• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does 1 Corinthians 13:5 "become provoked" mean please?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
JWs say their interpretation is different than all the others. At 1 Corinthians 13:5 it is not different and I believe it should be.

There is a world of difference between provoking and being provoked. I believe YHVH can be provoked and I know Jesus can be provoked. So I am sure it means love does not provoke. I realize I am provoking you by my contention, but I was not contention in the organization. And now I am on a debate forum where provocation is the rule, but done nicely. I'm trying.

When the Bible Students got together to study the scriptures they found grave errors in the people's believing about God and God's will. What did they do? They marched outside churches with signs that read "Religion is a snare and a racket". That is provocative. You may draw your own conclusion.

We are in trying times. The love of the greater number will cool off. Sometimes it is necessary to choose truth over love. It is when people are believing error that love cannot be first.

Do you believe "love does not become provoked" is true about yourself or is it about provoking the other one?

We can provoke for fun, can't we? It is a battle within. Love will never be provocative just for the fun of it. That is what that scipture means imo.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is the question:

What does provoke at 1 Corinthians 13:5 mean to you?

These are some to choose from:

Not easily provoked. King James
Not irritable. New Living
Not easily angered. New International Version
Never...or ever gets annoyed. International Standard Version
is not provoked to anger. Douay-Rheims Bible
nor blaze out in passionate anger. Weymouth New Testament

This is the word translated as such (above) paroxynetai trnasliterated from the Greek παροξύνεται

I think not easily angered and does not blaze out in passionate anger are right IF it is talking about the person's OWN feelings.

I am sure real love does not exist to provoke another. That is what I think it means for real. My husband says maybe it means both. It might.

What do you think it means? Is it talking about self control or is it talking about good manners? Or both? I do not know if one word can mean two different things that are sort of opposite.

Do you understand the question?

It is possible for me to be angered by another AND it is possible for me to cause anger in another.

I think it means love does not cause anger in another (person). You know, on purpose or for the sake of conflict.

Sometimes experience shows that what you are doing is causing anger. Love would stop what love is doing if it is causing anger , according to 1 Corinthians 13:5, if that is what it means. I think it is what it means.

What do you think it means?

Will you stay with tradition, or your custom, or will you consider it?

Do not leave off gathering together as some have the custom.....

OK. Nobody wants to gather with anyone who makes her angry. And getting angry or irritable has nothing to do with a lack of love. But that is what it says.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Revelation 6:16,17
And they keep saying to the mountains and to the rock-masses: “Fall over us and hide us from the face of the One seated on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb, because the great day of their wrath has come, and who is able to stand?”

So God gets angry.

12 Kiss the son,* that He may not become incensed
And YOU may not perish [from] the way,*
For his anger flares up easily.*
Happy are all those taking refuge in him.

Jesus get angry.

But 1 Corinthians 13:5 says we should not get angry. Why?

provoke defined: 1. to anger, enrage, exasperate, or vex. 2. to stir up, arouse, or call forth (feelings, desires, or activity):

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What does does not become provoked mean please? or
What does become provoked mean?

Does it mean you must not let someone provoke you? Or does it mean you must not attempt to cause a provoking in another?

Or does it mean leave provoke alone, like my husband say it means both?

kjw47

JWs say their interpretation is different than all the others. At 1 Corinthians 13:5 it is not different and I believe it should be.

There is a world of difference between provoking and being provoked. I believe YHVH can be provoked and I know Jesus can be provoked. So I am sure it means love does not provoke. I realize I am provoking you by my contention, but I was not contention in the organization. And now I am on a debate forum where provocation is the rule, but done nicely. I'm trying.

When the Bible Students got together to study the scriptures they found grave errors in the people's believing about God and God's will. What did they do? They marched outside churches with signs that read "Religion is a snare and a racket". That is provocative. You may draw your own conclusion.

We are in trying times. The love of the greater number will cool off. Sometimes it is necessary to choose truth over love. It is when people are believing error that love cannot be first.

Do you believe "love does not become provoked" is true about yourself or is it about provoking the other one?

We can provoke for fun, can't we? It is a battle within. Love will never be provocative just for the fun of it. That is what that scipture means imo.

