• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Falun Gong

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I hope this thread is not seen as a form of proselyting because that is not what it is meant for.

I know Falun Gong Also known as Falun Dafa is not very well known in this forum and I want to give a form of introduction to it. But of course, it is free to read it or choose not to read it :)

Also if this thread is in the wrong part of the forum Mods are free to move it.

I ask of you who read this, please do not edit or change any of the word written in the introduction, since we who follow Falun Gong have been told to not change any wording written by our Master Li Hongzhi. or of any of his closest practitioners (who help him with some of the texts)

You will come across the word Xinxin(chinese) and this means morality.

Brief Introduction to Falun Dafa
Falun Dafa (also called Falun Gong) is an advanced practice of Buddha school self-cultivation, founded by Mr. Li Hongzhi, the practice’s master. It is a discipline in which “assimilation to the highest qualities of the universe—Zhen, Shan, Ren (Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance)—is the foundation of practice. Practice is guided by these supreme qualities, and based on the very laws which underlie the development of the cosmos.” Master Li’s teachings are set forth in a number of texts, among which are included Falun Gong, Zhuan Falun, The Great Perfection Way of Falun Dafa, Essentials for Further Advancement, and Hong Yin (The Grand Verses). These and other works have been translated into over forty languages, and are published and distributed worldwide.

The focus of Falun Dafa practice is the mind, with the cultivation of one’s mind and thoughts, or “Xinxing,” being singled out as the key to increasing Gong energy. The height of a person’s Gong is directly proportionate to that of his Xinxing. The concept of “Xinxing” encompasses the transformation of virtue (a white form of matter) and karma (a black form of matter). It also includes forbearance, discernment, and abandonment—that is, forsaking ordinary human desires and attachments, and managing to endure the most trying of ordeals. Much is encompassed by the concept.

Falun Dafa also includes the cultivation of the body, which is accomplished by performing specific exercises. One purpose of the exercises is to strengthen the practitioner’s supernatural abilities and energy mechanisms by means of his or her powerful Gong force. Another purpose is to develop many living entities in the practitioner’s body. In advanced practice, the Immortal Infant will come into being and many abilities will be developed. The exercises of Falun Dafa are necessary for the transformation and cultivation of such things. A comprehensive mind-body cultivation system such as this requires both self-cultivation and physical exercises, with cultivation taking priority over exercises. A person’s Gong simply will not increase if he or she merely does exercises while failing to cultivate Xinxing. The exercises are thus a supplemental means to achieving spiritual perfection.

Falun Dafa involves the cultivation of a Falun, or “law wheel.” The Falun is an intelligent, rotating entity composed of high-energy matter. The Falun that Master Li Hongzhi plants in a practitioner’s lower abdomen from other dimensions rotates constantly, twenty-four hours a day. (True cultivators can acquire a Falun by reading Master Li’s books, watching his 9-session lectures on video, listening to recordings of his 9-session lectures, or studying together with students of Falun Dafa.) The Falun helps practitioners to practice automatically. That is, the Falun refines the practitioner at all times, even though he or she isn’t performing the exercises at every moment. Of all practices made public in the world today, only Falun Dafa has managed to achieve a state in which, “the Fa refines the person.”

The rotating Falun has the same qualities as the universe, and is the universe’s miniature. The Buddhist Falun, the Daoist Yin-Yang, and everything of the Ten-Directional World are reflected in the Falun. The Falun provides salvation to the practitioner when it rotates inward (clockwise), since it absorbs a great amount of energy from the universe and transforms it into Gong energy. The Falun provides salvation to others when rotating outward (counter-clockwise), for it releases energy that can save any being and rectify any abnormal condition. Being in the presence of someone who practices thus benefits a person.

Falun Dafa “brings a person to a state of wisdom and harmonious existence. The movements of the practice are concise, as a great way is extremely simple and easy.” Falun Dafa is unique in eight ways:

1. A Falun is cultivated, rather than an energy elixir.

2. The Falun refines the person even when he or she is not doing the practice’s exercises.

3. One’s primary consciousness is cultivated, such that it is the person him or herself who obtains Gong energy.

4. Both mind and body are cultivated.

5. The practice consists of five exercises, which are simple and easy to learn.

6. The mind is not used to direct anything, there are no associated risks, and Gong energy increases quickly.

7. Location, time, and direction are not of concern when exercising, nor is how one concludes one’s exercise session.

8. Protection is provided by the master's Fashen, so one needn’t fear harm from malevolent entities.

The teachings of Falun Dafa are thus completely unlike those of conventional practice methods or those that are based on the development of an internal elixir, or Dan.

Falun Dafa practice begins at a high plane right from the outset, thus providing the most expedient, fast, ideal, and precious means of practice for those with a predestined connection or who have been practicing for years using other means but failed to develop Gong.

When a practitioner’s Xinxing and the strength of his Gong reach a certain height, he or she can attain an imperishable, adamantine body while still in the secular world. A person can also achieve the “unlocking of Gong,” enlightenment, and ascension of the whole person to higher planes. Those with great determination should study this upright teaching, strive to achieve their ultimate rank, elevate their Xinxing, and forsake their attachments. Only then is spiritual perfection possible.

May you cherish it—the Buddha Fa is right before you.

Falun Dafa - Introduction

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Falun Gong is a form of Chinese Medicine where the practitioners attempt to heal themselves not healing others.

It is a spiritual cultivation path, but, its goal for practitioners is not to gain super-normal abilities ( example: healing the sick ) like other spiritual cultivation paths. If/When a practitioner develops super-normal abilities by cultivating Falun Dafa ( law wheels ) it is deemed to be a side-effect. However, it is not a surprise that people seek out Falun Gong hoping to become like-Buddha and gain these super-normal abilities for themselves.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Falun Gong is a form of Chinese Medicine where the practitioners attempt to heal themselves not healing others.

It is a spiritual cultivation path, but, its goal for practitioners is not to gain super-normal abilities ( example: healing the sick ) like other spiritual cultivation paths. If/When a practitioner develops super-normal abilities by cultivating Falun Dafa ( law wheels ) it is deemed to be a side-effect. However, it is not a surprise that people seek out Falun Gong hoping to become like-Buddha and gain these super-normal abilities for themselves.
Thank you for your reply @dybmh :)
Yes for those who develop super-normal abilities it is seen as a side effect and should be taken very lightly. The cultivation is toward enlightenment, and not about abilities that we should not wish for or if gained should never show to others.
The main focus is Zhen, shan, ren.

But one thing I may correct in your answer is about Chinese medicine :) (In my own words) Falun Gong is about the purification of self, not about healing :) And the purification happens when we develop Gong energy.
You know of Chi energy, that I believe you do. Chi energy is for healing. Gong is for spiritual development, and it shows what level of wisdom a practitioner have reached :)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Falun Gong is about the purification of self, not about healing
purification of the self is healing. healing is purification of the the self.
Chi energy is for healing
I don't think this is how Master Li would describe it. But I could be wrong. I recall that he spoke about Chi as a manner of dislodging ( flushing ) Karma. Karma is described as a negative sticky substance in Falun Gong. It's described somewhat later in the lecture series. I can try to look it up if it's helpful.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
purification of the self is healing. healing is purification of the the self.

I don't think this is how Master Li would describe it. But I could be wrong. I recall that he spoke about Chi as a manner of dislodging ( flushing ) Karma. Karma is described as a negative sticky substance in Falun Gong. It's described somewhat later in the lecture series. I can try to look it up if it's helpful.
Master Li Honghi own words from the teaching:
Chinese energy practices, known by names like chi-gong and tai-chi, have
taught that there are three phases of practice—beginning, intermediate,
and advanced. But as it turns out, all of those phases are at a basic stage
since they work on the lower form of energy known as chi.

I will only answer falun dafa related questions with quoting my master because if i answer with my limited knowledge of the truth i might harm the teaching instead of making it right

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Master Li Honghi own words from the teaching:
Chinese energy practices, known by names like chi-gong and tai-chi, have
taught that there are three phases of practice—beginning, intermediate,
and advanced. But as it turns out, all of those phases are at a basic stage
since they work on the lower form of energy known as chi.

I will only answer falun dafa related questions with quoting my master because if i answer with my limited knowledge of the truth i might harm the teaching instead of making it right

Yes. Of course. I am not a practioner, so I have more freedom in my responses.

That said, I'll go back to Master Li's words on Chi and how he defines its function in while cultivating Gong. I am specifically remembering him speak about what Chi isn't as well as what it is. He compares it to the Chi concept in other schools of thought.

I'll go find these quotes ( assuming i am remember correctly ) and report back either with the quotes or with a retraction of what I previously said.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Amanaki ,

It's in the eighth talk... starting on page 190 of Zhuan Falun. ( emphasis mine ).

Chi is not for healing Per Master Li:

"What this suggests is that you won’t be free from disease if you still have chi. Chi serves no purpose for us since we do true spiritual practice and need to purify our bodies."

"Daoist practice often incorporates things like holding special stances, while Buddhist ones often use the hands to channel chi into the head. There’s enough chi in the universe for someone to spend all day channeling it in, and that’s possible to do once the acupoints known as the Palace of Toil and Hundred Convergences have been opened. A person can use his hands to channel chi if he focuses his mind on the body’s energy center, and in no time he will be filled with it. But that still doesn’t accomplish anything, no matter how much is stored up."

"Bear in mind that as long as your body has chi in it there will be sickness present."

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes. Of course. I am not a practioner, so I have more freedom in my responses.

That said, I'll go back to Master Li's words on Chi and how he defines its function in while cultivating Gong. I am specifically remembering him speak about what Chi isn't as well as what it is. He compares it to the Chi concept in other schools of thought.

I'll go find these quotes ( assuming i am remember correctly ) and report back either with the quotes or with a retraction of what I previously said.
In my own understanding. Chi is energy for healing used in Qi gong-like tai chi, but for those who practice Falun Gong, the only energy we develop is Gong energy. and this energy even it could be used for healing our self or others, is not meant for healing. it is meant for spiritual growth.

The reason we should not do healing is that since we who are on a lower level still, can not see the true cause of someone's illness. And if we took away the illness, how would the person be able to repay his karmic debt?
the true cause of someone's illness lay not in this human realm but in a different dimension, and without the third eye opened on high enough level we can not see it, and would not be able to remove the full karma that the person holds, and it would also be wrong according to universal law in my understanding

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
@Amanaki ,

It's in the eighth talk... starting on page 190 of Zhuan Falun. ( emphasis mine ).

Chi is not for healing Per Master Li:

"What this suggests is that you won’t be free from disease if you still have chi. Chi serves no purpose for us since we do true spiritual practice and need to purify our bodies."

"Daoist practice often incorporates things like holding special stances, while Buddhist ones often use the hands to channel chi into the head. There’s enough chi in the universe for someone to spend all day channeling it in, and that’s possible to do once the acupoints known as the Palace of Toil and Hundred Convergences have been opened. A person can use his hands to channel chi if he focuses his mind on the body’s energy center, and in no time he will be filled with it. But that still doesn’t accomplish anything, no matter how much is stored up."
This is true. Thank you for clarify what you wanted to say, so now we do agree :)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The reason we should not do healing is that...

...it harms the practitioner while healing the patient...

This renders 2 problems compounded. The practitioner is harmed, and then the practitioner acquires Karma from harming themselves.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It harms the practitioner while healing the patient...
It actually is harming both, because if a practitioner can not see what sickness the person have the practitioner may not be able to remove the karma, and then have to take it into themself, and what happens then is that the practitioner virtue replace the karma of the person they try to heal, so the question then becomes, how can the person who asked for healing repay their karma if it is removed without any effort of suffering?

Human beings suffer because of too much karma and too little virtue. and as practitioners, we should not interfere with their karmic situation. we would not try to heal each other either.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It actually is harming both, because if a practitioner can not see what sickness the person have the practitioner may not be able to remove the karma, and then have to take it into themself, and what happens then is that the practitioner virtue replace the karma of the person they try to heal, so the question then becomes, how can the person who asked for healing repay their karma if it is removed without any effort of suffering?

Human beings suffer because of too much karma and too little virtue. and as practitioners, we should not interfere with their karmic situation. we would not try to heal each other either.
Really good points... thank you.