• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you call it when?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Sensitive question

Is there a technical or medical term for hand and arm gestures such as moving one's hands in front of face during conversations etc?

I cant find a youtube video to show an example. I see it when I notice someone in a wheel chair with (assume) developmental disability. He may have his head turned to the side and arms moving in front of him in an aqward way. I dont know how to explain it. Not something you would ask.

I was talking to my friend who mentioned I have something similar. My doctor said it wasnt psychological (I see him for seizures) and therapy wouldnt help unless Im distressed over it. I read up on epilepsy post-surgery related behaviors with people with epilepsy. Literally 90% of the personality traits I have. Its so weird, I laughed.

Its affecting my social life and probably employment too. Hard to meet people and make new friends unless they have patience to get to know me beyond the exteral stuff.

Is there a medical term for those types of behaviors maybe associated with developmental disability, maybe multiple sclerosis (I knew a friend who has it), or?

Daemon Sophic

Sensitive question

Is there a technical or medical term for hand and arm gestures such as moving one's hands in front of face during conversations etc?

I cant find a youtube video to show an example. I see it when I notice someone in a wheel chair with (assume) developmental disability. He may have his head turned to the side and arms moving in front of him in an aqward way. I dont know how to explain it. Not something you would ask.

I was talking to my friend who mentioned I have something similar. My doctor said it wasnt psychological (I see him for seizures) and therapy wouldnt help unless Im distressed over it. I read up on epilepsy post-surgery related behaviors with people with epilepsy. Literally 90% of the personality traits I have. Its so weird, I laughed.

Its affecting my social life and probably employment too. Hard to meet people and make new friends unless they have patience to get to know me beyond the exteral stuff.

Is there a medical term for those types of behaviors maybe associated with developmental disability, maybe multiple sclerosis (I knew a friend who has it), or?
What your describing sounds a little like chorea. or choreiform movements. When involving the extremities, the term athetosis might be used.
The list of possible causes is rather long, and this stuff is not my area of expertise by a long-shot. A neurologist would be able to better answer your concerns.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What your describing sounds a little like chorea. or choreiform movements. When involving the extremities, the term athetosis might be used.
The list of possible causes is rather long, and this stuff is not my area of expertise by a long-shot. A neurologist would be able to better answer your concerns.

Yes. I see a neurologist for seizures. He couldnt name the above because I dont have any conditions to which those gestures would be marked symptoms of. Rather, the behavorial and personality part are due to seizures and post surgery. Im wondering if they have a specific name to them or just a behavioral trait as a reuslt of different conditions.