• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a sign from god(s)?

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Signs, unfortunately, are more often that not our own confirmation bias merrily pulling our legs. Based on expectation, we automatically zero out anything that does not match what we are looking for, so that the only thing left standing when the music stops is the thing we were looking for. That's why these events stand out.

Sounds more like 'evidence' for evolution!

Most people of faith I know, are, like myself, taken aback by how emphatically signs can point us in a different direction than we felt we wanted to go, I'd say this happens far more often than 'confirmation'. We don't so much need signs to point us where we were already headed!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I believe it is not a clear sign. Deer do that on occasion. However following his wish it makes it a bit more likely. The trouble is it isn't a message that tells him which way to go but maybe that was the whole idea. God may have been expecting him to make the decision.
I agree completely. He could have taken anything as a sign, wherever he was. In fact, that the Rev was considering seeking another congregation may have been because he kept encountering signs--even if they were of his own subconscious mind--that he needed to move on. As a sign, it could be interpreted as either "buck it up, boy" (no pun intended) and stay in the job, or you need to do the sensible thing and walk away, as the buck did.

There are also levels of meaning that can be read in the sign, if you know native American or European lore regarding stags.

MJFlores

What do you think the message was in the sign of the resurrection?

From the bible - not my own words - from the bible
images

Romans 4:24
but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead.

Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Muffled

Jesus in me
From the bible - not my own words - from the bible
images

Romans 4:24
but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead.

Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

I believe that serves to not answer the question.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I agree completely. He could have taken anything as a sign, wherever he was. In fact, that the Rev was considering seeking another congregation may have been because he kept encountering signs--even if they were of his own subconscious mind--that he needed to move on. As a sign, it could be interpreted as either "buck it up, boy" (no pun intended) and stay in the job, or you need to do the sensible thing and walk away, as the buck did.

There are also levels of meaning that can be read in the sign, if you know native American or European lore regarding stags.

I believe it doesn't work as a sign if one does not know the meaning.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Sounds more like 'evidence' for evolution!

Most people of faith I know, are, like myself, taken aback by how emphatically signs can point us in a different direction than we felt we wanted to go, I'd say this happens far more often than 'confirmation'. We don't so much need signs to point us where we were already headed!

Indeed. Religion seems to attractive to many people who are internally conflicted. Outside direction and order appeals to the mind that is internally chaotic and disordered.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Sounds like a simple question on the surface but there's so many possible answers. I know this kind of thing is often quite personal, but overall, what would you consider to be a sign?

For example, if you prayed for someone and that prayer came true, would that be a sign, no matter what? Couldn't it be coincidence or simply something that was going to happen anyway? How do you know if came from god(s) and wasn't just a natural event? After all, atheists get cured of illness too, without prayers. This is only one example, of course, I just lack the imagination of what a sign looks like.

I'm very intrigued on how a person of faith distinguishes whether something is a sign or simply something that happens.

Note: I posted this in debates, because I want for anyone to be able to ask questions, debate ideas and reply to others but I also considered posting this in interfaith dialogue. Please don't make me regret posting this here. I hope this thread remains civil, thank you.

Interpreting "signs" is really an exercise in interpreting and confirming one's own desires. Internally honest, aware, and consistent minds have far less of a need for such activities. I understand why and how such things are appealing to many people though - whether it is seeing "signs,", seeing patterns through astrology or tarot cards, or contextualizing an internal dialogue as "voices."