• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if we find evidence of ancient life on Mars that is now extinct?

AdamjEdgar

I have always wondered what other Christians think about the possibility of “alien life” on another planet. The news story below provides an opportunity to ask the forum for its various views on the topic.

Its a little closer to home than perhaps many Christians imagined. i recall when growing up statements such as “God would not let us have access to life on other planets”…my understanding is that we are the only planet to have fallen into sin.

i have not really thought much about whether or not my current theology allows for the potential of finding traces of life on planets such as Mars, however i see two important issues that i need to address in my own theology. These are:

1. Christ died once for all sin (heaven is a universal domain, and when Christ ascended into heaven, he left this place in order to return to the Father to continue his ministry as outlined inthe earthly Sanctuary service model. So that ministry is not yet complete. If there is extinct life on other planets (such as Mars), then why did it die?

2. For what purpose did God fail in His endeavour to set life in motion on Mars? Did he stuff it up?

i am intrigued to hear responses to the news story below from you guys.

What is your Christian world view response to the story below? If it turns out science finds evidence of ancient life on Mars, how might that affect your world view? What would be your thoughts on how it got there? Why is that life no longer on Mars? How would we explain this biblically? If there was once life on Mars, and its now extinct, what does this mean for the biblical claim of salvation via second coming of Christ according to the Christian World view with regards to us on this planet? How would Christians biblically reconcile the extinction of all life on Mars if it turns out there was once was life on said planet? Would this spell disaster for the Christian religion?

Could it be that the traces of life we may find on Mars got there from earth? (as a result of the ejection of matter into space when the fountains of the deep broke up...massive steam explosions over a period of time early in the flood sending huge rocks into the atmosphere and potentially into space)

Last edited:

Tinkerpeach

We would watch with curiosity the same as everyone else would.

It’s not a religious issue since the Bible never addresses it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have always wondered what other Christians think about the possibility of “alien life” on another planet. The news story below provides an opportunity to ask the forum for its various views on the topic.

Its a little closer to home than perhaps many Christians imagined. i recall when growing up statements such as “God would not let us have access to life on other planets”…my understanding is that we are the only planet to have fallen into sin.

i have not really thought much about whether or not my current theology allows for the potential of finding traces of life on planets such as Mars, however i see two important issues that i need to address in my own theology. These are:

1. Christ died once for all sin (heaven is a universal domain, and when Christ ascended into heaven, he left this place in order to return to the Father to continue his ministry as outlined inthe earthly Sanctuary service model. So that ministry is not yet complete. If there is extinct life on other planets (such as Mars), then why did it die?

2. For what purpose did God fail in His endeavour to set life in motion on Mars? Did he stuff it up?

What is your Christian world view response to the story below? If it turns out science finds evidence of ancient life on Mars, how might that affect your world view? What would be your thoughts on how it got there? Why is that life no longer on Mars? How would we explain this biblically? If there was once life on Mars, and its now extinct, what does this mean for the biblical claim of salvation via second coming of Christ according to the Christian World view with regards to us on this planet? How would Christians biblically reconcile the extinction of all life on Mars if it turns out there was once was life on said planet? Would this spell disaster for the Christian religion?

Could it be that the traces of life we may find on Mars got there from earth? (as a result of the ejection of matter into space when the fountains of the deep broke up...massive steam explosions over a period of time early in the flood sending huge rocks into the atmosphere and potentially into space)
Have you read Contact by Carl Sagan? I think it may look something like that for Christians, with some seeing demons and blasphemy and others seeing a god too ast amd too great to treat the Earth as his "green footstool."

Sir Joseph

Origins of life and its implications for aliens on other planets certainly is a religious issue since one's world view dictates perspective and interpretation of reality. Interesting questions AmjEdgar. Too much for me to address more than a few points.

Reading the article produces all questions and no worthwhile answers to assess. Let me move on to your other questions:

I don't know how a Christian could explain a microscopic biological life form found on another planet, but any solid evidence of such would not necessarily refute the Bible's accuracy and authority. It would merely be an unanswered mystery not addressed in the Bible - along with many others.

The concept of human or intelligent alien life elsewhere in the universe is incompatible with the Bible as you've pointed out. Thus, I don't believe it exists or will ever be found. However, there certainly are angels and demons. So while I easily dismiss the talk of alien life on other planets, I hold an ace up my sleeve for the possible UFO sightings. If any of them are legit, I attribute them to demons. And what a great deception that would be for Satan.

I think your numerous questions on Mars is an unnecessary concern. Why not spend your time studying and thinking about equally interesting things that are current and valid versus future things that probably won't happen?

Little Dragon

Could it be that the traces of life we may find on Mars got there from earth?
Quite possibly!
A genome sequencing of any martian critters we come across would solve that mystery. If any critters, are to be found, preferably living ones, for the purposes of DNA/XNA extraction.

I would suspect, that any microbial life forms still extant upon the planet Mars, are likely buried far beneath the crust, and within the safety and warmth of the mantle itself. The surface of Mars seems like a too inhospitable place for living things to exist. Although of course, life proves time and time again, it can tolerate all kinds of normally lethal conditions. From intense gamma rays to high temperatures and extreme acidity etc..