• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Irks You Most About Atheists, Agnostics, And Non-Believers?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is evidence in the revelations from God. We have knowledge of God because of those revelations.
Which revelations? There are hundreds, they all disagree and none are supported by empirical evidence.
Your "evidence" is unevidenced.
No, we do not have any scientific evidence of God because God cannot be tested and God cannot be considered a fact because God cannot be proven to exist to everyone
Nevertheless, individuals can prove to themselves that God exists by looking at the evidence.
It's more than just "not being proven." Science hasn't "proven" that the Earth is round.
God can't be considered fact not because He's unproven, but because he's entirely unevidenced.

What does "prove to oneself" mean? Proof is not individual. As you said yourself: God can't be tested or proved.
Reasonable to you and other atheists.... Not reasonable to believers. ;)
Reasonable is an algebraic function. It's universal, doesn't vary, and isn't individualized. Boolean algebra - Wikipedia
And all of them are revelations from God that came to humanity throughout the ages.
An entirely unevidenced claim, as is the claim that such an author even exists.
I would expect a real revelation from a real God to be clear and universally convincing. The universal accord such a revelation would engender does not exist.
For me, the revelation of God that is evidence that God exists is the Revelation of Baha'u'llah, but because I believe in it I also believe the older revelations are from God.
But where is the evidence supporting either this God or this particular revelation?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Trailblazer said: There is evidence in the revelations from God. We have knowledge of God because of those revelations.

Which revelations? There are hundreds, they all disagree and none are supported by empirical evidence.
No, there are not hundreds of legitimate revelations from God.
No, they do not disagree, although they do differ.
Why would they be the same? Why would God send a new Messenger with exactly the same message as before?
God can't be considered fact not because He's unproven, but because he's entirely unevidenced.
The evidence are the revelations from God and the scriptures that result from those.
What does "prove to oneself" mean? Proof is not individual. As you said yourself: God can't be tested or proved.
Proof is definitely individual. We each have to look at the evidence and prove to ourselves that it came from God.
An entirely unevidenced claim, as is the claim that such an author even exists.
I would expect a real revelation from a real God to be clear and universally convincing. The universal accord such a revelation would engender does not exist.
And there is your problem right there; you have unrealistic expectations, expectations that do not concur with reality, given history and human nature.

What logical reason do you have to think that everyone would recognize a Messenger of God that claimed to have a revelation from God? How would everyone know He was the genuine article?

Matthew 7:13-14 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”

The religion at the narrow gate is the religion God wants us to find and follow, and it is the gate that leads to eternal life. But it is not that easy for most people to find this gate because most people are steeped in religious tradition or attached to what they already believe. If they do not have a religion, most people are suspicious of the new religion and the new Messenger. If they are atheists they do not like the idea of Messengers of God or they think they are all phonies.

It is difficult to get through the narrow gate because one has to be willing to give up all their preconceived ideas, have an open mind, and think for themselves. Most people do not normally embark upon such a journey. They go through the wide gate, the easy one to get through – their own religious tradition or their own preconceived ideas about God or no god. They follow the broad road that is easiest for them to travel.
Trailblazer said: For me, the revelation of God that is evidence that God exists is the Revelation of Baha'u'llah, but because I believe in it I also believe the older revelations are from God.

But where is the evidence supporting either this God or this particular revelation?
I will be posting a new thread on that soon because @ Left Coast asked me to post one.