• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What have you done, or plan on doing to help with Hurriacane relief?

anders

Swedes expect our government to make good use of our tax money for international help. But the US doesn't want help from Sweden.

From the official webpage of the SRSA:
The Swedish Rescue Services Agency’s (SRSA) planned departure of aid to the disaster area New Orleans didn’t go ahead on Sunday. However, planning continues so that aid can be despatched at a later stage.
The reason the SRSA flight didn’t depart on Sunday was that the US authorities do not at present have the facilities to receive foreign humanitarian aid. The SRSA’s planned despatch includes, for example, water purification plants and communications equipment. A team of five would accompany the equipment.

If aid is eventually despatched it will be by Hercules aircraft of the Swedish Armed Forces taking off from Landvetter Airport, which is just outside Gothenburg. The SRSA will, over the next few days, maintain continuous contact with the relevant Swedish and US authorities.

It was on Thursday evening that the SRSA responded to the general request from the US for overseas help. The Swedish Government decided on Friday to task the SRSA with the planning for and execution of despatching humanitarian aid to the US if they request it.
So what could I, a mere private citizen do, when our government isn't allowed to help?

Melody

Feathers,
There's a difference in tooting your own horn in an attempt to say "look how generous I am" and responding to someone's question when asked "how are you helping?"

Personally, I love this thread and wish more people would post because I think it motivates others to give in some way.

I saw on Oprah yesterday (?) that some woman and her daughter (?) went to the convention center with nail polish and were painting the kids toes. I thought that was so cool. Locally, we have the Chelsea Teddy Bear Co. and they're donating thousands of teddy bears to the kids so they have something to hug at night.

When I give monetarily, it's usually through the Salvation Army but we've also offered to house a family in our home for several months if they want to relocate to Michigan. It's not much, but it's clean and dry.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I just had a great experience! Yesterday, my hubby and I spent 10 hours at Camp Williams, an army training base just outside of Salt Lake City. After Katrina, just under 600 evacuees were relocated there. As of yesterday, about half of them were still living there. We had volunteered (with the Red Cross) to help back on Labor Day, and had hoped to be able to do so on several days. There were so many other people who volunteered, though, that we were just able to do so once.

It was such a neat experience, though. The people there ranged in age from just a few months old to age 98! There were people there all alone, separated from their families, and there were also entire extended families spanning generations. A few were angry (mostly at Bush) and a few seemed to still be in a kind of dazed state of mind. But what impressed me was how upbeat the vast, vast majority were. They were laughing, kidding around with each other and with us and were all SO greatful for everything that had been done for them. Most were in the process of finding homes here in Salt Lake, finding jobs, and making a new start for themselves. I was actually quite surprised at the number who have decided to settle here -- particularly when they didn't even know when they boarded the planes leaving New Orleans that this was to be their destination.

One man said he was going to stay and I kidded him that after spending a winter here, he might change his mind. He said, "Well, I understand that the first one's the worst." I answered by saying, "I don't know... I've spent 57 of them and it's never gotten any easier for me!" He said, "I survived Katrina. I can survive anything!"

Another man just started a new job and has finally found an apartment, but his wife is in Texas and refuses to join him here -- even for a month, so see if she likes it. He is just torn, trying to decide what to do.

Another family has month-old twins (hospitalized here). Volunteers were able to move them into their new apartment last night. They were the cutest couple! UTA (Utah Transit Authority) has provided them with bus and commuter train transportation free of charge for one year.

Another woman just kept raving about how when she and here husband were off apartment hunting and stopped in at Kentucky Fried Chicken for lunch, the restaurant gave them their meals free of charge. She just couldn't stop talking about it.

There was one big room where volunteers were handing out helium-filled balloons to the kids. There was an enormous table running the length of the room, filled with books and toys and games of all kinds. At one end of the room were a half dozen or so computers. One man wanted me to help him use one of them to locate a lawyer back in New Orleans, but they were all taken by kids playing games. I didn't want to kick any of the kids off, but we really needed to use one. I went to my husband for help. Without hesitating for a split second, he walked up to the computer bank and announced, "I have two dollars for the first kid willing to give up his computer." We had a computer instantly, and the kid ran off with the two bucks as happy as I'd have been had someone just handed me two hundred.

Sorry to have rambled. It was just such a neat, neat experience. The people were so great, so warm and so appreciative. In the space of one afternoon, I gained such an appreciation for my own blessings. I'm going to remember yesterday for a long, long time.

Kathryn

Ardent Listener

I made a rather large donation through our local radio station and got a lot of free advertising for my massage business. (Hey, the more I make the more I can help others.;) ) Tomorrow, the massage school I teach at is going to donate the money raised by the students doing massage to the relief fund. That is how I'll be spending my Saturday.:)