Perfect love cannot be provoked. We haven't experienced that inside of ourselves yet. Maybe never will.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perfect love cannot be provoked. We haven't experienced that inside of ourselves yet. Maybe never will.

Is God's love perfect? Can God not be provoked? Why then do you trust God will destroy the wicked? Didn't the Israelite nation provoke Jehovah in the wilderness? When Jesus drove out the money changers, how was that not due to his becoming provoked?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
kjw47 please learn what "all scripture" means. (all scripture is inspired of God...that the man of God may be fully competent - 2 Timothy 3:16,17) Look up the Greek root word for "all" it means whole. THE WHOLE THING. What it means is once you are able to see the WHOLE thing you will not be teaching anything that is contrary.

God is love. TRUE

God does get angry. I think that is true.

So "perfect love can not be provoked" can not be true.

kjw47

kjw47 please learn what "all scripture" means. (all scripture is inspired of God...that the man of God may be fully competent - 2 Timothy 3:16,17) Look up the Greek root word for "all" it means whole. THE WHOLE THING. What it means is once you are able to see the WHOLE thing you will not be teaching anything that is contrary.

God is love. TRUE

God does get angry. I think that is true.

So "perfect love can not be provoked" can not be true.

In mortal thinking and seeing you are right, but according to Gods word you are wrong.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In mortal thinking and seeing you are right, but according to Gods word you are wrong.

From the Novel 1984 by George Orwell

.... 'Newspeak' is the language created by the government [governing body] in the novel that was designed to eventually restrict people's ability to formulate treasonous [apostate] ideas. Newspeak intentionally made it very difficult to state complex ideas. One example of a word in Newspeak is 'doublethink'. Doublethink is the ability to believe two contradictory things at the same time....

Doublespeak in the novel 1984 by George Orwell?????!?!?!?!? - Yahoo! Answers

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I asked my daughter just now what she thinks it means to become provoked. She is no theologian, is not religious, doesn't even read the Bible but she had an answer better than any commentary I ever saw. How????? It just proves to me that the people who think they know don't know and the people who don't think they have to know, know.

She said it is the feeling people have that even when they are provoked they don't go provoking back. Bingo!

The Bibles that say it means love does not get angry, irritable, provoked et cetera are wrong. How can they all be wrong? Does it matter?

Of course it does. How can the Bible be trusted if it doesn't matter what it really says?

To believe it means that love does not become provoked, means that the natural feelings of irritation must be denied. When you deny something that is real, what is it called? Is it lying?

To believe it means that love does not provoke means kindness, patience and peace.

To believe it means that love does not become provoked teaches you to avoid a necessary meeting if that meeting might cause an uneasy feeling.

To believe it means that love does not provoke teaches you to be able to meet for peaceful resolution.

I told her I am only talking to myself on forum. She says (I'm paraphrasing) "well, DAH". "Write a book mom. People who read books are different than people who post on forums."

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have seen people provoking others on purpose. It is what people do when they want to "get a rise" out of someone. To be provoked always requires a response. The wise response is to ignore it. The most childest response is to cry. But every time I have seen it I was sure it was not an instance of showing love.

The way most Bibles have portrayed it it means love does not respond to negative stimuli. But it is what Jehovah did when Jehovah sent his son. The negative stimlulus was sin. Jesus was sent to save us from sin. Jehovah was responding to the negative stimulus SIN. So Jehovah did what You say love doesn't do.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
These are the commands of God which are clear. 1. You must love and 2. You must be holy

But the Bible also says "love does not become provoked". But everyone, even God's own son, becomes provoked. So according to The History of The World, which carries the Bible hither and thither, it is impossible to love, because everywhere it is saying "love does not become provoked".

OH, we do not take the words of it SERIOUSLY. It is only for making US look good says the people, but not out loud. And....

.....If indeed we took the words of it seriously, then we would have to fix the wrongs and we don't want to say the people who can.

And then people keep saying about me that I am bitter. I think that according to heaven which sees things exactly as they are it is YOU who are bitter. You who will not listen.

And why won't they listen? They are afraid to change the Bible. AFRAID. Afraid of who? Who are they afraid of?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe the thread can be moved to a different section as I am not supposed to be here. But since no one wants to talk about it, I suppose it does not matter.