• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has the Spirit been teaching you lately?

DavyCrocket2003

Hi guys! I've been getting a little weary of all of the debate and endless argument that seems to take place on here. I think it's a shame seeing how there are so many awesome people here that know so much and are servants of the Lord. I started this thread as a place to come and share ideas and things that you are thinking about. Here we can discuss the principles of the kingdom that God is teaching us as we go through our journey of life. Thank you ahead of time. I look forward to learning and growing from all of you!

DavyCrocket2003

Here's a question that I really like asking people: What is your practical approach to living the Gospel? What is your "strategy" to implementing the truths that we have been taught? What do you focus on each day? What are your long term goals, and how does that fit in with your day to day life? Do you focus on one principle of the Gospel at a time? If so, which is it and why? How do you involve faith and prayer in the process? Do any of you have a personal creed of sorts? Something like an anthem or motto?

I would love to find out some of these things. And please! Don't be shy! I have a lot to learn and I am SURE that every one of you have great things to offer!

Otherright

Otherright
It really is hard to explain, and I've touched on it in other threads, but the universe, our souls, consciousness, appears to be working at a quantum level.

Classical physics plays a role in it also. The way it fits together is really astonishing.

DavyCrocket2003

Wow. Didn't think I would get a response tying in quantum and classical mechanics. I wish I was a supergenius so that I could fit everything together. This sounds really interesting. You must have a physics background, right?

I was in my math class sitting there learning about three dimensional surfaces and stuff and the beauty of it just hit me. I was like "Man! I am so lucky to be able to sit here and learn and comprehend this stuff! I mean, what percent of the matter of the universe is sentient, and conscious, and able to actually model understanding of the universe around it? Not much!" Then I was just blown away by the beauty of the universe and the joy of living in it. What a miracle to be alive and to live at a time when we have so much knowledge at our fingertips!

jojo50

I learn to understand what Jesus said, concerning how his followers should live and pray. Before I take anyone’s word ,I do much research. I don’t care what others may say and think of me for trying to live a certain way, which may be different than others. I make sure there’s nothing standing in the way of me wanting to learn the truth. Be-it family friends, or even a mate, NONE of these mean more to me than getting closer to God, (Jesus Father Jehovah).and believing what Jesus teached, (Matt.10:36,37- And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me). Jesus won’t go to God for anyone who cares more of what family say and feel concerning him, or his teachings of God. (See verse 32 and 33 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven). Acknowledge Jesus and his teachings, he’ll go to God for you.

Daily I make sure I go to Jehovah ,(talking/praying),in Jesus name. I feel something missing from my life if I don’t go to him. I pray to Jehovah God,(Jesus Father), instead of praying to Jesus. First because Jesus NEVER told his followers to pray to him,or do HIS will. Because Jesus NEVER taught that he was the Father,ministers of satan taught that lie. He taught he also did his Father’s will,(John 5:30 -I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me).Jesus shows ALL should be doing HIS Father’s will,NOT HIS, IF…we wants to be acknowledge as his spiritual family,(Matt.12:50-For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother). So no matter how many say, we should worship Jesus,I know from Jesus it’s his Father who we should worship, Just as he did.

So again when I pray I pray to Jehovah through Jesus. Because I know being imperfect, we can’t touch God, Jesus can. We have to go through Jesus in order to get to the Father. Also Jesus never taught anyone to pray to him,(John 14:6 -Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me). I tend to focus on ALL Jehovah’s word, because though he picked who wrote his words, they are still ALL his,(1Thess.2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe).

I’ve been saying this for years, my personal creed ,or motto…“you say I’m wrong, first you got to prove you’re right” I especially say this when in reference to God or his words.
Because I get a lot of…you’re wrong, when it comes to explaining God’s word. Yet the main one’s that says I’m wrong, can’t seem to come up with a better explanation, Lol. I don’t have any problem trying to follow JESUS words,more so than that of man. peace :)

Muffled

Jesus in me
Hi guys! I've been getting a little weary of all of the debate and endless argument that seems to take place on here. I think it's a shame seeing how there are so many awesome people here that know so much and are servants of the Lord. I started this thread as a place to come and share ideas and things that you are thinking about. Here we can discuss the principles of the kingdom that God is teaching us as we go through our journey of life. Thank you ahead of time. I look forward to learning and growing from all of you!

