• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does "God is a Trinity, a single eternal being existing in three persons" mean?

theMINI

"God is a Trinity, a single eternal being existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit."

What does that mean?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
It means as it's stated...:) (no offense, meant)

God is ONE God who exists in three persons...Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

God the Father. God the Son and God the Holy Spirit...all persons of the very SAME, SINGULAR GOD.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
theMINI said:
But I don't get it.

What father, what son and what holy spirit? What is a holy spirit anyway?

God is Father...Almighty father to us all...and Father of Christ...

God is also the Son...Christ Jesus...God in the Flesh...who came to earth to show us how to live for him and to commune with him as parent and child and then he died for us...to show us that by accepting his precious sacrifice we could LIVE with him.

Holy Spirit - The very Spirit of God Almighty...referred to in the scriptures as the Helper and the Comforter. Before Christ's death...he promised us that we would receive the Holy Spirit when accepted Him as our saviour. The Holy Spirit is God living within each believer.

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
trinity.jpg

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
The fact that Person is a relatively poor translation for the Greek Hypostasis is probably part of your problem. Initially, Hypostasis meant substance (in fact, that's how it literally translates). Obviously, however, this is not how it is used in reference to the Trinity. What we have is the Fathers using one Greek word Ousion, usually translated Essence to describe that which makes God, God. It is the essence of His Divinity which all three Hypostases share. This is probably not too difficult to understand. The word Hypostasis had an almost identical meaning in Greek originally but the Fathers used this to refer to the essence, or substance, of a person - that which makes us a unique individual. It is this idea that is translated as Person in the English but it does not contain the idea (as person does) of a unique, individual being. Therefore, although we are used to the idea of one being (a person), having one essence (human) and one hypostasis (that which makes them unique), we think of God being one being, with one Essence (Divine), and three Hypostases (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). These Hypostases are neither separate individuals (so not Persons in the way the English might imply) nor are they different modes adopted by God. God is, simply put, just wholly other than His creations and whilst the concept is quite difficult to understand there is no need to delve too deeply into it. It is often better just to leave such things as a Mystery. That would be the Orthodox perspective, at least.

James

Jerrell

The Trinity goes deep and is hard to understand for many. Let me put it in SImple Terms.

The Word God is just a title or name for a Greater being. God is outside our realm, he is not like unto us, but we are like unto him. Just as we have a body soul and mind, likeso he has a body(Jesus) Soul(Holy Spirit) and Mind(The Father, called God).

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I found it very hard to understand.

The best way I found was to think of my own role in the family. I am a father, a husband, and I am me. In other words, the same person, "wearing three hats".

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
michel said:
I found it very hard to understand.

The best way I found was to think of my own role in the family. I am a father, a husband, and I am me. In other words, the same person, "wearing three hats".

Ah, but you see, Michel, that's a good analogy for modalism (Sabellianism) but not for orthodox (small o deliberate in this instance) Triadology. I'm not saying that your beliefs are modalist (you've never suggested as much to me) but rather that your analogy is not, strictly speaking, Trinitarian.

James

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
theMINI said:
But I don't believe Jesus was God... Does that make me not Christian?
Well, I don't believe He was God, either -- if by "God" you are referring to God the Father. I do, however, believe that, as the Son of God, He was divine. After all, He had the ability to raise himself after having been dead for three days. None of us could have done that; we would be at the Father's mercy in that regard. But because He was able to conquer death on His own, I believe that would make Him God in his own right. I believe the Father and the Son are physcially distinct from each other, and I can tell you for sure that I am a Christian.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Trinity is not just a Christian Concept. God, Christ and the Holy Spirit or the Trinity of God is a living reality. All religions and Spiritual Paths in truth lead to God, Christ and Holy Spirit realization! This is what Buddha, Mohammed, Lao Tse, Krishna, Moses, Abraham, Rama, Confucius, Zoroaster and all the Ascended Masters are all striving for on a Cosmic Level as well! God, Christ and the Holy Spirit work through all religions and all Spiritual Paths, so they don’t care which one you choose! They are all lenses in the Full Spectrum Prism consciousness of God, Christ and the Holy Spirit!

When I use the term “Christ” I am not using it in a “Christian” sense, and it has nothing to do singularly with the teachings of Jesus. The term Christ is referencing the second aspect of the Trinity. God is a Trinity. Even Hinduism realizes that, for they call God, Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. The Kahunas of Hawaii call God, Ku, Kane and Kanola! The Egyptians called God Isis/Osirus/Horus. So when I use the term Christ I am using it as the inner plane Ascended Masters use the term, not how people on Earth use the term.

This is what I mean when I say that God, who is a Trinity, sees life from a full spectrum prism consciousness perspective. It does not matter what spiritual path you choose for all of them lead to the Christ. The Christ in terms of a definition is the "perfected blueprint for the perfect Son and Daughter of God”.

To put it in the simplest terms possible, the Trinity is father/mother/child. This is God, this is the pattern of God's creative energy. This is the basic building blocks of God's Love.

excerpts from I Am Universtity.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
theMINI said:
"God is a Trinity, a single eternal being existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit."

What does that mean?
Sounds like a spiritual menage a trois to me. :rolleyes: