• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if WE are God's experiment?

Aeiralo

kadzbiz said:
what if God (if He exists) Himself is conducting His own experiment upon us to determine, like mice in a maze, whether we are smart and worthy enough to transcend into the next plain of existence by placing such imposing obstacles in our path as how we confront the issue of whether indeed He exists or not?

I think it could be possible. But then again, I don't believe in God. But what if 'God' is being experimented on, and so on and so on? Does that mean we are Godly beings to someone?

I've always liked that line of thinking.

kadzbiz

While travelling Tasmania I spied this internet cafe and thought I'd check my thread. Wow! Some interesting reponses alright. Personally I don't think we're an experiment either, but then again, I don't think I volunteered to be here either. I have to put some obstacles before my kids otherwise they'll never pick up their feet! And I don't think that we are God's perfections because if He is real, we are by no means as perfect as He. Thank you all for participating.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
A god running such an experiment would not be omnipotent or omniscient. He might as well just be a really powerful extraterrestrial.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Do you put imposing obstacles in the path of your children?

Actually, a good parent has to - that doesn't mean that I believe God has made people suffer for a laugh.

There are certain lessons that children can only learn by trial and error for themselves. As a parent, I know only too well the agony of watching one's offspring going off and doing something absurd.

If, as a parent, I try to interfere, it would only make my som more eager to do it; that is part of parenting - having the ability to watch your children making mistakes which they will learn from. Sure, it hurts, but you can't wrap kids in cotton wool.

joeboonda

We are not God's experiment, but we are the objects of His love:

John 3:16 (King James Version)

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Looking around the world and our doings.... sometime I wonder why he bothers about us... He did not need to create us to know what we would do if he did... but here we are, doing what we do, and from the look of it doing our best to destroy his creation.

It can hardly be an experiment as he knows the outcome. If not an experiment then it must have a purpose....

I don't think we have yet found an adequate way to put that purpose into words.

In the meantime, the best course I can think to follow, is the teachings of Jesus.
Even if one does not believe Jesus is God, his teachings give us all the best guide as to how to live a peaceful and loving life.