The Holy Spirit is teaching me to meditate but so far He has let me fumble my way through it most of the time.

He did spend one week encouraging me to get to know my spirit. Another time He focused on the abandonment of self.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Here's a question that I really like asking people: What is your practical approach to living the Gospel? What is your "strategy" to implementing the truths that we have been taught? What do you focus on each day? What are your long term goals, and how does that fit in with your day to day life? Do you focus on one principle of the Gospel at a time? If so, which is it and why? How do you involve faith and prayer in the process? Do any of you have a personal creed of sorts? Something like an anthem or motto?

I would love to find out some of these things. And please! Don't be shy! I have a lot to learn and I am SURE that every one of you have great things to offer!

I am at the point now where Jesus lives in me. In practical terms that operates at a subconscious level. As I tell people, I am not sure where I begin and Jesus leaves off.

I don't have to worry about that at all because Jesus always does what is best.

I simply live my life.

Jesus doesn't center on what His long term goals for me are. In essence I have only one goal and that is to be a vessal for Jesus.

Faith is a gift. Prayer comes from Jesus.

I usually am reminded of the two verses Jesus gave me at Baptism.

"you are nothing and your works are nought"

"I will nver leave you nor forsake you, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness"

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Holy Spirit
has recently changed the emphasis of my thinking about God Jesus... and the Holy Spirit.

The few Teachings of Jesus that have come down to us, show us how much his example differed from the times in which he lived.
He was more concerned with our relationship to God and how it affected to our relations with our fellow men, than a detailed set of do's and dont's.
He and God have left us in the hands of the Holy Spirit.

If asked the Holy Spirit will help us in our prayers, and in ways that are both helpful and doable.

jojo50

sorry,but a few of your way of thinking concerning those spiritual beings are wrong. i will show you with scriptures. first you said...Jesus teachings and concerns are were basically directed towards relationship to God and how it affected to our "relations with our fellow men, than a detailed set of do's and dont's." besides dying for our sins,Jesus was ALSO sent here to teach humans about HIS Father. and all we know when it comes to doing his Father's will,(Matt.12:50-For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother).

he also gave us a set of rules,("do's and dont's"), to follow...
1. many believe ministers should get paid, he shouldn't! he tells ministers,to teach their flocks for free ,(Matt.10:8 -Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give). (don’t do things of God for a price, Jesus didn‘t!). and (1Pet.5:2 -Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, (monetary gain, money) but of a ready mind).

2.Matt.6:5- And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. (many are just putting on a show)!

3.Matt.23:9 -And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.(many ministers allow themselves to be called father,spiritually,that’s wrong).

you then said..." He and God have left us in the hands of the Holy Spirit. If asked the Holy Spirit will help us in our prayers." again you're wrong, because the H.S. isn't a third part of Jesus and his Father Jehovah, the H.S. isn't a being,scriptures shows this....

(1).Acts 11:24 For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.( here it taking about Barnabas, if the Holy spirit was a being, why doesn’t the scripture say Barnabas was a good man, always having the holy Spirit with him, or something like that. Instead it says he was full of the Holy spirit)! and (Acts 7:55,56- But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God). again he was FULL of the H.S.. NOT with the H.S.
(2). here,there's no mention of a third high being called the H.S.,(Rev.7:10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb),ONLY Jesus and his Father.

(3).Rev.5:1-8, here the Angel showed no one in and out of Heaven,except for Jesus,(the lamb). could take the book out of Jehovah God's hand,(he's seated on the throne). IF...the H.S was a high being,as Jehovah God and Jesus was. why wasn't he even sitting on a throne,not to mention being worthy of taking the book out of God's hand? many seem tho believe this "being" is worthy enough to do any other speacial thing!

simple for those who's truely seeking, the H.S. ISN'T a being. it's Jehovah's active force. it's Jehovah causing things to happen. example, someone get's you upset,your first tought is to get revenge. but the second though is to let it go. it's NOT your thought..per se,but Jehovah's H.S, he put in our head the right thing to do. of course,one doesn't have to follow it. but all right thoughts we have , is Jehovah basically giving us, food for thought.

so it's NOT a H.S that "Jesus and God" left humans in the hands of. because again it's Jehovah's H.S.,which him personally cauing to happen. it's Jehovah's H.S we need when we pray...to Jehovah IN..Jesus name. peace :)

*Deleted*

I also could contribute to this thread but I can't post here (via decision of staff) even though I'm a member of a Presbyterian Church. They decided I'm not a believer. Interesting and concerning.

