• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHAT HAPPENS TO A MARRIAGE IF ONE OF THE COUPLE CONVERTS TO ISLAM?

Traditional Islamic jurisprudence says that Muslims should only marry each other. The only exception to this is that Muslim men are allowed to marry women who are Ahl al-Kitab (People of Scripture), usually limited to Jews and Christians. Traditionally, Muslim women were not allowed to marry non-Muslim men. But what happens to a non-Muslim couple who are married, and later one or both of them convert to Islam? Here are some fatwas on the issue, that slightly differ from each othe؟

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
But what happens to a non-Muslim couple who are married, and later one or both of them convert to Islam? Here are some fatwas on the issue, that slightly differ from each othe؟

I don’t know. One time, I read about the experience of a woman who was drawn to Islam, came to believe in it, and was ready to take šahādah. When it was time, she and her husband visited a mosque for her formal conversion. Wearing a headscarf and ready to recite her testimony in Arabic, she was told that she cannot convert. If she converted, she would have been the wife of an unbeliever, which would have been a sin in her case. I imagine that if she did convert, there would have been a lot of pressure on her husband to convert.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don’t know. One time, I read about the experience of a woman who was drawn to Islam, came to believe in it, and was ready to take šahādah. When it was time, she and her husband visited a mosque for her formal conversion. Wearing a headscarf and ready to recite her testimony in Arabic, she was told that she cannot convert. If she converted, she would have been the wife of an unbeliever, which would have been a sin in her case. I imagine that if she did convert, there would have been a lot of pressure on her husband to convert.
What did she do after that?