• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to be blessed?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
mostly harmless said:
I don't think God allows those things to exsist. I think they exist because WE allow them to.
I'm not sure whether you're a theist or not. If you are, do you think it is beyond God's capability to stop these things from existing? If He could stop them and doesn't, then He really is allowing them. Man's inhumanity to man is something that we allow. But we really don't have any control over where the next earthquake will strike.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Katzpur said:
I'm not sure whether you're a theist or not. If you are, do you think it is beyond God's capability to stop these things from existing? If He could stop them and doesn't, then He really is allowing them. Man's inhumanity to man is something that we allow. But we really don't have any control over where the next earthquake will strike.

It is not beyond God's capability to stop bad things from existing. I think God CHOOSES to let us experience the good and the bad, after all, how will you ever truly know something and grow if you have not EXPERIENCED it? It can be argued back and forth over whether God allows things. This is our world, we choose to come live here to experience things and grow, in the end-we go back where we came from. We may suffer much, but sometimes, in great suffering, you will find strengths you didn't even know you had. Why would God prevent you from learning that? Why would God prevent you from sharing your strengths with others? How would any of us truly grow if God were always making everything all better?

We may not have control over where the next earthquake will strike, but we can control how we react and deal with it.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Weeziana said:
But if I were to say that God is perfect but the world is not, and we are not, then how did someone perfect create such imperfection?

Maybe, it is perfect. Sometimes it is hard to see that for all the imperfect things that happen here.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
mostly harmless said:
It is not beyond God's capability to stop bad things from existing. I think God CHOOSES to let us experience the good and the bad, after all, how will you ever truly know something and grow if you have not EXPERIENCED it?
I guess I just misunderstood you when you said, "I don't think God allows those things to exist," because clearly he does allow it. Now that you've explained, I agree with pretty much everything you have said.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Weeziana, I'm wondering if it's just the word "blessed" that bugs you. Suppose the woman you mentioned had said she was "fortunate." Suppose she had said she was "lucky." Would either of these words have been less irritating to you?

may

now is the time to be spiritually healed, but to be physically healed is for a future time , Jesus is not healing people in a litral way at this point in time , but the physical healing of people will happen at a future time ,and then everyone will be healed not just some , but everyone who is on the earth at that time .
In the very near future, Jesus’ heavenly government will rule over a righteous new human society, in effect "a new earth." (2 Peter 3:13) What will conditions be like then? Here is a glorious foreglimpse: "I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the former heaven and the former earth had passed away . . . And [God] will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away."—Revelation 21:1, 4.​
Can you imagine what life will be like when the miraculous healing of mankind comes true? "No resident will say: ‘I am sick.’ The people that are dwelling in the land will be those pardoned for their error." Yes, God will accomplish what faith healers could never do. "He will actually swallow up death forever." Indeed, "the Sovereign Lord Jehovah will certainly wipe the tears from all faces."—Isaiah 25:8; 33:24.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
beckysoup61 said:
Personally, I see most everything as a blessing -- whether bad or good.

I tend to agree. The "Bad" often leads to areas that we would not have chosen to "Visit" - and there is learning in everything.................

bless O.E. bletsian, bledsian, Northumbrian bloedsian "to consecrate, make holy," from P.Gmc. *blothisojan "mark with blood," from *blotham "blood" (see blood). Originally a blood sprinkling on pagan altars. This word was chosen in O.E. bibles to translate L. benedicere and Gk. eulogein, both of which have a ground sense of "to speak well of, to praise," but were used in Scripture to translate Heb. brk "to bend (the knee), worship, praise, invoke blessings." Meaning shifted in late O.E. toward "to confer happiness, well-being," by resemblance to unrelated bliss. No cognates in other languages. Blessing is O.E. bledsung. I believe "a Blessing" (used colloquially) usually means something good that has happened to us (Often regarded by Religious people as "coming from God") - personally, I am not sure that God has a hand in our every move....