• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does marriage mean to you?

Meesheltx

Do you want what I think marriage is in todays society or do you want what I think marriage should be?

I think that marriage should be when two people make a decision to love eachother unconditionally. They must recognize that it will be hard work and there will most definitely come a time when outside help should be sought to ensure that it is a good working relationship and both partners are happy. If two people are willing to try, there is NOTHING that a couple can't get through. However, one of the worst things I see is when two people stay together solely for a child's sake and yet they stop trying to make things work between eacother. If there is no will to be together, no people should teach a child by example that a marriage does not require happiness.

I think i may have gone a little too deep with it...and I could have kept going and going and going. But I decided to stop :)

Draka

Wonder Woman
gtrsgrls said:
A unity between a husband and a wife which should never be broken.Ever!!!
I can think of a few reasons that unity SHOULD be broken.

Abuse

Literally trying to kill

Extreme bouts of anger that one refuses to acknowledge or resolve..."they are fine"

Refusal by one partner to move on past something horrible in the past and making the other feel guilty on a daily basis for trying to keep the past in the past and move on with their lives.

I am sure there are more reasons...but those are a few I am quite familiar with. Marriage is not an absolute for "ever", it is an ideal that we strive to reach, but sometimes come up short in. There is no shame in admitting a marriage did not workout. The shame is in not realizing it would be better off for all involved for it to end and sticking in a marriage that is potentially dangerous to one or more, or at the very least, extremely sad and depressing for them. Depression and angst leads to awful things. Sometimes it is better to be alone and mentally healthy and stable then married and miserable.

That said, I am not against marriage itself. Marriage can be a wonderful thing, providing those in it are healthy for each other. It does take work and love and compromise. The biggest problem is when one doesn't want to do those things. If they both do, then it can be very good.

Murf661

Marriage is meaning-less nowadays. Its something you do, for the fun of it. You intend to do it when you really love someone but it has lost the religous aspect of it...Which is good.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Well it is not about possession of another person. I believe marriage is simply the promise between two people to love, honor and cherish each other, always, through thick and thin, so to speak.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Marriage is when two people, a man and a woman, come together in holy matrimony, one of God's Graces, and this bond, this Grace, is to remain constant for eternity. Of course, that's the traditional Christian definition. I don't much like the word marriage anyway, so this is my definition:

Mairiste (Scottish Gaelic, and the word I would choose rather than "marriage" so as to appease those who want marriage to stay traditional):

Mairiste is when two or more people of any sex come together (it could start with two and grow, or start with a higher number, or stay at two) in love to more fully care for each other. There is a trial period, of one year and one day, after which they can choose to dissolve the mairiste or to continue with it. They can do this at any time, but the traditional year and one day is generally the shortest amount of time reccomended before dissolving a mairiste. There is no shame or dishonour in dissolving a mairiste.

I believe that covers it.

Kowalski

Meesheltx said:
Do you want what I think marriage is in todays society or do you want what I think marriage should be?

I think that marriage should be when two people make a decision to love eachother unconditionally. They must recognize that it will be hard work and there will most definitely come a time when outside help should be sought to ensure that it is a good working relationship and both partners are happy. If two people are willing to try, there is NOTHING that a couple can't get through. However, one of the worst things I see is when two people stay together solely for a child's sake and yet they stop trying to make things work between eacother. If there is no will to be together, no people should teach a child by example that a marriage does not require happiness.

I think i may have gone a little too deep with it...and I could have kept going and going and going. But I decided to stop :)
I believe that when you decide to get married, your in it together two as one and it should be forever,
it's about keeping the magic alive, no magic, no marrige. I know.

Cheers

K

Meesheltx

I was driving down I-45 today and I passed this place that I think is called something like Cherokee Christian Worship Park or something to that sort. Anyway, its a plac right off the highway that always has these signs up that say different religious things. Well, today I noticed that one of the signs said "Marriage is for having babies and satisfying eachother sexually." It went on to say "Do not let Satan tempt..." and then it had 3 more words that i just didn't get cuz i was driving too fast.

Are there any conservative Christian groups that actually believe that this is what marriage is all about???

Kowalski

I don't knoow any conseravtive Christian groups; however they seem to have left the word ' love' out of their equation....and magic. Where Satan comes in I don't know,unless they mean don't stray ?

Cheers
K