• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are Your Thoughts on Dave Chappelle?

pearl

I personally think he's a good comedian who has significantly polluted his comedy with thoughtless and irresponsible material. Sometimes there's a fine line between funny, insightful bluntness and dismissive, harmful tastelessness, and I think some of Chappelle's material falls within the latter category.

I am not familiar with Chappelle but found this to be interesting:
It’s clearly intended as a sort of toss-off joke to close things out. But according to Chappelle, Dornan didn’t laugh. “Now she looks at me like I’m not her friend anymore,” he describes. “She looks at me like I’m something bigger than me, like I’m the whole [expletive] world in a guy. And she says, ‘I don’t need you to understand me. I just need you to believe that I’m having a human experience.’”
Chappelle respects her for being so direct. “I believe you,” he responds to her, “because it takes one to know one.” And herein lies the core to his understanding of empathy, the idea that people should be allowed to speak their truth, even if it is confronting or ignorant, and that in such honest conversation both parties discover their common humanity.

Dave Chappelle’s ‘The Closer’: Empathy, Humility and the Lack Thereof | America Magazine

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
"The guy making the insensitive joke was actually the only one with true empathy" sure is a take.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"The guy making the insensitive joke was actually the only one with true empathy" sure is a take.
What is insensitive though? A comedian who is open and honest about his feelings and thoughts but polite enough to listen and use correct pronouns? Or some Liberal who says they are supportive and accepting of trans people but then insists they have a right to someone's medical history before sex and a trans person is guilty of rape if not disclosing the trans status?
And what is insensitive? The term ginger, for example, is widely debated. Some gingers hate South Park. I thought the Gingervitis episode was hilarious.
Is tranny insensitive? Ru Paul was called out for saying it. But he's black so he wouldn't be called out for using certain other words.
Is it insensitive to acknowledge someone has transitioned to female, acknowledging the past but using the present as a reference point?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
What is insensitive though? A comedian who is open and honest about his feelings and thoughts but polite enough to listen and use correct pronouns? Or some Liberal who says they are supportive and accepting of trans people but then insists they have a right to someone's medical history before sex and a trans person is guilty of rape if not disclosing the trans status?
And what is insensitive? The term ginger, for example, is widely debated. Some gingers hate South Park. I thought the Gingervitis episode was hilarious.
Is tranny insensitive? Ru Paul was called out for saying it. But he's black so he wouldn't be called out for using certain other words.
Is it insensitive to acknowledge someone has transitioned to female, acknowledging the past but using the present as a reference point?
Would you consider yourself an objective arbiter of what every single person in the world should be allowed to be offended by, or would you allow for the possibility of differing, yet equally valid, opinions on the subject?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Would you consider yourself an objective arbiter of what every single person in the world should be allowed to be offended by, or would you allow for the possibility of differing, yet equally valid, opinions on the subject?
That's a rather silly question of a reply to a serious question of what is insensitive. And who exactly gets to draw the line of what is insensitive and inappropriate and that which is good? Clearly this is a very subjective thing so how do we really decide?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
That's a rather silly question of a reply to a serious question of what is insensitive.
In your opinion, or by some objective standard for silliness?

And who exactly gets to draw the line of what is insensitive and inappropriate and that which is good? Clearly this is a very subjective thing so how do we really decide?
That depends; would you be able to accept that different people would be able to legitimately call a comedy routine "insensitive" or tasteless even though you might find it hilarious and awesome, or would you rather like to claim that everybody else's perception is invalid?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In your opinion, or by some objective standard for silliness?
It seems a normal standard that if someone asks a question to define something,and this question is answered with a question asking if the original asker assumes responsibility to define what was requested to be defined is a rather silly thing.
That depends; would you be able to accept that different people would be able to legitimately call a comedy routine "insensitive" or tasteless even though you might find it hilarious and awesome, or would you rather like to claim that everybody else's perception is invalid?
Everyone has their own opinions and feelings. But demanding people get "canceled," thinking someone should have to conform to your personal ideas of what should and shouldn't be, things like that I don't respect.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
It seems a normal standard that if someone asks a question to define something,and this question is answered with a question asking if the original asker assumes responsibility to define what was requested to be defined is a rather silly thing.
Sorry, but I see somebody rambling on and on over half a screen with a "but what is insensitive" tucked into the corner, I don't automatically assume that they're asking for my definition of something. That's probably my fault for not being used to the way you tend to communicate your ideas to people.

Here is my definition:
"insensitive" is an adjective signifying an attitude or reflection on an action that causes other people emotional distress, and denotes a lack of concern or care for the emotional distressed caused in such a manner.

I'm sure this will be useful to you.

Everyone has their own opinions and feelings. But demanding people get "canceled," thinking someone should have to conform to your personal ideas of what should and shouldn't be, things like that I don't respect.
I don't really give a flying eff about the kind of "respect" that comes from a myopic, self centered attitude that reflects a fundamental lack of empathy and care towards others, and your opinion and value judgement in this respect is largely irrelevant.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't really give a flying eff about the kind of "respect" that comes from a myopic, self centered attitude that reflects a fundamental lack of empathy and care towards others, and your opinion and value judgement in this respect is largely irrelevant.
Chappelle hasn't exhibited that behavior.
Amd to a degree, there does come a point when we must stop being sensitive and be ourselves. Being too sensitive isn't a good thing. The slope is slipper and steep.
Now, if you're talking about someone like Arthur Shawcross or David Berkowitz then it's true we shouldn't respect their thoughts regarding what they did, and they are described by what you provided in what I quoted above. Hitler also had a lot of views not deserving of respect or sympathy.
Dave Chappelle just isn't like that, and has asserted time and time again he's ok with us.
Really, he's honest that he accepts us but doesn't have a total tolerance of us. He's honest he tries to understand but doesn't. He calls himself a TERF, but he uses correct pronouns. He's clearly not the run of the mill trans hater.

Last edited: