• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Evil?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Sunstone said:
I'd say that calling Mother Teresa a good person is shorthand for "She did a lot of good things." But in herself was she good? I think that, like anyone else, the terms good and evil do not apply to people, but to actions.
i see what you're saying Sunstone...

jewscout

Religious Zionist
i guess for me it's really more of a spiritual thing. If someone does good deeds it makes themselves more holy just as someone who commits evil acts poisons themselves on a spiritual level because they were unable to resist the temptation, they failed their test so to speak

Fluffy

A fool
Evil, in the theoretical sense, is the opposite to good. It is often viewed, and totally unjustifiably so, as being worse than good and therefore as something one should strive to avoid.

It is often applied to whatever a particular person disagrees with doing, which is where the confusion creeps in, especially when 2 people hold opposite beliefs. Therefore, nothing is evil in the general sense since it will vary from person to person. I cannot possibly see the idea of an objective evil being able to exist but I am open to counter arguements.

i wonder what viewpoint finds child molestation good?:sarcastic
I'm not saying i think child molestation is good. In fact i would consider it evil. But there ARE people out there that do not have the same values and ideals as the majority of people. And those are the ones you see killing for no apparent reason. Because in some of their minds, they don't think its wrong.

Melody

Sunstone said:
Can people be inherently evil, Feathers? Or is it that only their actions can be good or evil?
I am probably in the minority here but, yes, I believe people can be inherently evil. During my abnormal psych class our readings included a set of case histories of children who, at very young ages (under 8) set their parents on fire, stabbed them while they were sleeping, killed a sibling, etc. for no other reason than that it seemed like a good idea at the time. These particular case studies involved children who came from loving and attentive homes and were not abused in any way.

Psychologists used to call them psychopaths. Then they changed the name to sociopath. Now it's just antisocial behavior. Not all with this diagnosis actually commit murder though and many function quite well in society....as talk show hosts and politicians. :D So I tend to separate these individuals from the ones who go so far as to murder.

I think "evil" is a personal definition and mine involves motive. I don't necessarily believe that a person who kills is evil. For example, I don't think a robber who shoots someone (or several someones) during their robbery attempt is necessarily evil. Yes, it's wrong and really poor judgment...but evil? No. If that person just decides one day to go out and kill someone just because they want to know what it's like to take someone's life...then I believe that person is evil.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I must admit, the contents of the posts on this subject have made me think - which, after all, is why we are here. Jewscout; I do think (I have said this before, in another thread) that we should 'love' people like Hitler - loathsome as that sounds. religious beliefs, to my way of thinking, are the beliefs that would include a 'Now, What would God do here, in this case' scenario. I think there is little doubt that God would love him - even if he is/was a very bad child. I struggle with this, because I cannot imagine myself loving Hitler - whatever my mind and my learning says, my emotions would come up, and make me want to do something horrific to him.

And there's the rub - "and make me want to do something horrific to him." - I would then be descending to his level, and doing something evil.

It does depend totally on the individual, which path he takes, at any one point; an abused person can either turn into an abuser, or can help other abused people recover from their problems. That would seem to indicate that evil is not an 'inherent' trait; I suppose I shaall have to disagree with Feathers, reluctantly, and say that we all have the ability to be good or evil.:)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Jewscout; I do think (I have said this before, in another thread) that we should 'love' people like Hitler - loathsome as that sounds. religious beliefs, to my way of thinking, are the beliefs that would include a 'Now, What would God do here, in this case' scenario. I think there is little doubt that God would love him - even if he is/was a very bad child. I struggle with this, because I cannot imagine myself loving Hitler - whatever my mind and my learning says, my emotions would come up, and make me want to do something horrific to him.

i will not say whether or not G-d loves Hitler or people like him
But unless he preformed some great mitzvot at the end of his life...HaShem doesn't take to kindly to people who break a universal commandment, You shall not MURDER

but then again who's to say how a man like that fits into His divine plan...

A

angellous_evangellous

Melody said:
I think "evil" is a personal definition and mine involves motive. I don't necessarily believe that a person who kills is evil. For example, I don't think a robber who shoots someone (or several someones) during their robbery attempt is necessarily evil. Yes, it's wrong and really poor judgment...but evil? No. If that person just decides one day to go out and kill someone just because they want to know what it's like to take someone's life...then I believe that person is evil.
I will cetianly agree that evil involves motive, but I don't think you are making a clear point here. Shooting someone in a robbery can have just as much evil motive as killing someone for the heck of it. In my mind, if someone kills another in a robbery, it is just as bad or worse than killing "for the heck of it." The robber would have had to bring a weapon and determined that the robbery was worth more than someone else's health and safety, which is cold-blooded pre-meditation, which is a horrible neglect of human life. Furthermore, if the person kills more than one person, most likely the killer is killing witnesses, which will insure the death penalty where it is allowed or the toughest sentence...

A

angellous_evangellous

michel said:
I must admit, the contents of the posts on this subject have made me think - which, after all, is why we are here. Jewscout; I do think (I have said this before, in another thread) that we should 'love' people like Hitler - loathsome as that sounds. religious beliefs, to my way of thinking, are the beliefs that would include a 'Now, What would God do here, in this case' scenario. I think there is little doubt that God would love him - even if he is/was a very bad child. I struggle with this, because I cannot imagine myself loving Hitler - whatever my mind and my learning says, my emotions would come up, and make me want to do something horrific to him.

And there's the rub - "and make me want to do something horrific to him." - I would then be descending to his level, and doing something evil.

It does depend totally on the individual, which path he takes, at any one point; an abused person can either turn into an abuser, or can help other abused people recover from their problems. That would seem to indicate that evil is not an 'inherent' trait; I suppose I shaall have to disagree with Feathers, reluctantly, and say that we all have the ability to be good or evil.:)
Yes, in our value system, choices must be made based on balancing neglects and provisions according to justice and other ethical principles. Hitler was evil: he caused great neglect to the Jews of Europe, the Russians, and used his power only for neglect and sufferring. We must neglect those who cause greater neglect in order to provide for the greater good.

Melody

angellous_evangellous said:
I will cetianly agree that evil involves motive, but I don't think you are making a clear point here. Shooting someone in a robbery can have just as much evil motive as killing someone for the heck of it. .
I said that they weren't "necessarily" evil just because they killed. Just having a gun doesn't mean they every intended to use it. Some people just don't think and it never occurs to them that the fact that they have a gun means someone is probably going to get killed. I'd call these people stupid...not evil.

DrCash7

Sunstone said:
What about Good as "the affirmation of life", Scott?
But then the next argument would be life is the affirmation of God. You are both saying the same thing just giving it a different name. Good is (fill in the blank) and evil is the absence of (what you filled in the blank before with).

Ormiston

SOGFPP said:
My cat does that all the time..... I believe you can not define evil unless you are prepared to accept some form of divine/natural law.

Evil, to me, is the absence of good.... but again, it's impossible to define "good" (at least for me) without God.

Scott
I agree wholeheartedly. The problem is, I don't believe in Absolute Good & Evil. I know what's good for me (anyone who knows me will disagree :) ). The people of Earth are so varied and different in the ways that they think that "Good & Evil" must have tens of thousands of different definitions. I don't think it exists at all outside of our human lives.

IMO, EVIL and GOOD are abstract meanings we have created. So no matter how you interprete one or the other, there will always be room for discussion... oh, but this is a forum, so that's the point right? :bonk: