• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a spiritual atheist?

Splarnst

Why don't you ask your friend what she means? Surely she knows what she has in mind better than anyone else.

But remember:

spirituality ≠ religion
atheism ≠ naturalism

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Could be an atheist that believes in ghosts. Could be an atheist that thinks there's "something more" to life.

Could be an atheist that just wants to keep a little childish whimsy in their lives...

gnomon

Atheism does not equate to the phrase without religion.

Religion does not absolutely mean belief in god.

Some buddhists, alien based religions, certain groups of secular humanists, pantheists, those who adhere to early Indic religions, other naturalistic philosophies resembling religion, and blah, and blah and blah.

However, it does seem that the increasing use of the term atheist by those who are or are not atheists means without adherence to religion.

Shame for a term to go out in such a stupid manner.

freethinker44

spirituality ≠ religion
atheism ≠ naturalism

That's not necessarily true. Spirituality isn't exclusive to religion and naturalism isn't exclusive to atheism. Atheism by itself is not a religion but there are religions that have no requirement to believe in a deity. And I have met more than a few atheists who believe in ghosts or an afterlife. They just don't believe there is a supreme dictator farming humans.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
To me, a love of art and music can be "spiritual", as can being in awe of nature, science and the universe. Perhaps she meant it as a sort emotional depth rather than in the literal, traditional sense.

Splarnst

That's not necessarily true. Spirituality isn't exclusive to religion and naturalism isn't exclusive to atheism. Atheism by itself is not a religion but there are religions that have no requirement to believe in a deity. And I have met more than a few atheists who believe in ghosts or an afterlife. They just don't believe there is a supreme dictator farming humans.
The first sentence implies you're disagreeing with me. The rest of implies you're agreeing with me. I'm confused.

My point was that each of those pairs isn't synonymous. That's all.

Last edited:

Splarnst

AHowever, it does seem that the increasing use of the term atheist by those who are or are not atheists means without adherence to religion.

Shame for a term to go out in such a stupid manner.
I haven't this particular misuse of the term atheist. I have, instead, actually seen plenty of the correct use of irreligious.

gnomon

I haven't this particular misuse of the term atheist. I have, instead, actually seen plenty of the correct use of irreligious.

I thought about using the term irreligious but was afraid most people wouldn't understand that term.

I came to the conclusion that the term atheist as simply meaning not believing in god(s) was useless after a close friend of mine, who has known me for seven years and knows I'm an atheist plus the many conversations we've had about religion, told me that atheists cannot be religious by definition. Combine that with the thread on these forums a while back in which everyone assumed a secular humanist convention should be just fine labelled as an atheist convention and the constant questioning of whether or not atheists can be spiritual, why are they opposed to religion, and on and on I just give up.

I might be wrong but the concept of the term atheist, in common usage, is being equated with irreligious in my opinion.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My friend says that she is a spiritual atheist. I am confused. Are not the two terms contradictory? Please help me.:confused:

Spiritual is a vague term that can mean very different things to people. For some, it refers to a belief in supernatural entities such as ghosts. Others -- such as myself -- use the word to refer to something having nothing to do with supernatural things. And still others use the word in other ways. Have you asked your friend what she means by "spiritual"? If so, what did she say?