• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHat happened to the Jews?

other-side

Soul separator
Ok I was just reading Quran when I reached this Verse:

(2,54) And remember Moses said to his people: "O my people! Ye have indeed wronged yourselves by your worship of the calf: So turn (in repentance) to your Maker, and slay yourselves (the wrong-doers); that will be better for you in the sight of your Maker." Then He turned towards you (in forgiveness): For He is Oft- Returning, Most Merciful.

I want to ask the Jews what happened after this event? I have read from a Islamic tafsir book that they went in the river and washed themselves and they came out killing each other:areyoucra is that right?:confused:

Poisonshady313

Ok I was just reading Quran when I reached this Verse:

(2,54) And remember Moses said to his people: "O my people! Ye have indeed wronged yourselves by your worship of the calf: So turn (in repentance) to your Maker, and slay yourselves (the wrong-doers); that will be better for you in the sight of your Maker." Then He turned towards you (in forgiveness): For He is Oft- Returning, Most Merciful.

I want to ask the Jews what happened after this event? I have read from a Islamic tafsir book that they went in the river and washed themselves and they came out killing each other:areyoucra is that right?:confused:

While Moses was on the mountain:

And the Lord said to Moses: "I have seen this people and behold! they are a stiff necked people.
Now leave Me alone, and My anger will be kindled against them so that I will annihilate them, and I will make you into a great nation."
Moses pleaded before the Lord, his God, and said: "Why, O Lord, should Your anger be kindled against Your people whom You have brought up from the land of Egypt with great power and with a strong hand?
Why should the Egyptians say: 'He brought them out with evil [intent] to kill them in the mountains and to annihilate them from upon the face of the earth'? Retreat from the heat of Your anger and reconsider the evil [intended] for Your people.
Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants, to whom You swore by Your very Self, and to whom You said: 'I will multiply your seed like the stars of the heavens, and all this land which I said that I would give to your seed, they shall keep it as their possession forever.' "
The Lord [then] reconsidered the evil He had said He would do to His people.

When Moses came down from the mountain, after smashing the tablets and then asking Aaron what had happened:

And Moses saw the people, that they were exposed, for Aaron had exposed them to be disgraced before their adversaries.
So Moses stood in the gate of the camp and said: "Whoever is for the Lord, [let him come] to me!" And all the sons of Levi gathered around him.
He said to them: "So said the Lord, the God of Israel: 'Let every man place his sword upon his thigh and pass back and forth from one gate to the other in the camp, and let every man kill his brother, every man his friend, every man his kinsman.' "
The sons of Levi did according to Moses' word; on that day some three thousand men fell from among the people.
And Moses said: "Initiate yourselves today for the Lord for each man with his son and with his brother so that He may bestow a blessing upon you this day. "
It came to pass on the next day that Moses said to the people: "You have committed a grave sin. And now I will go up to the Lord; perhaps I will obtain atonement for your sin."
And Moses returned to the Lord and said: "Please! This people has committed a grave sin. They have made themselves a god of gold.
And now, if You forgive their sin But if not, erase me now from Your book, which You have written."
And the Lord said to Moses: "Whoever has sinned against Me, him I will erase from My book!"
And now go, lead the people to [the place] of which I have spoken to you. Behold My angel will go before you. But on the day I make an accounting [of sins upon them], I will bring their sin to account against them."
Then the Lord struck the people with a plague, because they had made the calf that Aaron had made.

The Lord spoke to Moses: "Go, ascend from here, you and the people you have brought up from the land of Egypt, to the land that I swore to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, saying: 'I will give it to your descendants.'

other-side

Soul separator
The sons of Levi did according to Moses' word; on that day some three thousand men fell from among the people.
And Moses said: "Initiate yourselves today for the Lord for each man with his son and with his brother so that He may bestow a blessing upon you this day. "

Thanks for the answer Poisonshady313:)
I wanted to be sure if they killed the wrongdoers or the verse is trying to say something different(something like, kill the desires in them not the wrongdoers!)