Otherright

Otherright
Wow. Didn't think I would get a response tying in quantum and classical mechanics. I wish I was a supergenius so that I could fit everything together. This sounds really interesting. You must have a physics background, right?

I was in my math class sitting there learning about three dimensional surfaces and stuff and the beauty of it just hit me. I was like "Man! I am so lucky to be able to sit here and learn and comprehend this stuff! I mean, what percent of the matter of the universe is sentient, and conscious, and able to actually model understanding of the universe around it? Not much!" Then I was just blown away by the beauty of the universe and the joy of living in it. What a miracle to be alive and to live at a time when we have so much knowledge at our fingertips!

No, I don't have a physics background. My formal education is philosophy and religion.
It doesn't stop me from reading a lot of physics though.

But you are right. WE live in wonderful times.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
sorry,but a few of your way of thinking concerning those spiritual beings are wrong. i will show you with scriptures. first you said...Jesus teachings and concerns are were basically directed towards relationship to God and how it affected to our "relations with our fellow men, than a detailed set of do's and dont's." besides dying for our sins,Jesus was ALSO sent here to teach humans about HIS Father. and all we know when it comes to doing his Father's will,(Matt.12:50-For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother).

he also gave us a set of rules,("do's and dont's"), to follow...
1. many believe ministers should get paid, he shouldn't! he tells ministers,to teach their flocks for free ,(Matt.10:8 -Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give). (don’t do things of God for a price, Jesus didn‘t!). and (1Pet.5:2 -Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, (monetary gain, money) but of a ready mind).

2.Matt.6:5- And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. (many are just putting on a show)!

3.Matt.23:9 -And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.(many ministers allow themselves to be called father,spiritually,that’s wrong).

you then said..." He and God have left us in the hands of the Holy Spirit. If asked the Holy Spirit will help us in our prayers." again you're wrong, because the H.S. isn't a third part of Jesus and his Father Jehovah, the H.S. isn't a being,scriptures shows this....

(1).Acts 11:24 For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.( here it taking about Barnabas, if the Holy spirit was a being, why doesn’t the scripture say Barnabas was a good man, always having the holy Spirit with him, or something like that. Instead it says he was full of the Holy spirit)! and (Acts 7:55,56- But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God). again he was FULL of the H.S.. NOT with the H.S.
(2). here,there's no mention of a third high being called the H.S.,(Rev.7:10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb),ONLY Jesus and his Father.

(3).Rev.5:1-8, here the Angel showed no one in and out of Heaven,except for Jesus,(the lamb). could take the book out of Jehovah God's hand,(he's seated on the throne). IF...the H.S was a high being,as Jehovah God and Jesus was. why wasn't he even sitting on a throne,not to mention being worthy of taking the book out of God's hand? many seem tho believe this "being" is worthy enough to do any other speacial thing!

simple for those who's truely seeking, the H.S. ISN'T a being. it's Jehovah's active force. it's Jehovah causing things to happen. example, someone get's you upset,your first tought is to get revenge. but the second though is to let it go. it's NOT your thought..per se,but Jehovah's H.S, he put in our head the right thing to do. of course,one doesn't have to follow it. but all right thoughts we have , is Jehovah basically giving us, food for thought.

so it's NOT a H.S that "Jesus and God" left humans in the hands of. because again it's Jehovah's H.S.,which him personally cauing to happen. it's Jehovah's H.S we need when we pray...to Jehovah IN..Jesus name. peace :)

I am well aware of the JW views and disagree with many of them.

