• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is FANAA-FILLAAH?

Farrukh

I want to understand this term, my boss is a sufi and he claims that fana fillah is highest rank in sufisim which leaves no difference between God and sufi who goes in this fana fillah state. Is he right in his claim? Is it really possible if he is right?

Abu Fauzi

Assalam alaikum,
Kindly permit me to contribute on the topic above on "FANA" or Self-Negation, started by Farrukh. I will want us to look at on this subject from the perspective of that universally acclaimed arif and Sufi Teacher par exellence, Sayyadi al-Junaid al-Baghdadi, may Allah be Merciful to him, who said that "There are 3 stages of fana: the first is transcendence of attributes (sifat), dispositions (akhlaq) and natural desires. You attain to this by carrying out your duties, by striving hard and by opposing the carnal soul (al-nafs) and denying it its desires through imposing on it unpleasant things.

The second stage of FANA is that you relinqish all thought of joy and pleasure that you may get in obeying Allah's Commands. You attain to this stage when you comply to the demands of Allah purely for His Sake.

The third stage of FANA is that you cease to be conscious of your ecstatic experience (of Allah) as a result of overwhelming vision of Allah's witness (Shahid) to you. At this stage you die as well as live, and you live in reality, for you die to yourself and live by Allah. Your personal characteristics (rasm) survive, but your independent existence (ism) vanishes."

For further reading n this, see
Abdel-Kadir's: "Rasa'il L-Junaid, page 55.

Farrukh

sorry this definition of yours is too complicated, how many companions of prophet(may peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) got to these three stages?

Abu Fauzi

Assalam alaikum,
To the 'Angry Bird', and others who may read this piece I say: Sorry I am not out here to debate but discuss and/or share knowledge. All you can/may do is refer what I said [above] about the 3 levels of Fana in Sufism with your Boss and listen to what he may say to you on same.

All the same, further to your's above, I will say that all the Noble Companions of the Messenger of Allah strived hard to be on Allah's Path with the highest sense of Ubudiyya... which is the essence of FANA....most especially those Muhajjuroon in the Prophet's time, who sat in his Masjid and devoted themselves to the worship of Allah Ta'ala, and firmly believed that Allah would give them their daily bread and put their trust in Him. The Prophet, peace be upon him, was enjoined to consort with them and take care of them; for Allah Azzah Wa Jallah says:--

"Do not repulse those who call on their Lord in the morning and in the evening, desiring His favour". (6:52)

All of those Noble Companions [want their names listed?..refer to your nearest Islamic Mu'alim or Boss, whom you said is a Sufi] separated their Hearts from all but Allahu, Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala.
Regards.