• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does God look like?

Sonic247

Well okay it's not exactly the same as ice water and steam, that was just about one substance having three forms. Jesus said I am in the father and the father in me, well just draw a circle that represent God and Jesus is in the middle, we can see him but he is part of the whole circle around him, but we could only see his body, when he died his father turned his face away, but then the spirit came back and raised him up again.

uumckk16

If I have a quart of water and freeze it, it becomes ice. If I boil it, it becomes steam. If it is steam or ice, it is not water. I can only have one of these things, in their entirety, at once. When God's spirit "took on flesh," as you say was the case, did He cease to exist as a spirit without flesh? When Jesus was a baby, who was in charge? When Jesus died (before He was resurrected), was the world without God for three days? Simple as that? Sorry, I must be really dense, but I don't see the Trinity as simple at all. I'd be the first to admit that no analogy is perfect, but this one fails on pretty much every account. I've heard the three-leaf clover one, too, by the way. One leaf of a clover isn't the whole clover, whereas the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are all fully God.

Oh, jeez, I get to be the super dorky one :eek: Actually, that's not entirely accurate. At water's triple point, they can all exist at the same time... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_point

That's why I've always thought the ice-water-steam analogy was actually remarkably accurate to the "typical" Christian view of the Trinity.

As for the OP...I don't view God as physical.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Oh, jeez, I get to be the super dorky one :eek: Actually, that's not entirely accurate. At water's triple point, they can all exist at the same time... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_point
Well, you learn something new every day, or at least you're given that opportunity. Thanks for the link. It was interesting.

That's why I've always thought the ice-water-steam analogy was actually remarkably accurate to the "typical" Christian view of the Trinity.
Perhaps.

As for the OP...I don't view God as physical.
I know. I don't think anybody except for the Latter-day Saints does.

Sonic247

I think he is talking about pagan gods. There is only one true god though. When the Antichrist comes he will make an image that has power to speak and to kill people that don't worship it, his prophet will have power to call down fire from heaven. The majicians of Egypt could copy some of God's plagues with there own enchantments, but there is only one God that made everthing that doesn't have a beginning or end.

Haydaman

Monkey In A Suit
Exactly? I don't know exactly what He looks like, but the Bible says that we are created in His image, so I suspect He looks like a human being. It also says that Jesus Christ was "in the express image of His person," so I would imagine that those who knew Jesus during His mortal life could have given you a more detailed description than anyone living today could.

If god created us in his own image why is he white? Is god racist or something? How can you prove that races came about without proving that evolution existed, and if you're religious and you believe in evolution then you're contradicting yourself.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I suppose you're counting the Virgin Mary. But it appears you missed the Holy Ghost. What are you going to do with Him?
Sonic was right, I am refering to Pagan gods. Hekate, Morrigan, Thor, and Anubis.

Dream Angel

If god created us in his own image why is he white? Is god racist or something? How can you prove that races came about without proving that evolution existed, and if you're religious and you believe in evolution then you're contradicting yourself.

Its not contradicting yourself to be religious and accept evolution. Evolution doesnt explain how things were created but how they progressed, but creation and evolution together and you have how the world was created and how it progressed!

Haydaman

Monkey In A Suit
E=MC2 is how the world was created, with energy. If you are to say god created existence, he had to have been created...and so on and so forth rendering it a never ending cycle, god cannot to just appear out of nothingness.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
E=MC2 is how the world was created, with energy. If you are to say god created existence, he had to have been created...and so on and so forth rendering it a never ending cycle,

And that would be illogical?

god cannot to just appear out of nothingness.

Unless It had always existed.

In fact, if we take God to be only a symbol constructed by the conscious mind, then that symbol surely does exist eternally.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If god created us in his own image why is he white?
Did I say He was white?

Is god racist or something?
Yes, God is "something."

How can you prove that races came about without proving that evolution existed, and if you're religious and you believe in evolution then you're contradicting yourself.
Thank you so much, Haydaman, for your input. I had no idea what I believed until you were so kind as to tell me.

Haydaman

Monkey In A Suit
And that would be illogical?

Unless It had always existed.

In fact, if we take God to be only a symbol constructed by the conscious mind, then that symbol surely does exist eternally.

The part about creating him in your consientious mind is what I've been trying to say, that's all he is..in your mind.

And Kazpur, did you say he was white? No...but you're a christian aren't you? The center pannels of the Sistine chapel show God as so...do you disagree with your own religion?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Yes...As a religion why would you dictate him in one way, then change him as the years pass to conform with society?

Well, religion changes with culture, and culture evolves. Spirituality could be seen as an evolutionary process. With our expanding knowledge of the Universe we exist in, so must the meaning we attribute to it expand.