• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do?

Ormiston

beckysoup61 said:
What do you do when you don't have money? When you aren't going to make rent or bills that month? How do you deal with it?

I used to drink a lot, but that didn't work. I think the correct thing to do is call of the people you owe money to and explain your situation. Then give them a firm timeline that you can reasonably keep. Continue communicating regularly and honestly until you're back on track. You must still spend whatever money you have coming in on necessities first, just like before. And, you have to be willing to ask for help from friends and family. The most important thing to do is keep your head on though. Financial troubles have accounted for some of the worst events in my life.

Abram

Abraham
Revasser said:
I don't answer my phone or front door!
:biglaugh:

I don't do anything. If your broke then your broke. Bills won't get paid, oh well. It will over time get better and I'll get back on top of things. It always does! No need to worry or stress. You won't die of lack of money.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Abram said:
:biglaugh:

I don't do anything. If your broke then your broke. Bills won't get paid, oh well. It will over time get better and I'll get back on top of things. It always does! No need to worry or stress. You won't die of lack of money.

I could say I could. I'm choosing between rent and food. Rent and gas to get to work to earn more money. Literally, I do not even have enough money in my bank account to pay rent. You think this is funny?

Abram

Abraham
beckysoup61 said:
I could say I could. I'm choosing between rent and food. Rent and gas to get to work to earn more money. Literally, I do not even have enough money in my bank account to pay rent. You think this is funny?
No I don't think thats funny. I thought revasser is funny!
You have it out for me today? You must be stressed about something, oh it must be money. We all have been broke and been hard up for cash money. I lived in a storage unit for a while because I was so broke. It gets beter.
What I do is put all my faith in God and belive he will free me from this burden and it's happening to test my faith. God will provide, you will eat and rent will get payed. Maybe late, but it will get payed. It may even end up to be a last second thing. He will provide for you. I'm sorry that your going through some money problems, it sucks and feels as if there is no end to it.

Draka

Wonder Woman
beckysoup61 said:

Hun I understand. My paycheck for a whole of 2 weeks worth was only $222. I have a $100 electric bill, rent of $335, and car insurance of $47, other bills coming up and no money for groceries. I live in a little one bedroom apartment that I could barely fit any baby stuff in if I had any baby stuff. Turk has no income at this moment and is suppose to start a job soon, but when is debatable and even then who knows when a paycheck will come and how much it will be. I pay my electric and car insurance first and foremost...can't lose them. I talk to my landlord who is a pretty reasonable guy who is happy to make arrangements in payments broken up through the month. If you have been renting from the same person for a while and are otherwise reliable your landlord should be understanding and work with you. As for food...luckily I get tips some nights at work and I use this little by little to get what I need from day to day until I can afford a big shopping trip. If it comes down to surviving off mac and cheese and baked potatoes then that's what I do. Scrimp by when need be.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Be sure to visit your local food banks, and see if there are any local assistance programs. (Depending on one's need, one can get Food Stamps very quickly.) If there are any wild places nearby, and they are in season, try to find (non poisonous, obviously) berries and other goodies. A nice thing is that, even if the phone service cuts you off, they usually still leave the line to 911 open, so cancel that if you can't make ends meet. Also, depending on where you live, you may be able to do without heat or electricity for awhile. It helps if you view it as camping!

I really wish I could help you right now, but at least know what others have said. There is no shame in asking for help.

evearael

I agree wholeheartedly that you need to be upfront with your landlord and all other companies. Landlords are much more likely to be flexible with you if you are honest with them. Paying a portion of it in good faith also helps, even if it is only $100.

That said, hang in there, buckle down, call in any favors you can to buy a case of ramen noodles. Flavor it with ketchup packets with McDonalds if you need to... Shop for food that is half price because it is about to go out of date and eat it immeadiately. Stroll major grocery stores or the food court for free samples of their food.

Walk everywhere you can to conserve gas. Cut back your phone service. Cut off the internet (sorry!). Cut off the cable. Cut off all lights and appliances when not in use. Take quicker showers. Food is more important! You need to maintain your job to pull yourself out of this hole, so gas is a priority. Hang in there! We are all rooting for you. Trust in yourself, you will pull through.

robtex

Veteran Member
beckysoup61 said:
What do you do when you don't have money? When you aren't going to make rent or bills that month? How do you deal with it?

Hang in there sweetie. Construct a flow chart with your husband of bills and income. Treat each seperate. Starting with income:

Assess your jobs and if you each work one see if one or more of you can have a second job. Once this is done, as a LDS you have quite a network to work from. Go to your church and network with others in the church to find a job. I am confident you would do the same for them if the positions was reversed. You are not asking for a handout. More aptly put you are networking with those in your community.

Than go the expenses. LIke Draka said priortize them by need and negociablity. Than see which ones over time you can minimize base on priority. For instance if you have cable, safe to say that bill should go.

The important thing is for you and your husband to work as a team and to have everything on the table. Meaning written down. I hope the best for you Becky. If you plan and be strategic it will work out for.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Thanks everyone. Just to let you know,

*Internet is free at my apartments. :)
*We are cancelling our phone bill(we are having problems with company, plus we have cellphones which cost less then our phone bill)
*I called my mum and dad and they are helping us out
*I'm having my husband call his parents
*Banks aren't open until Monday(do they can't deposit the check)
*Husband is getting paid on Wednesday and Friday(he works two jobs)
*I'm trying to find a job, going in to fill a couple of applications this week

Ormiston

robtex said:
The important thing is for you and your husband to work as a team and to have everything on the table. Meaning written down. I hope the best for you Becky. If you plan and be strategic it will work out for.

Crucial.

FFH

Veteran Member
The advise given in this thread is incredible. I am very impressed. So many wise responses.

robtex

Veteran Member
PHP:
beckysoup61 said:
I'm sure that would go over well. :faint:

As a footnote, the Ayran Nations is headquatered out of Idaho if I remember correctly. I am guessing many of them have felony warrents they have skipped on by now.

Bishka

Veteran Member
robtex said:
As a footnote, the Ayran Nations is headquatered out of Idaho if I remember correctly. I am guessing many of them have felony warrents they have skipped on by now.

I knew that. :) Strange enough, I believe it is located in Couer D'Lane, Idaho, up North. WAYYYY up north.

Bishka

Veteran Member
YmirGF said:
I think a real valuable thing Becky, is not to give up hope. You can pull through this and you WILL pull through this. I can't stress enough, just how important it is to keep a positive outlook. And yes, go to your church, if need be. I am sure many there love you and would knock themselves out to help you both. I know, you would do the same for them. Buck up, sweetheart, the best is yet to come.

Thank you. Thank you so much everyone. You all have helped, I really do appreciate everything you do for me.