• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Does Being Jewish Mean?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes, dislike and suspicion of Jews is on the rise in the West lately. It doesn't help that Jews have a wildly disproportionate amount of power and influence over Western society, especially in the US. You can go years without ever meeting a Jew in many parts of the US (they're like 1% of the population and concentrated in major cities), but they're all over our media, in academia, the entertainment industry, finance and politics. Our government is very beholden to Zionist interests, as well. It's not PC to state those things, but facts are facts. People notice this stuff and some react with resentment.

If not Jews, someone would be in these positions of power. Does it matter if they happen to be a Jew?
I'm sure everyone has their interest/agenda. Jewish interests, whatever they are, I don't see them particularly as a problem for me. they may be for others.

Yes, currently I work under several people who happen to be Jews. Nothing seems different to me from working under people who aren't Jews.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If not Jews, someone would be in these positions of power. Does it matter if they happen to be a Jew?
I'm sure everyone has their interest/agenda. Jewish interests, whatever they are, I don't see them particularly as a problem for me. they may be for others.

Yes, currently I work under several people who happen to be Jews. Nothing seems different to me from working under people who aren't Jews.
Well, I was just answering your question as to what fuels anti-Semitism. Sure, there's still some Christian anti-Semites but that's not what's driving most of it these days. (Most Christians these days have apparently gone to the other extreme of Judeophilia.) Many people who don't like Jews aren't Christian at all.

@Rival and I actually had a discussion recently about anti-Semitism in Germany. Germany seems to have been the most anti-Semitic country in Europe for centuries and we discussing why that might be. We came to the conclusion that it may be a populist reaction to Jewish people having more wealth than the common person as "dirty rich Jews" seems to be a common trope in German anti-Semitism and the Nazis played on it very successfully. Pogroms are usually carried out by working class people. So that's one way of looking at it.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Maybe yes maybe no but, the definition of Antisemitism has become so watered down that anything said, even if true, can now be defined as antisemitism even when it is not.
The most common definition of anti-semitism is that put for by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA). There are over 30 nations that support the IHRA.

“Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities.”

Earthtank

The most common definition of anti-semitism is that put for by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA). There are over 30 nations that support the IHRA.

“Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities.”

How it's defined versus how its used and very often weaponized are 2 different things. Also, looking at the list of members of the IHRA, you'd notice a LOT of them are bunch of hypocrites that are only in it for their own benefit, starting with Israel. 1 more thing, the fact that “Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews" is another example of how this is used and weaponized. The largest population of Semites are actually Arabs not Jews (look it up) but, anytime an Arab says anything about Jews, even when its true, its classified as antisemitic. The irony would be funny if not the fact that it's so sad and sadistic. True antisemitism is what the Israelis are doing to the Palestinians by dropping bombs on innocent civilians homes and hospitals. The war between the Israeli army and Hamas is a completely different issue entirely and not what i am referring to. As i said, my concern here are the Innocent people they have purposeful targeted and continue to do so.

rosends

How it's defined versus how its used and very often weaponized are 2 different things. Also, looking at the list of members of the IHRA, you'd notice a LOT of them are bunch of hypocrites that are only in it for their own benefit, starting with Israel. 1 more thing, the fact that “Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews" is another example of how this is used and weaponized. The largest population of Semites are actually Arabs not Jews (look it up) but, anytime an Arab says anything about Jews, even when its true, its classified as antisemitic. The irony would be funny if not the fact that it's so sad and sadistic. True antisemitism is what the Israelis are doing to the Palestinians by dropping bombs on innocent civilians homes and hospitals. The war between the Israeli army and Hamas is a completely different issue entirely and not what i am referring to. As i said, my concern here are the Innocent people they have purposeful targeted and continue to do so.
I won't discuss the politics you invoke but just point out that the term "antisemitism" has its etymology, coinage and development related to "anti-Judaism" so it would be improper to coopt it and try to apply it to sentiment against other groups that are considered of semitic origin.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
How it's defined versus how its used and very often weaponized are 2 different things. Also, looking at the list of members of the IHRA, you'd notice a LOT of them are bunch of hypocrites that are only in it for their own benefit, starting with Israel.
It is a big mistake to think that it is only about Israel. However, one component of antisemitism is the extremist view of anti-zionism, especially the view that Israel doesn't exist or shouldn't exit.

The largest population of Semites are actually Arabs not Jews
Irrelevant, as the term anti-semitism refers solely to Jews.
True antisemitism [sic] is what the Israelis are doing to the Palestinians by dropping bombs on innocent civilians homes and hospitals.
I'm not saying that there isn't some racism of some Israelis against Palestinians, but the world needs to understand that Hamas deliberately uses hospitals and schools as buildings in which to manufacture and house their weaponry -- IOW they use civilians, even children, as human shields. Therefore it is Hamas that is to blame for the collateral damage of Israeli bombs.