• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Church Callings Were Your Favorites?

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Here's another 'Get-to-know-you' thread.

What callings* have you had that were your favorites? (I know we should love them all and if that's true for you, then you're a better person than I am.)

My favorite callings involve teaching, preferably adults, though I did enjoy teaching 12 yr. olds. Right now I teach Gospel Doctrine and have never loved anything more than this. It makes me study like I've never done before and the challenge is so stimulating and rewarding.
My other favorite calling was being Primary** chorister.
My NON-favorites are anything that involves planning activities/socials, though I do enjoy attending them.

*For our non-LDS friends, a calling is a job within the church.
**Children's (age 3-11) organization

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What callings* have you had that were your favorites? (I know we should love them all and if that's true for you, then you're a better person than I am.)
Well, I don't love them all and I wouldn't even pretend to! My Bishopric actually knows better than to ask me to teach Primary. :D

I love teaching adults, too. I really enjoyed teaching Relief Society and did that for years. I also enjoyed my last calling, which was teaching Gospel Principles. Since that's a course designed for investigators and new members, we never had a big group. To me, teaching that class and having maybe a dozen regular attendees would be the world's best calling.

My NON-favorites are anything that involves planning activities/socials, though I do enjoy attending them.
I'd be pretty bummed out about getting that kind of a calling, too. I've never had a calling like that, actually, but as long as I wasn't the one in charge, I could probably handle it. I'm just really not much of a leader when it comes to that sort of thing. As I already alluded to, "I don't do Primary." :no: I just do not relate to children. I don't know how to prepare age-appropriate lessons or activities and I just feel like a fish out of water. I actually did teach the 6-year olds when my daughter was that age. After a few months in the calling, I asked to be released. I just couldn't deal with it. Then my daughter told me that her best friend had told all of the other kids in the class that "Brooke's mom got fired!" :rolleyes: Much the same thing happened when they put me in the nursery. After a few months, I jokingly told a member of the Bishopric that I had a tithing check ready to give him as soon as he released me from the calling! :angel2: As I recall, I got a new calling a couple of weeks later. (I guess you might call me outspoken. :eek: )

Katya

I think my favourite calling was the pianist in Primary. Then it became my least favourite. I've been in and out of primary for 11 years now. I love it at first, then I find it really tedious. I'm not really learning anything. I also liked playing the organ in sacrament. It made me go to church. :D

I think they keep putting me in Primary cos I'm just a big kid myself. haven't quite grown up yet. :angel2:

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Teaching the 4-5 year olds in Primary will always be my favorite calling, thus far. Such cute, innocent children (once in a while drove me crazy) that I spend time with for a few hours, then hand them back to their parents!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Zippy, would you mind being a little bit more specific about where in Utah you live?

nutshell

Favorite
I'm currently the Elders Q instructor and I do my best to instill some rebeliousness in the men. We have SO much more fun than Grandma Time (aka Relief Society).

Another favorite - my wife was a primary teacher and this was very new to her (she's a convert). I attended most of her classes and helped out when I could. Usually, I would do a short part on the black letter law from the lesson and she would use the rest of the time to do fun activities. Our best lesson was about Ruth and Naomi. Basically, we came in as excited as possible and told the girls in the class that we FINALLY were going to talk about some great women. It was a very girl-focused lesson and they loved it.

Least Favorite
My wife and I tag-teamed the nursery for a year.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Nursery.

They are innocent (in a matter-of-speaking) and they do not assume to call you to repentence or tell you that you aren't "trying" hard enough.

Love the children, always have.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Nursery.

They are innocent (in a matter-of-speaking) and they do not assume to call you to repentence or tell you that you aren't "trying" hard enough.

Love the children, always have.
You know what, Becky? With this attitude, you are always going to be the most popular person in your ward. "Nursery? Uh... Becky wants it!!!!"

Bishka

Veteran Member
You know what, Becky? With this attitude, you are always going to be the most popular person in your ward. "Nursery? Uh... Becky wants it!!!!"

Most likely. :)

I prefer little kid over adults most of the time, but every so often I need a deep discussion in Gospel Doctrine and then I can go back to la-la land. :cool:

Starfish

Please no sarcasm

Gotta admit I agree. I'd rather speak in Sac. Mtg. every month, than work in the nursery and am sooooo glad there are those who like it. But the kids are adorable, no doubt about it.

nutshell

I was there for a year. The kids weren't adorable. Their parents didn't feed them and they smelled like crap.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Sometimes it's just perspective. After being Primary pres., nursery would have looked really good. I've also seen people go into it very reluctantly, do an attitude adjustment, and make it into something great. They brought in structure and purpose. I REALLY admired them for that.

Other most-favorite, rather than least-favorite callings out there?

nutshell

Sometimes it's just perspective. After being Primary pres., nursery would have looked really good. I've also seen people go into it very reluctantly, do an attitude adjustment, and make it into something great. They brought in structure and purpose. I REALLY admired them for that.

Other most-favorite, rather than least-favorite callings out there?

The nursery functioned well when we were there and we are missed now. Attitude adjustment pending.