• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has happened to Protestantism?

Tinkerpeach

T
I was baptized an Anglican a few weeks ago.

I am finding, however, that young Protestants (under 30 or 35) seem to take Protestantism to mean:

1. No liturgy.

2. No Tradition.

3. No Saints.

4. Bible only.

5. Rock music.

Etc.

This is not Anglicanism, the largest Protestant denomination in the world. This is not Lutheranism, either.

What is going on?

Do people think liturgy = RCC?

Saints = RCC?

Tradition = RCC?

I have grown up with Anglicanism and we have and always have had all these things.

Wtf is happening to Protestantism?
Times change and much of that stuff is outdated.

Singing those old hymns is about as boring as it gets and certainly not celebrating the joy of Christ. They feel more like a chore you are required to do.

Tinkerpeach

protestantism has taking away the sacred in the church.. sad yes

angelican, catholic and ortdox chuches give people a feeling of awe and feeling the divine

by the way congratulations on being baptised:blush:
If you need a building to feel the presence of God you are doing something wrong.

Eddi

Christian Agnostic
Premium Member
Singing those old hymns is about as boring as it gets and certainly not celebrating the joy of Christ.
I find the more ancient hymns to be inherently more sacred than any pop-style worship music

I especially find the words of Charles Wesley to be beautiful

The olden hymns give me a sense of connection and continuity to a by-gone age and to my spiritual ancestors

I prefer being at a church belting out hymns, "making a joyful noise" to the accompaniment of an organ than standing with my arms in the air as they do in the charismatic tradition, singing along to a band

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Except this is not Anglicanism or Lutheranism, the two largest Prot denominations out there.

So what is going on.
I only can relate to what I'm familiar with: Baptist, Methodist, AME, Congregational, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, local Non-denominational. Though I've heard of the two you refer to, I don't know anything specific about either.

Tinkerpeach

See Holier than thou: have Gen Z turned to Catholicism?.

It's actually growing among young people, just not the modern post-60s stuff.
Sorry but that’s just someone’s opinion.

Here is an actual statistic.

Among religious groups, Catholics show one of the larger drops in attendance, from 45% to 33%, while there are slightly smaller decreases among Orthodox (nine percentage points) and Hindu followers (eight points).

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member

Among religious groups, Catholics show one of the larger drops in attendance, from 45% to 33%, while there are slightly smaller decreases among Orthodox (nine percentage points) and Hindu followers (eight points).

So what?

Gen Z are more religious, this is a fact.

They like Tradition. Numbers dropping doesn't mean they're not attending Masses. Obviously someone is.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member

Like stats?

Everything must be backed up with stats!!!!!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I am finding, however, that young Protestants (under 30 or 35) seem to take Protestantism to mean:

1. No liturgy.

2. No Tradition.

3. No Saints.

4. Bible only.

5. Rock music.

Etc.

This is not Anglicanism, the largest Protestant denomination in the world. This is not Lutheranism, either.

What is going on?

Saints = RCC?

Tradition = RCC?

I have grown up with Anglicanism and we have and always have had all these things.

A lot of these points are touched on in Martin Luther's Five Solas, so they're not exactly new.

"No Tradition" and "Bible only"... that sounds like sola scriptura to me.

"No saints"... that's soli Deo gloria. All glory to God; no veneration of Mary or saints.

To an extent, "no liturgy" ties back to solus Christus. Salvation is solely through Christ, not through sacraments performed by humans.

The Anglican communion kind of wound up "Protestant" by its own weird path and didn't necessarily adhere to all these ideas, but what you're describing seems to be bread-and-butter Protestantism.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

1. No liturgy.

2. No Tradition.

3. No Saints.

4. Bible only.

5. Rock music.

Etc.

What is going on?

Saints = RCC?

Tradition = RCC?

That's because you live in the UK.
Anglicanism is more of a thing in the UK and some african countries. And not particularly representative of other protestant churches.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That's because you live in the UK.
Anglicanism is more of a thing in the UK and some african countries. And not particularly representative of other protestant churches.
As the largest Protestant 'culture' it should be the most widely represented.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As an outsider, when I was growing up, denominations were very much a social class issue. Rich people in upper class neighborhoods attended churches reflecting their social status and so forth.

Then I learned that denominations were once the result of serious disputes about theology.

Today what I see is a divergence between MAGA Authoritarian Christians (what I think of as Taliban-light), those that are in one way or another searching for a new model of Christianity and a dying tradition that many find does not fit any longer.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
As the largest Protestant 'culture' is should be the most widely represented.

But it is not that influential worldwide.

It is like how chinese is one of the most spoken languages in the world, but hardly anyone outside of China is fluent.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
But it is not that influential worldwide.

It is like how chinese is one of the most spoken languages in the world, but hardly anyone outside of China is fluent.
Apparently it's growing largely in East Africa and other colonial places and somewhat in South America.

As a European I'm scuppered looking for any kind of Christian majority, might as well be a Muslim. It's nonsensical.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Apparently it's growing largely in East Africa and other colonial places and somewhat in South America.

As a European I'm scuppered looking for any kind of Christian majority, might as well be a Muslim. It's nonsensical.

Here in Brazil, as far I know, most protestants are either pentecostal, neopentecostal or baptist. Actually, the term 'protestant' is rarely used, people usually go by 'evangelical'.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Here in Brazil, as far I know, most protestants are either pentecostal, neopentecostal or baptist. Actually, the term 'protestant' is rarely used, people usually go by 'evangelical'.
This is part of the problem. Protestant is now being seen as synonymous with Evangelical. It's a load of garbage, as there are specific theologies at play here.