• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does the scriptures say about

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
When Baha'is get in to a discussion or debate, what does the scriptures say we should do?

Should we carefully back out, or are we supposed to be strong and not back away?

In my experience being a Baha'i means to step lightely in this world, not causing harm to others.

It is a great question.

We need to speak our truth but on the other hand strictly avoid conflict and contention. At all times we need to reflect the spirit of the faith in both words and deeds.

Here's a useful starting point IMHO:

In correcting misrepresentations of the Faith made by those who are hostile to it, our obligation is to set forth Bahá’u’lláh’s teachings cogently and courteously, but firmly, supporting them with rational proofs. Once this has been done, the challenge rests with our hearers, whatever their interests or motivations, to consider our responses in this same spirit of courtesy and objectivity. For Bahá’ís to go further than this, by engaging in acrimonious debate, much less by reflecting on the character of others, would be to cross the line that separates legitimate defense of the Faith from contention.

https://bahai-library.com/pdf/b/bia_responding_criticism_opposition.pdf

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
It is a great question.

We need to speak our truth but on the other hand strictly avoid conflict and contention. At all times we need to reflect the spirit of the faith in both words and deeds.

Here's a useful starting point IMHO:

In correcting misrepresentations of the Faith made by those who are hostile to it, our obligation is to set forth Bahá’u’lláh’s teachings cogently and courteously, but firmly, supporting them with rational proofs. Once this has been done, the challenge rests with our hearers, whatever their interests or motivations, to consider our responses in this same spirit of courtesy and objectivity. For Bahá’ís to go further than this, by engaging in acrimonious debate, much less by reflecting on the character of others, would be to cross the line that separates legitimate defense of the Faith from contention.

https://bahai-library.com/pdf/b/bia_responding_criticism_opposition.pdf
Whoops! I reflected on the character of a member here yesterday. I modified this somewhat today in reply, but it was still there. Thank you for raising my awareness on this issue. :) I already knew this, but I needed to be reminded. It is so easy for me to forget in the heat of the moment.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Just to inform my Baha'i brothers and sister in RF.

All my future OP will be here in the Dir section.
The is no need for taking more ridiculous comments from non Baha'is in open discussion.

It is better to not put my head forward to take more punishment at the moment. But be sure that I will never stop the spreading of the truth.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

The is no need for taking more ridiculous comments from non Baha'is in open discussion.

It is better to not put my head forward to take more punishment at the moment. But be sure that I will never stop the spreading of the truth.

Its good to step back and reflect if you find there's too much friction and unpleasantness.

Truthseeker

Its good to step back and reflect if you find there's too much friction and unpleasantness.
I remember back when I was a host at Planet Baha'i, and I got really upset when "dissenting" Baha'is came in there, and I felt I needed to quit as host because I was so angry. Later I requested to Dale Lehman to take me back as host, and he graciously re-installed me as host. I am still good friends with Dale Lehman today though Planet Baha'i ended. It became very inactive so Dale Lehman terminated it.

Truthseeker

I watch Baha'i dir so I will be alerted to each new thread you start. I don't like to use OP. Someone told me once what OP meant, but with my rotten memory I forget what that means. In the forums I used to frequent, they always used the word thread.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes, I am tired of the aggressive atheists in discussion or debate who never actually listen to what is said.
And it is better to step away but not leave the forum.

The atheists may think they won, but that will never happen :)

I think RF rules should be more strict when it comes to bullying in discussion or debate:)