The very early church as taught in the "Didache" agrees that teachers (prophets) should not ask for support, indeed they should move on in three days, or support them selves with work.
They taught that the Euchrist should be offered when ever they met together, and given in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit ( though there was no concept of the Trinity) They believed in baptism, also in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit. they believed is should be done preferably by immersion but gave alternatives.They taught a majority of the Jewish Do's and Don'ts, But did not pretend that these were the teachings of Jesus.

The texts and booklets that the JW's distribute and discuss, are heavily weighted to the old Testament and Jehovah. Their book "The Greatest man who ever lived " which is intended as a tract on Jesus life, is a framework for their own religious interpretation and becomes increasingly so as it progresses to "revelation"

When you say that the Holy spirit is not a third person, that is indeed a JW doctrine, However a majority of Christians would disagree, even those that do no accept the Trinity as understood.

I have read and discussed religion with many JW (missionaries) and understand their point of view very well. I do not say that you or they are wrong, as their work is to be admired. However I agree with little of it, nor with the practical outcomes of the teachings..

Mudcat

Galactic Hitchhiker
Hi Davy,

Good to see that LDS are represented here. My wife, her parents, and two or her brothers are LDS, so to some degree I am familiar with your faith.

In regards to your OP. The HS has been teaching me how to be patient and how to forgive. They aren't the most fun lessons to learn but I am doing my best to be a good student.

Regards,

Mudcat

Mudcat

Galactic Hitchhiker
The very early church as taught in the "Didache" agrees that teachers (prophets) should not ask for support, indeed they should move on in three days, or support them selves with work.
They taught that the Euchrist should be offered when ever they met together, and given in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit ( though there was no concept of the Trinity) They believed in baptism, also in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit. they believed is should be done preferably by immersion but gave alternatives.They taught a majority of the Jewish Do's and Don'ts, But did not pretend that these were the teachings of Jesus.
Just picking a nit Terry,

Later in the Didache, it seems to give room for a non-itinerant ministry.

From the Didache:
Chapter 15. Bishops and Deacons; Christian Reproof. Appoint, therefore, for yourselves, bishops and deacons worthy of the Lord, men meek, and not lovers of money, and truthful and proved; for they also render to you the service of prophets and teachers. Therefore do not despise them, for they are your honored ones, together with the prophets and teachers. And reprove one another, not in anger, but in peace, as you have it in the Gospel. But to anyone that acts amiss against another, let no one speak, nor let him hear anything from you until he repents. But your prayers and alms and all your deeds so do, as you have it in the Gospel of our Lord.
It's likely that as the Church became more established, room for a more localized ministry needed to be addressed and the clause was added.

Just thought I would mention it though.

Respectfully,

Mudcat

elmarna

god taught me to speak of it in the way i live & support it in the way i should.
POSITIVELY!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Just picking a nit Terry,

Later in the Didache, it seems to give room for a non-itinerant ministry.

From the Didache:

It's likely that as the Church became more established, room for a more localized ministry needed to be addressed and the clause was added.

Just thought I would mention it though.

Respectfully,

Mudcat

From the way it is phrased I think they were expected to be non salaried and to support themselves. Though that may not have been practical in larger communities. but money was certaily not to be of the essence.

Mudcat

Galactic Hitchhiker
From the way it is phrased I think they were expected to be non salaried and to support themselves. Though that may not have been practical in larger communities. but money was certaily not to be of the essence.
I don't agree that a true prophet was to be self supportive... at least as far as the Didache regards it.
Chapter 13. Support of Prophets. But every true prophet who wants to live among you is worthy of his support. So also a true teacher is himself worthy, as the workman, of his support. Every first-fruit, therefore, of the products of wine-press and threshing-floor, of oxen and of sheep, you shall take and give to the prophets, for they are your high priests. But if you have no prophet, give it to the poor
I think if you were to sum up the general corpus of the text, the best likely meaning in regard to ministry and money, is that you shouldn't help people who are using "Christ" as a tool to get money and you should help people who Christ has sent to you.

Regards,

Mudcat

dance-above

Its more of a calling thats been tugging at my heart. Obedience to the Faith and the high calling of God in Glory.