• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What gaps are there left?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Do you think if these questions are answered from a scientific perspective, it would fundamentally change people's idea of a creator god?

To be honest: no.

For example: plenty of christians, most actually, accept evolution theory.
Yet many of them still say that god-dun-it, while accepting the theory.
They say god "steered" it. By hand picking mutations, by making specific selection pressures manifest, what-have-you. "theistic evolution" they call it.

People who want to believe, will always find a way.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Well how does anyone falsify naturalism that it must be the default perception of how things happened?

What are the criteria for establishing naturalism?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
To be honest: no.

For example: plenty of christians, most actually, accept evolution theory.
Yet many of them still say that god-dun-it, while accepting the theory.
They say god "steered" it. By hand picking mutations, by making specific selection pressures manifest, what-have-you. "theistic evolution" they call it.

People who want to believe, will always find a way.

That's pretty much the definition of "God of the Gaps", isn't it? Every time we find a way to explain something without invoking the supernatural, people retreat into what's left, as they see it, as unexplained.

What I find fascinating is the way god/s retreated from being part of this natural world to living in some alternate dimension. It's the ultimate retreat, because we can't come up with a natural explanation by definition. God isn't natural! The problem is that by doing that they stretch the requirement of faith to breaking point. Back when people believed in gods of nature, it was relatively easy. If rain is caused by a god, then see! The plants grow! Thank you, rain god! But the new god doesn't seem to do much in the world. Gotta explain that. Well, he doesn't want to do anything. That doesn't seem right, there's so much wrong we could do with some help! It's not up to you to question God. And anyway, he gives us this nice heaven when we die. That does sound nice, how can I be sure about it? You have to just believe by faith.

God gets further and further away in terms of our ability to verify it. And I don't think that's an accident.

No offense meant to those with different ideas of how god is experienced, like the appreciation of beauty in the world. That's not what "God of the Gaps" addresses.

Heyo

Veteran Member
That's pretty much the definition of "God of the Gaps", isn't it? Every time we find a way to explain something without invoking the supernatural, people retreat into what's left, as they see it, as unexplained.

What I find fascinating is the way god/s retreated from being part of this natural world to living in some alternate dimension. It's the ultimate retreat, because we can't come up with a natural explanation by definition. God isn't natural! The problem is that by doing that they stretch the requirement of faith to breaking point. Back when people believed in gods of nature, it was relatively easy. If rain is caused by a god, then see! The plants grow! Thank you, rain god! But the new god doesn't seem to do much in the world. Gotta explain that. Well, he doesn't want to do anything. That doesn't seem right, there's so much wrong we could do with some help! It's not up to you to question God. And anyway, he gives us this nice heaven when we die. That does sound nice, how can I be sure about it? You have to just believe by faith.

God gets further and further away in terms of our ability to verify it. And I don't think that's an accident.

No offense meant to those with different ideas of how god is experienced, like the appreciation of beauty in the world. That's not what "God of the Gaps" addresses.
I widely agree but there are still people left who believe that god helps them find their car keys or creates hurricanes to punish communities which are too liberal. And even though they utterly fail when they make public what the voices in their heads tell them as "prophesy", they won't stop believing.

God of gaps.

Attributing unexplainable phenomenons to God.

What gaps in knowledge are there left?

I can think of three.

What is consciousness?
Consciousness evolved like morality etc, no god required.
And
Why is the laws of physics set up the way it is? (I'm not sure how to exactly frame this question but I think you guys will know what I mean)
The laws of physics are not set up by anyone or anything. They are there because of the structure etc of the universe.
And
Where did the matter of the universe come from?
I assumed you have researched that and if you haven't, you should.
It is still the favoured scenario it came from a small ball of energy although that is not a brilliant explanation.
Which leads me to another question. What did god build it from because there's no mention of anything substantial in the Bible. It's the classic something from nothing scenario and that is simply rubbish.
Do you think if these questions are answered from a scientific perspective, it would fundamentally change people's idea of a creator god?
I believe they have been answered but the desire to have eternity and blame a god for everything is far too great to accept reality.
After all, it's mentally comforting but no evidence still exists.