under what conditions they were said, what were the aims and philosophy of these sayings, etc.). And alhamdolellah (glory to the Lord) USOULI SHIAS keep these things in mind, while Akhbari Shias (who are very few in number compared to Usoulis) don't. (Akhbaris among Shiites are like Wahhabis among Sunnis. i.e. They take narrations before the reason).

I hope it helps about your study of your brother madhab, shiite Islam.

And about God in shia islamic traditions, please refer to the article which I shared above as a reply for brother Breathe.

Blessings.

Last edited: